• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Petulka

Petulka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

I am looking for a native speaker (bar staff, nanny, student) who wants to make a little bit of money (10/h) by talking to me in German. I had 6 years at school but have not used the language since. Looking for 1-2 h a week. Crystal Palace only. Thanks.

#2 Petulka

Petulka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

Or I could exchange for some babysitting etc. I have a good experience and references!

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

I may also be interested in similar. I also studied for 6 years in school but haven't used the language since. I can still remember a reasonable amount of vocab & grammar I think.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Me too! Come on Frau Poddy??

#5 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

How do you imagine this? Meeting up in a Caf and just having a chat in German or more intense than that?
Or a bit of a reading group? For ex. reading parts of the weekly SPIEGEL?
And what time of the day? I can't do evenings, but I guess an hour or so on a weekday morning would be do-able... :-)

Let me know how you would see this.

Btw, I am neither bar staff, nor a nanny nor a student... Sorry.

#6 emenane

emenane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

Hi Petulka,
I'm a native speaker of German, and in C Palace; not bar staff or any of the other, though.
you're welcome to pm me.

#7 K_H

K_H

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hello all,

If this turns into a group German session I'd be very interested. I'm halfway through a degree in German and would love the opportunity to practise the spoken stuff more frequently, in an informal setting. Unfortunately my free time is a bit limited: Thursday nights or weekends are good for me.

K_H

#8 dieckvoss

dieckvoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Hi, I am German and am happy to talk to anyone nearby. I am especially interested in swapping this with babysitting as I am deperately looking for babysitters! Cafe might be better than Pub but I am open... Any more concrete ideas? I am not a teacher though and can't do formal lessons... Best wishes, Stephanie (stephanie@dieckvoss-marsh.co.uk)
Stephanie D.

#9 K_H

K_H

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just to recap where this has got so far, we have four people keen to practise their German:

Charlie
Gekko
Petulka
K_H (me)

And three native speakers:

Dieckvoss
Emenane
Misspoddy

This must be close to a critical mass for some sort of reading group (personally I like misspoddy's Spiegel idea) or chatting-in-a-cafe group. I don't want to hijack where this goes though as it wasn't my thread in the first place.

The thorny issues remaining are a) when and B) some sort of recompense for the native speakers who will have to wade through our dodgy word order.

That was supposed to be a b, not a B) by the way.

#10 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ha ha ha, yes I always get those silly faces when I make a list that involves a) and B). Got on me nerves quite a few times...

Back on topic, funnily enough Petulka, who started this thread, doesn't seem to read what happened with it.

To your thorny issues K_H, indeed, a) is well thorny. To find a date, day etc where let's say 4 or 5 people (including the native speaker) are ALL available is often close to impossible....

I guess the best would be if we ALL throw in a time and day we could be available and then we could take it from there.

I could do Wednesday mornings at 9:30 and at a push Thursday mornings at 9:30 too. To meet for about an hour in for ex. Domalis.
I would see it as a conversation IN GERMAN obviously every week about for ex. The Spiegel. Like that we could cover German social life, politics etc. See news from a different angle and practice the language.

As for: bee close bracket. I would say something like a fiver as a drop in session by each attending non-German member. Or is that too little or too much? No idea to be honest. I am not sure I will be doing these anyway, so I guess the other Germans here should say what they think concerning little bee.

#11 Petulka

Petulka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello all,
apologies for not replying earlier! I found someone as soon as I posted it and forgot to follow this topic. I hope it worked out for you and you are all speaking fluently by now :)
Im doing once a week one to one in exchange for babysitting. Happy with the deal.

#12 K_H

K_H

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

I fear, exciting though this idea is, I will have to bow out as weekday mornings aren't compatible with my job. If anyone wants more formal tuition I can recommend someone nearby, PM me. Or if this reading group ever shifts to an evening slot do update this thread cos I will be in there like a shot!