Photo

Crystal Palace Park - Boating on the lower lake from Easter 2012?

crystal palace park boating

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Bromley council is planning to send out a procurement advert to let a boating service on the lower lake on Crystal Palace Park, to begin at Easter holidays until the end September 2012 and for 3 years with a potential to extend for a further 2 years.

Any views and comments on the proposal?

Good idea in principle?

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

Sounds good to me, as long as any revenue is ploughed back into the Park.

#3 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Ahoy there shipmates! A number of people have been asked by Bromley to submit views and comments on this proposal. Here's copy if email:

To: Community.Development@bromley.gov.uk
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:39:57 +0000
Subject: Boating on the lower lake on CPP from Easter w/e onwards

Dear All,

We are planning to send out an procurement advert to let a boating service on the lower lake on Crystal Palace Park, to begin at Easter holidays until the end September 2012 and for 3 years with a potential to extend for a further 2 years.

Any views/comments?

Best wishes,

Louisa

I would urge anyone who would like to submit comments to email to louisa.allen@bromley.gov.uk

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Sounds good to me, as long as any revenue is ploughed back into the Park.

Are you serious? Of course it wouldnt be. If it was then maybe the ranger people could be re deployed. But they wont.

I blame the FAT CAT BANKERS, and BORIS

#5 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

I remember boating back in the 80's it was such a great thing for the park - did the park gain the monies made from those days or was it private then?
I would be all for a boating lake again BUT only on the premise that the money would be ploughed back into the park (which is a very distant hope from past ventures mentioned to do with the park). I'm hoping for a revamped 'healthier' cafe too but I think I'm living in cloud-cuckoo land now!!!! A Tobogan run from the top to bottom of the park would also be a great thing but I'm really 'pushing the boat out now'... ^_^
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#6 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

Considering the attitude Bromley have to wildlife north of Beckenham, I'd be concerned this proposal could have a serious adverse impact on the biodiversity of the Tidal Lake, which is of Borough importance. Since the boats left there has been a increase in biodiversity linked to the reduced disturbance on the lake and the probable improvements in water quality.

If boats are returned to the same area and and used in the same way, we will for example lose the breeding Herons and we're far less likely to see the swans. Other less obvious wildlife that uses the lake will also decrease.

Fortunately the lake is huge and much of the previous problem was due to simply splitting the lake at it's narrowest point and the use of giant pedaloes(spelling?).
I'd support boats if
  • they used slightly less than the final quarter of the lakes, the northern area. Thats still an area bigger than Dulwich Park
  • No boating before 10:30am and after 4pm
  • The area is not allowed to be used for 'funfair dodgems'
  • All yearly profit, and I mean all, is 'ring fenced' for ongoing habitat mangment works for the rest of the Tidal Lake to mitigate and compensate for the adverse impact the boating will cause.
  • If there is any unexpected impact, (eg loss of Herons), then the activity must stop and boating be reassessed.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

The tree huggers & pc brigade will prob sabotage this for some very good reason I bet !

But used to be a key feature of the park when I was a kid when the Park was well used !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Yes, I'm very for this plan. And, I might be missing something obvious here, but how on earth will the park get anyone to run a boating service if they're not allowed to make a profit? Are they supposed to make this investment out of the goodness of their hearts?

#9 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Nana

The company will tender a bid for the privilege of running the boats. They will pay an annual charge to LBB, and keep any resulting profits/losses. Subcontracting, if you will.

Edited by St. Lukes Railings, 22 December 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#10 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

It aint gonna be much of a money spinner - costs of paying staff to oversee it will be close the income derived - as long as the prices arent too steep I couldnt give a monkeys if a private company makes a few bob - good on 'em - maybe in years to come, if it doesnt work out, it can be re-nationalised

#11 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

The tree huggers & pc brigade will prob sabotage this for some very good reason I bet !

But used to be a key feature of the park when I was a kid when the Park was well used !

Dazza

Dazza you'll be pleased to know that I've raised biodiversity issues!

Axean be good if you can find time to submit your considered observations.

I agree that it would be great if the lake could be brought back into use Nana Z. The issue around revenue is not about profit, it's about where the income generated from the hire of the lake is invested. Currently all income generated from commercial operations goes back into Bromley coffers and is redistributed borough wide, this works to CPP's disadvantage.

I believe there is a case to be made for CPP revenue to be ringfenced - it is Bromley's only heritage park and the only one proposed to be parceled off for housing to fund it. Managed properly and sympathetically the existing commercial activities in CPP could produce a significant chunk of the anual budget, which next year is expected to be in the region of £495,000.

#12 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Is there anyway of training the swans and herons for jet ski-ing?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#13 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

Oh I see, thanks SLR and CitM - it's about what happens to the 'licence to operate' money. Well in that case I agree with Chewder: it ain't gonna be much of a money spinner. So to attract any takers, the rent/licence/annual charge had better be of peppercorn proportions. In which case it doesn't matter that much where the money goes. Problem solved!

Fiscal Solutions by Nananomics

#14 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

Used to enjoy going on the boats at Dulwich and Battersea parks and at Blackpill as a kid, and it seems a nice idea at first thought. I remember the boats used to be tied up together at night and left in the water. However, given the ease of access, lack of security and the destructive tendencies of nocturnal visitors, they would need come up with some kind of practical solution. If they were made of wood or fibreglass, it wouldn't be long before they appear on YouTube in a re-enactment of of a Viking funeral. If metal, we can guess what would happen then.

I guess the real question is if this is part of some overall strategy for park amenities and services or just an isolated revenue generator for unrelated services? And why not include cycle hire like Dulwich park?
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

it would make people come to the park & hopefully spend money in other areas of the park too !

No brainer if you ask me !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crystal palace park, boating