#1 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

Question 1

You are standing in the middle of an island that is one mile long and fifty yards wide. The island is covered in vegetation that is very dry following a long drought.

The vegetation catches fire at one end of the island, and a strong wind is blowing this wall of fire towards you, burning the whole width of the island.

There's no beach - only sheer cliffs - and the sea is infested with sharks. The ground is too hard to dig a hole, and you have no means of escaping the island.

What can you do?

Question 2

An American who has never been to another country sees the Great Wall of China with his own eyes. He's standing on solid ground.

How is this possible?

Question 3

A man rode from Manchester to Liverpool on Friday. He stayed in Liverpool for three consecutive days and nights, never once leaving Liverpool. He then left on Friday.

How is this possible?

Question 4

A blind beggar had a brother who died. What relation was the blind beggar to the brother who died? (The answer isn't 'brother'.)

Question 5

Arthur lives with his parents in London.

Last week, while his parents were out, Arthur's next-door neighbour Sophie came round to spend the evening. At 8pm, she popped out to buy a newspaper.

Just then, two robbers broke into the house and, ignoring Arthur, stole the TV, an iPod and a computer.

Arthur had never seen the robbers before. They had no legal right to remove the goods yet he did nothing to stop them. In fact, he didn't even act surprised by what he saw.

Why not?

Question 6

A man went to a party and drank some of the punch. He then left early. Everyone else at the party who drank the punch subsequently died of poisoning.

He didn't put anything in the punch after he drank it, nor did anyone else.

Why did he not die?

Question 7

What is the furthest a dog can run into the woods?
And, some good questions for children (and easier ones for adults!)

Question 8

A man pushed his car. He stopped when he reached a hotel, at which point he knew he was bankrupt. Why?

Question 9

Five pieces of coal, a carrot and a scarf are lying on the lawn. Nobody put them on the lawn.

How did they get there?

Question 10

A man is dressed completely in black - shoes, socks, trousers, coat, gloves... everything. He's also wearing a black ski mask.

He's walking down a back street with all the street lamps off. A black car is coming towards him with its headlights off, but somehow manages to stop in time.

How did the driver see the man?

Question 11

A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires; the second is full of assassins with loaded guns; and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in three years.

Which room should he choose?

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Before I print this out for Xmas jolliment, Spoon, do you have the answers (and can you PM them to me upside down, ha ha?)

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

I do and I can. BUT not upside down. What to do?! Do you want me to wait a bit?

#4 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Excellent Spoon - Please can you pm me the answers too.

Before I print this out for Xmas jolliment, Spoon, do you have the answers (and can you PM them to me upside down, ha ha?)

What about invisible ink? :P or in code?

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

¡sɐɯʇsıɹɥɔ ʎddɐɥ (-؛ ¡ʎlıɯɐɟ ǝɥʇ llɐ ɹoɟ unɟ ɟo sɹnoɥ - sʇuoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn puɐ sǝzınb sɐɯʇsıɹɥɔ ɥʇıʍ ʇɐɥʍ - ǝǝɥ ǝǝʇ - uʍop ǝpısdn sɹɐǝddɐ ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ǝɹǝɥʍ ɹǝpun uʍop ɯoɹɟ ʞɔɐq ʇsnɾ

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

I am no lateral thinker, but 11. should be the lion option?

#7 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Aha! At last a brave person willing to stick their neck out with an answer!

When shall I post the full list of answers? I'll PM them to Gill and Charlie as they'll need them.

#8 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:06 PM

Must admit that most of these answers really came from the other half... But anyway - number 2 - is he the son of the American ambassador to China so born there? Number 4 - sister? Number 5 - cause he's a baby? Number 7 - the middle?

Think I know all the 'easy' ones but no clue as to the rest of the 'difficult' ones, particularly number 1!

#9 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Ok howsabout:

1. run to far end of island and wait for the fire to burn out :wacko:
2. He's standing on the moon.
3. He set off on Friday and arrived in Liverpool on Tuesday and stayed 3 nights.
4 & 5 What hild said
6 The poison was on ice - he left early so drank punch before ice melted...
7. half way - any further and dog would be running out of not into woods.
9Posted Image
10. It was day time.
11 the dead lions' room!

#10 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

You cannot see the wall from the moon. Big myth. From space maybe. But not the moon

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have been absent from virtual reality but seems it's time for the big reveal. SPOILER ALERT! Answers below.

I am posting them as they came, not supporting one way or the other.

Answer 1

You turn away from the fire and set fire to the vegetation on the other side of you to the fire.

The wind will blow this new fire away from you, burning the vegetation.

You then walk on this newly-burnt vegetation. The original fire won't be able to catch you because it will now run out of vegetation to burn.

Answer 2

The American is on the moon.

Answer 3

The man was riding a horse called Friday.

Answer 4

The beggar is his sister.

Answer 5

Arthur is a baby.

Answer 6

The poison was in the ice which hadn't melted when he drank the punch.

Answer 7

Halfway.

Answer 8

He was playing Monopoly.

Answer 9

A snowman had melted.

Answer 10

It was daytime.

Answer 11

The lions. If they hadn't eaten for three years, they'd be dead.