Photo

Fogos

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. Poor (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

I normally am keen to try new venues, but I can't drum up any enthusiasm to try out Fogos. I think that it was a mistake to just move in to the premises and do absolutely nothing to it decoratively. They have even left the old tapas boards on the exterior of the building..... bizarre. I know that they are probably trying to do things on the cheap, but a lick of paint wouldn't have cost much here and there inside in order to go a small way to stamping their own identity on the place.

Mind you, talking of identity, they seem to be having a bit of a crisis in that respect - what with starting out with a rotisserie type venture and then altering course to middle eastern.

I hope to be tempted eventually to go there, but I have no inclination at the moment. They will need to do a fair bit more to get people flooding through the doors.

I have to agree with you. I keep walking past trying to drum up the enthusiasm to walk in but the outside facade is really uninviting and also rather confusing. I love new businesses in the area but you will always see them trying to fit in with the area rather than just expecting people to fall through the door with little or no advertising...

Even if they have changed hands quite recently I can't understand the lack of media presence it has had on the local people attracting them in to try the food. I'm sure the grub is fantastic but if the outside is anything to go by I don't want to go in. They must have viewed the property to know the vastness of the restaurant and what would be involved to bring it up to a satisfactory level to open to customers... Having old tapas signs etc isn't really that acceptable when you're paying for an ambience and good quality food.

They have prime spot in the triangle but seem to have pressumed people will walk in without questions asked! This is not the case. Crystal Palace has such an array of independent restaurants why will they want to go in a confused and lacking in ambience space!!!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#17 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

I am more tempted by the Lebanese menu than the Brazilian steak house one, though. Had a quick shufti last night and it seemed well thought out (the menu I mean - agree with comments about the decor/publicity/identity crisis).

If anyone's brave enough to go in I'd love to hear about it!

#18 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have actually provided quite a thorough report - however, several off topics have moved the comment down....

..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#19 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

I agree that they need to do a bit more to get people in. I hope they succeed.

#20 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have actually provided quite a thorough report - however, several off topics have moved the comment down....

Yes, I've read the reviews of Fogos in its first reincarnation as a Brazilian steak house. I meant a report on the new menu - if it's any good it'd be a boon to the Triangle as far as I'm concerned, cos I love Lebanese./middle Eastern / north African /Turkish / Greek food. Anything with aubergines and yogurt basically.

#21 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes, I've read the reviews of Fogos in its first reincarnation as a Brazilian steak house. I meant a report on the new menu - if it's any good it'd be a boon to the Triangle as far as I'm concerned, cos I love Lebanese./middle Eastern / north African /Turkish / Greek food. Anything with aubergines and yogurt basically.

I did :

I tried this place today - well, met a couple of friends for lunch/dinner and told them to meet me at the Brazilian restaurant. They arrived before me but texted to ask if I meant the 'Lebanese' place...... When I arrived I knew what they meant - a restaurant wth an idendity crisis....

Starters are mainly falafel, houmus, baba ganoush etc. - nice flat bread served with it. Not bad but also not something to judge a restaurant on....
Main course; between the three of us we had :

Mixed grill (nice meat and well cooked)
Grilled chicken (perhaps a little on the dry side)
Grilled sea bass (really nice)

All of the dishes came with rice and salad - however served on ice cold plates (and I mean ICE cold) which was a shame as the food cooled down far too quickly.

The service was really nice and friendly but then to be expected as at 4pm we were the only customers in there.

I really wish them well, but with the tough competition here in the Palace, I can't see this working - my suggestions perhaps would be :

* decide which cuisine you want to offer (and do it well)
* sort out the heating as it was really chilly in there
* get a few ambient cd's rather than Celine Dion and friends .....
* investe a little bit of money and turn the front into a good cocktail bar - it's got great potential !!!!
* have more than 1 type of wine stocked

All in all - as I said it was really friendly service and the food was ok but really nothing special, but the huge space really needs to be filled to give it atmosphere !

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#22 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Doh! I actually remember reading this now. Senior moment to go with my fading eyesight.

#23 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

...Anything with aubergines and yogurt basically.

I'm with you on that!
Also like a bit of lamb when I'm not in vegatarian phase...

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Bleurgh...... aubergines :(

#25 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Yummy! I'll have yours :P
aka Pie

#26 lepiff

lepiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

We went there this week... Monday or Tuesday, don't quite remember which.

The food we had (babaganoush, falafel, the "spicy" sausages for starters and mixed grill to share for main) was good:
- the spicy sausages and babaganoush were good, although not quite what we were used to for these dishes (our experience is non-UK in this, so this style might be the norm here - unsure)
- the falafel was a bit bland, I thought it missed the herbs, but overall quite edible
- the pita bread that came with the mezze was plentiful, which was most welcome
- The grill:
- shish taouk good
- lamb could have used a bit more trimming, but quite tasty otherwise
- chicken very tasty

They didn't have any hoummous, which I thought was strange for a Lebanese place. The atmosphere is lacking, as the previous decoration is still up. It doesn't help that the place is almost empty either.

They wouldn't allow us to pay by card - the total came up to 27 pounds(ish), which is usually not a problem to pay for by card. I'm not sure I would go back to dine in but would not mind using them as a take-away as the food was good.

#27 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

angling for some disco / nite club vibe this eve - with smiley svelte welcomer on the doorstep to boot

#28 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Was surprised to see the place pumping out very loud latino disco tunes and more surprised by the (ahem) women who were in the bar !

#29 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

someone didnt bother to open the door or switch on the lights this eve - not sure if this means theyve given up or just not bothering to open at the end of a b hol wkend

#30 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Windows all boarded up now so I guess Fogo's is no more. They never really seemed to make much effort to advertise or make any changes to the venue so not overly surprised. Hopefully the site won't remain empty for long.