Photo

Fogos

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this restaurant? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. Poor (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Windows all boarded up now so I guess Fogo's is no more. They never really seemed to make much effort to advertise or make any changes to the venue so not overly surprised. Hopefully the site won't remain empty for long.

Hate seeing any business go under but must admit the CP Fogos venture seemed pretty half hearted and unfocused - even keeping the old tapas signage outside.

Hope the staff find new jobs soon. Do they really need to board the windows up? Sounds a bit ugly....

#32 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Not only does it sound ugly, it looks ugly. Not sure what the set up was with the freeholder but as a general comment rates and rents are making it difficult for local traders. Imagine the story behind the closure of Fogos has more to do with other factors though.

#33 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Isn’t the site owned by the developer who is planning Victory Place?

If his current record is anything to go by it might be boarded up for quite a while.

#34 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

I hope not Norwood Lad. This is a locally listed building - it should be an assett to the Triangle and being used. Hopefully there will be a swift transition to a new business.

#35 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

It's a great building, albeit a bit cavernous in the back. The front area could be a great little wine bar, one of the problems though is that you can't see in easily from the street. I think people would be more likely to pop in if they could easily see inside.

#36 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

WE went past on Tuesday evening for a bite to eat in the Palace. Guy was outside with doors open but no attempt was made to entice a passing punter into his restaurant.
Maybe the whole place was actually being used as a secret other agenda and not a restaurant (although the later was a half-hearted attempt)!!!! ;)
Oh well....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#37 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Absolutely agree SL - it's in desperate need of opening up to the street so people can have a nose from outside before they try it and so that it is welcoming. Of course the fact that it's a listed building will mean archaic rules and whoever takes it on will not be able to alter it at all - it'll remain boarded up / under continuous changes of ownership until a developer turns it into flats.

#38 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

I don't think the fact you can't see in from the street is a showstopper. Sure, it doesn't help matters but if a place is advertised well enough and builds a good reputation through word of mouth, it will do well. You can't see Numidie wine bar from the street but it's still really popular.

The main problem with this building is that it's huge. Any local restaurant/drinking establishment is going to struggle in a space so big. You'd get away with that in the city centre but not in CP. There are too many other restaurants and not enough people to fill them all. The new place that used to be Gautama has the same problem - great garden but the inside is too big. It looked dead at the weekend even though there were a few people in - you can see in the window there too and they still don't seem to be able to get it right.

What ideas do people on here have for the sort of business that could work in the Fogos space? I think it would make a great beer hall - I'm thinking continental lagers, bratwurst, mussels type of thing - a bit like Belgo I guess. Not sure if there'd be the market in CP but I think that would make better use of the space.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#39 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

They should split the space in half- The front would make a cool bar space. The back can then be a more intimate restaurant space. Make the bar part a destination in its own right and people will see its busy. People can then see theirs also a restaurant so it can have two markets, a stand alone bar and a restaurant.

Saying that its an ideal space and size for a Wetherspoons, maybe they should make the short hop down the road ;)

However, seeing as its owned by St Aidens Property and they have it earmarked for whatever they plan at Victory Place its doubtful they or anyone taking on the lease will want to invest significant sums in the place so it seems destined to bob along doing nought for the foreseeable future.

#40 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

A small cinema, with drinks and food?

#41 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

Now that would be an idea ;)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#42 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Walked past this place last night and it's reopened as SE19 - a cocktail bar and restaurant. Slightly better signage.
Love The Triangle...

#43 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Need to be Brahms to read the sign though ! I love the venue in fact I think it was my favourite vn social night there
I do agree you need to see in there before entering. The bar is a fantastic space

#44 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Have they altered the decor from the tired old Torreros days? (unlike their predecessors).

#45 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

There is a cinema sized screen inside for the footy but was showing some television programme today.
The signage refers to "Kenos" - weren't they at Island Fusion?
Love The Triangle...