#1 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

I like to dabble in shares & wonder if anyone has any share tips for 2012

I will start with Ashtead AHT which has been my best performe in my portfolio for 2011 but I feel there is still some mileage in this they are 2.26 which was near my trade sell price but have now increased this to 3.00 after recent events.

If you are a long term investor I am still a big fan of LLoyds you will never get a better time to buy this bank share for pence & when dividends come back into play I can easily see this share price hitting £1.50+ but this is long term & not a short term investment.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#2 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

I always knew you were a Rupert in disguise Dazza :)

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

Just a capitalist I am afraid ! Still prefer light & bitter to shampoo !

Dazza

#4 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I wish I had the nerve to dabble - watching this thread with interest....

#5 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

For a newbie & a safe bet I would go with Aviva a ftse 100 fav but a good punt 25% down on last year & they have done nothing wrong. Yield very good as well !

Better than leaving in a building society !

Dazza

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Aht up nearly 2% 52 week high ! LLoy up nearly 4% gone up more today than sticking money in building societyfor a whole year !

Dazza

PS SL Aviva up nearly 4% as wellm!

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Ashtead nearly 2.50 this morning half of my holdings will be sold today as soon as it hits 2.50 hoping they will hit 3.00 later on this year ! Purchased at 74p very smug look on face

Hope some of you took my advice on aviva 3.67 today was teetering at around 3.00 beginning of january !

Might treat myself to a very expensive bottle of port tonight

Good Potential shares Bloomsbury of Harry Potter fame moving big into ebooks with amazing returns one to watch for sure approx 1.10 & Premier Food ( hovis Branston etc) still in a bit of a pickle but if their marketing strategy & refinancing kicks in it should be moving in an upwards way buy for pence at the moment worth a punt approx 12p

Dazza

PS Surely I am not the only one who dabbles on here ! or are you all trying to save the world ?

#8 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Looks like you can now buy shares in facebook. Should be right up your street, Dazza. :D

#9 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

PS Surely I am not the only one who dabbles on here ! or are you all trying to save the world ?

Back in 1998, in-between saving the world and my day job, I bought £2,600 shares in an offshore wind-turbine company. 10 years later, they made me £45,600. Move over, Warren Buffett :lol: I put most of it into my mortgage, took two long-haul holidays and saved the same amount again to reinvest, this time in the company's data-station-cooling project in the Texas desert. Fingers crossed! :)

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have long wanted to have a little dabble on the stock market. I just need a crash course for absolute beginners as I have no idea how to go about it!

#11 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Mine was complete beginner's luck, SL! :D

Dazza - business opportunity?!

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hold up! I was thinking more along the lines of a favour in return for a pint or two or a ruby!

#13 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Well they hit the big £2.50 so sold half my stake still think there is a lot of mileage in AHT though but i am not greedy !

Gillw you put me to shame, I am obviously the pupil here !

Share clubs are one way to by a stake in a porfolio or start or a share dealing plan whch you can pay anything from £20 -£250 a month I have one with the halifax it allows you to buy shares in companies which you wouldnt usually buy into very cheaply !

More than happy to offer advice for beer but it really isnt that hard but remember shares can go down as well as go up !

Dazza

#14 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Although I work in financial market data, I don't have time to actually follow the markets that closely. I just make sure everything's working as it should! It's not a bad time to invest in large companies that provide essential services and are in pretty sound shape. Especially if you're interested in the mid-to-long term or in drawing income from dividends. A lot of companies are undervalued right now and the P/E ratio (price/earnings) is quite attractive. A lot of share prices are relatively low, simply for the fact that investors have taken money out of the market, not necessarily because a company is performing badly.

Just 2 points, 1) Don't invest too much, especially not in a single company 2) Don't invest if you think you'll need the money sometime soon. If share prices fall, you should be prepared to hold on to them until they recover their value.

I'll leave the individual share tips for Dazza, but I think it's a pretty good time to invest (cautiously). Equities outperform just about any other investment in the long term. I've put my money where my mouth is, by just opening a junior ISA for my daughter. That's an equities fund, but one I am (and she is) lucky to enjoy a 0% initial charge on, as my brother used to work for the company.

#15 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Just found this thread - i dabble and after a break i'm looking to grow my portfolio over the next few months - interested in reading what others are thinking (despite a personal no listening to tippers rule)!