#16 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hi Curzon

How about throwing a few tasters in ! Just sold a portion of my portfolio & looking to diversify a bit ! I was thinking of more bank shares (RBS) but my portfolio is quite top heavy with them at the moment.

Before we start your not going to preach about ethical shares or anything ? Just checking !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#17 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

I have long wanted to have a little dabble on the stock market. I just need a crash course for absolute beginners as I have no idea how to go about it!

I'm interested in this too but would also appreciate some practical advice. It's not just the 'who to invest in' but 'how to do it' bit. What is the best route to go through for buying shares? Share clubs have been mentioned on this thread but how does one find out about them?

So, I think there are two strands here - share tips and the actual practicalities.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#18 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hi Curzon

How about throwing a few tasters in ! Just sold a portion of my portfolio & looking to diversify a bit ! I was thinking of more bank shares (RBS) but my portfolio is quite top heavy with them at the moment.

Before we start your not going to preach about ethical shares or anything ? Just checking !

Dazza

Today's ADFN report:
Banking peers Lloyds, Royal Bank of Scotland and Barclays were also in demand, all shrugging off a downgrade from Nomura. The broker cut its ratings for Lloyds and RBS from neutral to reduce earlier today, saying that "both groups are banking sector restructuring stories and therefore geared to market risk appetite, and we regard the current sector rally as a selling opportunity in what are likely to be drawn-out recovery projects in both cases." Meanwhile, Barclays was cut from buy to neutral on the back of a challenging earnings outlook.

#19 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

http://www.halifax.c...ar-investments/

To get yourself stared try this regular monthly plan to wet your lips !

Once you have got a bit more confidence you can open a normal share dealing account & lodge any existing shares into your account ( no more hard copy docs anymore)

Dazza

#20 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for that Dazza - will take a look.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#21 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I'd be interested in wine investment - particularly English wine. Apparently we produce wine that is as good as champagne but it obviously cannot be called that as only 'champagne' from Champagne region can take the name.

But climate change is having it's effects on the English grape...

#22 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

re "ethical" I don't think you need to worry Dazza

Let me have a proper look this week and i'll come back to your with a few i think will go ok. I'm generally a fairly long term investor - looking for value and plenty of cash on the balance sheet (not difficult at the moment) but with an eye to fast growing / turnaround shares rather than stalwarts/cyclicals.

At the moment i might as well take the risk that i may lose some of my cash - hopefully not my shirt - since there are not really any other returns out there.

#23 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Cheers Curzon i can see you fall in the Gillw category !

Will await your suggestions !

Dazza

#24 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Wish i had taken my own advice on Aviva earlier in the year 3.70 now ! Still have cash in account from last trade to buy a new product with potential growth !

Have been looking at Marstons ( the brewery) of late !

Dazza

#25 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

I completely forgot about this thread Dazza - it just occurred to me as i was haivng a scout around some shares.

Tbh i haven't got very far, every time i think i'll have some time to look into some companies i get bogged down in work.

I went a bit off piste and bought some AEP:LN in March which has gained but started to slip back (and - apart from the global situation - i'm not sure why - apart from a reliance on palm oil prices, the financials look good, p/e is strong - interested in thoughts). I think i am going to stick with it.

A couple of other odd companies i looked at (for me) were IBM - i didn't get in and it appears that the tech stocks are slowing considerably though they have plenty of cash (anyone who bought Facebook at its IPO must have been barking mad) and UK Coal which i am still looking at.

I need to take some proper time to think about my strategy (as far as i can have one) but tbh it may be that I wait for the Eurozone to collapse and then try and hoover up companies dirt cheap.

I don't like mining stocks, too much of a punt, but a mate of mine got in on SYR:AU though only at $1. Would have been a handy buy at 0.08$!!

how you finding things?

#26 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Portfolio slipping a bit but nothing you can do about it when greece & spain are going down the swanney !

Have never really looked at mining as i feel its a bit of lottery depending if they strike it rich or not but obviously big gains could be made when they do ! With you on facebook mate I can believe that anyone would take a punt on how many users visit their website regardless that it runs into millions. Has 90's .com stock written all over it !

However Bloomsbury ( Harry Potter publisher ) I am hoping is a sleeping giant now but if anyone can tell me why this share price is not moving in the right dirction after their last 2 year trading results is beyond me ?

Dazza

#27 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Interesting on the puiblishing side - my brother is in the business and there's a real issues with e-books and authors going it alone. The major publishers have failed to realise that they will struggle to price ebooks at the same price as dead tree books and have come up against a) smaller publishers B) self-publishers (e.g. Rowling's own site) using the minimal overheads of ebooks and undercutting them. The market has exapanded (the old "long tail" benefit of the internet comes into play) but the bigger guys (i think) have failed to properly appreciate how the publishing world is changing. Paying footballers £1m for an awful autobiography just isn't going to cut it.

That said, i haven't looked at Bloomsbury's fundamentals and will have a gander.

#28 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hope you guys took advantage of my tip for Ashtead ( AHT) just broke thru the 3.00 mark this morning on upbeat 1st qtr results once divi rcvd will sell half of current holdings again !

Extremely smug Dazza !

Dazza

#29 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Ashtead ( AHT) just tore thru the 3.40 mark today will sell my final stock at £3.50 & just set up a trade plan.

Purchased some RBS shares recently & have seen a steady growth since purchase but feel these are still very volatile & would like to sell these as well & take the money & run.

Always looking for share tips to investigate !

Dazza

PS Remember shares can go down as well as up & i am sure a few people on ere would be glad to hear I have come a cropper a few times as well but i am in a bit of a golden period at the moment I am happy to report !

#30 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

The most successful investor was Noah , he floated stock while everything around him went into liquidation .
The most successful female investor was Pharaoh's daughter , she went to the Nile bank and floated a prophet.