40 replies to this topic

#31 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Remember a Jew once telling me that most people thought they owned the west bank but he said this was not true & that they own every bloody bank !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Update

Ashtead shares have hit 4.13 recently another reported profit record achieved recently raised my sell price to 4.50 for the last of my holdings.

Aviva steady rise since new ceo put in charge took my own advice & now making steady progress hold

RBS/ LLOyds have both have hit 52 week highs hold

New Purchases today wessex oil vey specualtive purchase but as my portfolio has increased over 25% in last year thought I could take a bit of a gamble.

Potential future purchases Royal Sun Alliance

Dazza

#33 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thank god the yanks pulled their finger out regards their finances.

My portfolio bounced back to 2012 high + this morning

Tips for 2013 RSA & WSX keep an eye on them !

Dazza

#34 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well my PF has now grown over 30 % in the last 3 months hope some of you joined in my Ashtead shares tip which has passed all my expectations but will clear the last of stock when they hit 4.50 which i gues will be in the next few weeks !

Lloyds & RBS hitting 52 weeks high again RBS will inccur the libor fine this week so obviously want sp will dip but stick with it I expect them to rise even further this year as well ! Top tip wait to buy RBS share just after the libor fine if you want to make a quick buck ! My BE price for LLOY 37 & RBS 261

Aviva making good progress too !

Just to prove I do pick some dogs still holding onto bloomsbury 1.16 still cant understand why this doesnt fly but awaiting christmas trading results tommorrow ! Cross fingers

Premier foods why on erath I picked this is beyond me but will prob have to hold for a while to recoup my investment but a minnow in my PF anyway thank god !

Nearly up to gillw share exploits now !

Ftse 100 now consistantly over 6000 confidence is returning to the stock market !

Dazza

#35 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Dazza - enjoying this thread. No clue what you are on about but it's entertaining nonetheless. Do you even know all the mad hand signals in the stock market? Do brokers still do all that? I'll take look at the link you suggested a while back re familiarisation.

Hang on....Gekko interuppted my typing by saying " guess how much andy murrays career prize money to date? 25 million dollars. Since beginning of Jan he has earned 80k. Not including sponsorship"

Where's my racquet?

#36 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Just trying to spread my expert advice if you did you would have earned more than you have in your building society in the last 3 years.

Always on the lookout for a share tip or any snippet of information on any stock however small which gives me the edge ! Every little helps !

I used to work for Chase Manhatten years ago now JP Morgan ! You are talking about the exchange floor which is no more & computerised only a few pits still exist in the city nowadays shame as they used to bring a lot of colour in the city in its day .

Dazza

PS Citizen M put me onto fracking companies didnt think about it until she posted the initial story on another thread ! I know that will vex her though !

Edited by Dazza, 13 January 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#37 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

The only "open outcry" trading pit left in London is the London Metals Exchange. Everything else is electronic now.

You got any energy companies in your portfolio, dazza? Someone like SSE is worth considering. The dividends are especially good.

Which brings me on to another point. Everyone seems to be looking just at the share price. But that fails to take into account the dividends. I know conventional wisdom has it that companies that pay good dividends are just for people who want to draw an income from them (e.g. pensioners). But if you're going for growth, you can still invest in one of these companies and simply re-invest the dividends into more shares. If re-investment is taken into account, these companies suddenly look like a much better bet.

Looking at share prices alone is just speculation (not that there's anything wrong with that). But there are much more defensive strategies that you can employ.

Personally, I'd look to large midcaps, who make or sell something physical (I see Facebook etc. as the next dotcom crash waiting to happen). If they have plenty of cash and a strong market position, all the better. Then, as I touched on before, if you don't need the dividends, re-invest them in the stock.

#38 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi Eagle Must admit my shares are based on Sp growth rather than yield return however have started to move into share which carry a percieved high yield such as Aviva !

I still feel my Banks have an awful lot of growth to go but understand there are rumours of a small divi from lloyds later on this year which will drive price up even more !

I reckon LLoyds will even hit the giddy height of 100 by the end of the year !

I have no utility shares whatsoever but will take a gander very soon will be trading very shortly & looking to put some of my earnings in a more stable area which other a good return .

Cheers ears & enjoy your curry will ask Manik to put a Bangla on my tab mate for that tip !

#39 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

NP. Diversifying can only be a good think IMO. But it depends in how risk hungry you are and what you're investing for. Maybe I'll get him to keep the Bangla on ice and we'll see how it does first ;)

#40 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Ashstead now above £6 - nice tip Dazza (not that I followed it unfortunately) - interested in people's thoughts post Euro-wobble (first of many), post US slow-down, post budget? I reckon developers are going to build on the gains they've made over the last 12+ months in the light of the government trying to re-inflate the property bubble...(interesting to see the US seem to have re-inflated theirs already).

Generally I've not been an income investor but I do think diversification even if only across multiple industries rather than in share "types" is good way to go...talking of which, Tesco's rally to continue (I've never believed the Sainsbury's hype) or with their recent (fairly small) acquisitions have they "diworsified"?

#41 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

The only "open outcry" trading pit left in London is the London Metals Exchange. Everything else is electronic now.

You got any energy companies in your portfolio, dazza? Someone like SSE is worth considering. The dividends are especially good.

Which brings me on to another point. Everyone seems to be looking just at the share price. But that fails to take into account the dividends. I know conventional wisdom has it that companies that pay good dividends are just for people who want to draw an income from them (e.g. pensioners). But if you're going for growth, you can still invest in one of these companies and simply re-invest the dividends into more shares. If re-investment is taken into account, these companies suddenly look like a much better bet.

Looking at share prices alone is just speculation (not that there's anything wrong with that). But there are much more defensive strategies that you can employ.

Personally, I'd look to large midcaps, who make or sell something physical (I see Facebook etc. as the next dotcom crash waiting to happen). If they have plenty of cash and a strong market position, all the better. Then, as I touched on before, if you don't need the dividends, re-invest them in the stock.

did you buy into SSE Dazza? up from 14.43 on the day i posted to 15.62 today. Not a huge jump, but the dividends are nice on it!