• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Here's an exciting new game for 2012.

Whenever there is news of a criminal assault in the local area, simply speculate about the ethnic origin of the perpetuator and the victim. Extra bonus points if there are rumours of the weapon(s) used.

We just need a volunteer to run a book, as betting on the outcome will make this really nail-biting fun for all the family.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#2 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'll volunteer as the impartial person I am.

#3 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

Unfortunately I think most bookmakers would close their book as the stats indicate the majority of violent street crime in this part of the world is within the afro/caribbean community -thats only a small proportion of said sector - and the people who I feel most sorry for are the vast majority of Black British law abiding souls who are tarred with this same brush - but the problem does need to be addressed I think

re the incident outside the Phoenix Centre - am fairly sure it was a "do" of allured to culture - I would be surprised if assailant and victim werent from that community - but that is just speculation, an educated huess if you like - SLRs comments were probably said with frustrtation that this situation doesnt seem to being sorted and the sort of thugs who perpetrate such heinous acts hide behind do-gooders who always give the benfit of the doubt and thereby give tacit licence to these thugs - until we get realistic and deal with it head on the problem isnt going to go away - and the more excuses we make for these people - the greater the difficulty of turning the situation around

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

I just wish i wouldnt jump the gun and not put my points as eloquently as chewder puts it. Apologies for any offence caused but fundamentally, my thoughts are the same.

#5 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Unfortunately I think most bookmakers would close their book as the stats indicate the majority of violent street crime in this part of the world is within the afro/caribbean community -thats only a small proportion of said sector - and the people who I feel most sorry for are the vast majority of Black British law abiding souls who are tarred with this same brush - but the problem does need to be addressed I think

re the incident outside the Phoenix Centre - am fairly sure it was a "do" of allured to culture - I would be surprised if assailant and victim werent from that community - but that is just speculation, an educated huess if you like - SLRs comments were probably said with frustrtation that this situation doesnt seem to being sorted and the sort of thugs who perpetrate such heinous acts hide behind do-gooders who always give the benfit of the doubt and thereby give tacit licence to these thugs - until we get realistic and deal with it head on the problem isnt going to go away - and the more excuses we make for these people - the greater the difficulty of turning the situation around

Am in agreement with Chewie - excellently put.

#6 SimonC

SimonC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

And to that you can add Male as the most likely sex to have been the assailant and the victim.

And most likely to be straight.

So if it is racist to speculate on the ethnic origin, have I now added sexism and homophilia to the mix?

Edited by SimonC, 03 January 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

... add Male as the most likely sex to have been the assailant and the victim. ..And most likely to be straight....

... - and the more excuses we make for these people - the greater the difficulty of turning the situation around

;)

#8 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

And to that you can add Male as the most likely sex to have been the assailant and the victim.

And most likely to be straight.

So if it is racist to speculate on the ethnic origin, have I now added sexism and homophilia to the mix?

No you haven't, all you're doing is trivialising an important point.

The point is, there's no point in speculating that it's a crime committed from someone from the black community just for the sake of it. It's not overtly racist no (an no one's calling anyone a racist) but it does smell of a them and us attitude to many and will get people's backs up and it does nothing to address the problems. It does the opposite. You'll find that social division has a big part to play in crime as well.

Don't worry, I'm not going all tree buggy and liberal on you, I do recognise that general materialistic greed, drugs blah blah probably has a greater role to play. Violent crime (if that is what this is) needs a a hard, tough approach to tackle it damn quickly but that will only deal with the short term. For a long term solution we have to take a longer, harder look in the mirror and dig deeper to a whole plethora of root causes and sort those.

hide behind do-gooders who always give the benfit of the doubt and thereby give tacit licence to these thugs - until we get realistic and deal with it head on the problem isnt going to go away - and the more excuses we make for these people - the greater the difficulty of turning the situation around

I might be misinterpreting this but just because someone has an issue with someone speculating that a whole community is responsible for a crime, it doesn't make them a softy who invites crime. IMHO it makes them someone far more capable of recognising and solving some root causes of crime and demonstrates that they've woken up to the fact that we are all one big community, rather than believing the problem only exists in someone else's community and should be sorted by them.

#9 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I might be misinterpreting this but just because someone has an issue with someone speculating that a whole [ethnically defined subset of the?] community is responsible for a crime, it doesn't make them a softy who invites crime. IMHO it makes them someone far more capable of recognising and solving some root causes of crime and demonstrates that they've woken up to the fact that we are all one big community, rather than believing the problem only exists in someone else's community and should be sorted by them.

yep.
(assuming my addition to your text is correct?)

#10 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Indeed you're spot on with your addition Ziwa and thanks for clarifying.

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

Cityview, I think that you may well have misinterpreted Chewie's comment. I don't think that anyone on VN has suggested that an entire community should be blamed for an individual's actions or that it must be up to that community alone to rectify any issues.

#12 Trixta

Trixta

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

Whenever there's a stabbing involving any number of young IC3 males, I can almost guarantee you that the media will refer to them as 'youths' for fear of offending the IC3 community.

#13 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Cityview, I think that you may well have misinterpreted Chewie's comment. I don't think that anyone on VN has suggested that an entire community should be blamed for an individual's actions or that it must be up to that community alone to rectify any issues.

Well perhaps Chewie can expand on it if I've misinterpreted their point. It might be exactly their point.

#14 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Whenever there's a stabbing involving any number of young IC3 males, I can almost guarantee you that the media will refer to them as 'youths' for fear of offending the IC3 community.

Couldnt have put it better myself. As a resident of East London for many years this was the case in reporting 'race' crime. This is not Brighton or any other outpost most people on here come from.

Shame the other thread was closed as I have a lot of 'facts' to put to people with their blinkered utopian left wing lives.

#15 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I think you'll find that the offence described is based around the effect of the media’s reportage of crime and the disproportionate attention it gives to black perpetrator crimes to perpetuate the blinkered extremist view that presents minority groups as potentially dangerous criminals.

Just in case anyone else wants to post in code the ethnicity classification list is as follows:

IC1 White person
IC2 Mediterranean person
IC3 African/Caribbean person
IC4 Indian, Nepalese, Pakistani, Maldivian, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, or any other (South) Asian person
IC5 Chinese, Japanese, or South-East Asian person
IC6 Arabic, Egyptian or Maghreb person

Shame the other thread was closed as I have a lot of 'facts' to put to people with their blinkered utopian left wing lives.

The thread was closed due to posters being abusive with each other not the the content of the discussion. I hope it opens soon as I'm keen to read your facts and have a few of my own to add to the mix...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympic 2012