Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Elmo as far as i am concerned you're in Coventry ! :D

Dazza IC1

PS now where does that saying come from !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sorry. When I wrote for fear of offending the IC3 community, what I meant was forcing them to confront and face-up to their own, collective responsibilities. Not persistently overlook the fact that a disproportionate number of violent offenders that emanate from their community. Things will eventually come to a head if they don't.

In that case I'm sorry but what you are writing makes even less sense to me. You are correct to point out that a "disproportionate number of violent offenders emanate from their (IC3) community" but where do you get the idea that this offends that community?

My understanding is that the crime data horrifies as opposed to offends that community, remember it is after all mainly young black males who make up the victims' list and who are over represented as suspects for certain crimes such as robbery, drugs and firearms offences. It appears that young black people are over represented at all stages of the criminal justice system.

This needs to be addressed in meaningful ways and not by seeking to apportion blame on one section of our community or, as you say, "things will come to a head".

#33 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

I find this IC1/2/3/4 talk devisive by it's very nature. With mixed-race becoming even more prevelant, it's a useless categorisation. The kind of crime we're talking about is street crime. It's not down to any one race. London rioters were of all races, and white/mixed kids in hoods intimidate me as much as black kids in hoods.

And race is a social construct with no basis in science in any case. As much as some nasty politicians would try and convince us otherwise.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#34 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Agreed its pathetic if someone is black call them black if someone is white call them white if someone is green call them green !

But we all now why the police have to categorise people like this ! Tree huggers & the PC bigade !

Dazza IC1 with a little bit of IC3 in me if you go down my family tree far enough !

Dazza

PS These are not the droids you are looking for !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#35 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

I agree with Elmo that race should be irrelevant in how people are judged in society. I also think that society should look for any help they can in tackling gang culture and it's tragic repercussions, and that may include asking for assistance from among some ethnic groups where the rate of gangland crime per ethnic make up is significantly higher than normal, be that amongst white northern europeans, eastern europeans, west africans, asians or whatever.

Maybe when street gangs all become of mixed ethnicity (as some indeed are now) can we say we have beaten racism effectively :(

#36 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

I find this IC1/2/3/4 talk devisive by it's very nature. With mixed-race becoming even more prevelant, it's a useless categorisation. The kind of crime we're talking about is street crime. It's not down to any one race. London rioters were of all races, and white/mixed kids in hoods intimidate me as much as black kids in hoods.

And race is a social construct with no basis in science in any case. As much as some nasty politicians would try and convince us otherwise.

I have to take issue with that. Overwhelmingly the main perps were ic3 (sorry) why do we / the beeb try to deny that. As a bad vigilante such as I was in palace on those nights I can categorically say it was ic3. Elmo I do take on board what you say. The ic scale gets blurred big time. Even in Kent. Is Barack black? No he's mixed race. So not black as the beeb etc would have us believe Why is he more black than white ?

#37 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

During the height of the slave trade, commonly recognised terms were used to describe the appearance of slaves, based on colour of grandparents, for sale and record keeping purposes. Together with physical stature, the classification could be used to determine perceived suitability for certain types of work.

For many informed people, any attempt to classify persons by racial appearance will always be seen to have such negative connotations. So the result is Identity Codes have been created which tries to group appearance like primary colours without giving a clue to the shade in the name.

The ethnic mix of this city is changing faster than at any time since I was born and there is more pressure on limited funds and services than ever. Our prejudices are formed from what we don't understand or feel threatened by. And if we don't have the facts, what better guide do we have to rely on?

If you have ever served on a jury, then you should realise how difficult it is to avoid letting your own perceptions of a defendent based on appearance, mannerisms, speech, etc., cloud your judgement.

Prejudice will always fuel the perception of crime, regardless of whether the facts support it or not. Good or bad, it's just human nature.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#38 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have to take issue with that. Overwhelmingly the main perps were ic3 (sorry) why do we / the beeb try to deny that. As a bad vigilante such as I was in palace on those nights I can categorically say it was ic3. Elmo I do take on board what you say. The ic scale gets blurred big time. Even in Kent. Is Barack black? No he's mixed race. So not black as the beeb etc would have us believe Why is he more black than white ?

Depends where you were. Overall (throughout the UK) the Ministry of Justice figures were as follows, and there are some interesting points in there...

Comparisons by ethnicity (where ethnicity was recorded) show that 42 per cent of those brought before the courts were White, 46 per cent were from a Black or mixed Black background, 7 per cent were from an Asian or mixed Asian background, 5 per cent were other.

Link: http://www.justice.g...etin-241011.pdf

But even here we have the concept of "mixed black" ... So when is an IC3 actually a (IC3 + IC1)? It points to the number of IC3s involved being lower that IC1s.

But yes, Barak is mixed race, Hallie Berrie is mixed race, and believe it or not, so was Bob Marley. Makes me wince whenever they're referred to as Black. You can't deny 50 per cent of your make up.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#39 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

Nicely put Elmo.

And borgus for that matter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympic 2012