• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

Is there anyone that has access to an early 1970's telephone directory that can give me the correct address for Commercial & General Typewriters in Church road.

#2 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Kelly's London street directory of 1972 has "West Central Typewriter Co Ltd, commercial stationers" at No 58. Could that be them?

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

Looking at google street view West Central Typewriter Co Ltd would have been in totally the wrong place.
The funny thing is I have no recollection of any other typewriter firm in the area.

Commercial & General typewriter company building was either the empty space on the corner of Milestone Road/Church road or the building next door (A letting agency or estate agent on google street view)

The first time I worked there was on Saturday mornings and school holidays in 1960/61 (After spending a few moments admiring the model train set up in the model shop window almost oposite I think you used to put a penny in the slot to make them run)

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

OK, second try: The 1980 'phone book has Commercial & General Typrwriter Co P L Drake (Business Equipment) Ltd at No 21 which is now "On the House" estate agents'. The gap is now filled in.

#5 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

OK, second try: The 1980 'phone book has Commercial & General Typrwriter Co P L Drake (Business Equipment) Ltd at No 21 which is now "On the House" estate agents'. The gap is now filled in.

WOW ! many thanks Chris.
I was starting to think my memory was flawed but you have confirmed it is not.
Drake was the name of the owner so it's the correct firm.
Many thanks............