• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

What's going down with the Beeb's signers?

WATERFORD DEAF SIGNER, James Power, was fired by the British Broadcasting Corporation for improper conduct. The BBC stated today that "He won't be appearing on the channel any longer."
The 28-year-old signer was a regular interpretor and had been with the station for over 3 years. The BBC studio was inundated with complaints regarding the man's rude antics.
A decision came to fire Mr. Power after a "thorough investigation by the Channel". Power was accused of intentionally misinterpreting the on screen dialogue for his own self amusement.

As deaf audiences tuned in for their usual late night programming, they were greeted with a litany of lewd acts and indecent behaviour. Power also mislead the audience on a number of occasions. During the screening of David Attenboroughs "Life", Power, decided to script his own narration for the show.

In this instance, Attenborough was talking about the history of the common domestic cat, but instead of interpreting the naturalist, Power signed the dialogue "I love cats, when I was a young boy I used to chase them around in my parents back garden, wearing only my Kitti-Kat stained Y-fronts and my dads tartan slippers. Cats are very sexy and really warm in the Winter."
Complaints about the young man started back in January after viewers confirmed that he "dry humped" a large sea turtle during a live signing of a BBC nature programme.
http://www.waterford...rticle.php?id=8

and this:

BBC News: A prominent BBC News sign language interpreter has been sacked after complaints from deaf people revealed that she was ‘sometimes embellishing, sometimes just making stuff up.

Leslie Grange, 32, has been a sign language interpreter for seven years. In a statement today she cited ‘personal difficulties – particularly a crushing professional boredom’ as to why, over the past six months, she had started deviating from what was actually being reported, giving deaf viewers an often ‘wildly different version of events’.
Questions started to be raised around the time of the Japanese earthquake when several viewers emailed us to complain about our reports of radioactive zombies sighted near the nuclear reactor. We dismissed them as some sort of organised hoax.”

However, when there were similar numbers getting in touch to ask if Rebekah Brooks was really in trouble for raping a monkey, and why the BBC was claiming that, as a special summer treat, the Prime Minister had told the nation’s teenagers they didn’t have to pay for anything any more, we realised something was wrong.”
I would like to apologise to everyone in the deaf community,” Grange told reporters today, “though when I had Cameron tell Obama “your statesmen-like profile leaves my willy plump” – well, frankly I don’t think that is so very far from the truth.”

http://attherimmm.bl...ng-up-news.html

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Seems we in the hearing community have been missing out :( I sign very, very badly unlike much of my family (my eldest nephew is deaf) - wish I had kept the lessons up!

Seems we in the hearing community have been missing out :( I sign very, very badly unlike much of my family (my eldest nephew is deaf) - wish I had kept the lessons up!

#3 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Questions started to be raised around the time of the Japanese earthquake when several viewers emailed us to complain about our reports of radioactive zombies sighted near the nuclear reactor. We dismissed them as some sort of organised hoax.”

However, when there were similar numbers getting in touch to ask if Rebekah Brooks was really in trouble for raping a monkey, and why the BBC was claiming that, as a special summer treat, the Prime Minister had told the nation’s teenagers they didn’t have to pay for anything any more, we realised something was wrong.”
I would like to apologise to everyone in the deaf community,” Grange told reporters today, “though when I had Cameron tell Obama “your statesmen-like profile leaves my willy plump” – well, frankly I don’t think that is so very far from the truth.”

http://attherimmm.bl...ng-up-news.html

Too funny!
(Obviously very unfortunate for the deaf community as it exploited their needs to get a cheap laugh. But I'd hope that since the perps lost their jobs, the last laugh was appropriately had by all.....)

I learned French partly from a practical joker who loved to tell me wrong words for things and set me up for searing embarassment. I was so ernestly trying to use my new language with people I needed to impress (living in a Francophone country and trying to do a challenging job), when I'd come out with hugely hilarious naughty statements when I thought I was being excruciatingly polite and precise. I laugh now! But at the time it was agony.

#4 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Looks like a fake news report, and a quick search supports that. Obviously you all new this and were just playing along ;)

Suppose you could spin this off into a discussion about how the internet is expertly blurring the distinction between truth & reality.
Would you have believed this story if it was in The Guardian/Daily Mail?

Looks like the source may have been The Poke website (arguably not safe for work)
Looking at their '200 pics that made our year' (definately not safe for work) it's impossible to be confident about which are real, staged, or created using image editing software

Eg

Real, Staged, or Edited (I though I should edit out one of the words)
Posted Image

Real, Staged, or Edited?
Posted Image

Real, Staged or Edited
Posted Image

#5 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Fake news report? *shakes head in disbelief* Never mind that Axean, what about this:

Mild winter brings no moral lesson for lazy grasshopper

BRITAIN'S relatively pleasant winter weather has taught absolutely nothing to an idle grasshopper that ignored the advice of an industrious ant.

Grasshopper Tom Logan spent the summer months fornicating with lady grasshoppers, making self-indulgent leg music and only doing about three hops during the whole time, while his friend the ant worked slavishly to store food for the winter months.

Posted Image

The constant grinding pressure to get leaves.

He said: “The ant kept on saying I had to get my life together, giving me disapproving looks with his expressive little ant face while struggling beneath some edible object forty times his size.

“But I did not store any food, because I am lazy and arrogant.

“Now I am fine and the ant is dead.

“He collapsed last week, having spent his short life cycle in a loop of arduous, back-breaking labour that was almost entirely pointless.”

He added: “My mandibles are looking especially good and shiny today, don't you think?”

Naturalist Emma Bradford said: “Look at that ***** grasshopper, without a care in the world. Even its wings are annoying.

“When no one's watching, I'm going to step on it.”

http://www.thedailym...r-201201134764/