6 replies to this topic

#1 CllrTomPapworth

CllrTomPapworth

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hello, everybody.

Below I have attached a genuinely interesting and very short presentation of how fraudsters steal your bank card and PIN.

It was prepared by one of Bromley's Safer Neighbourhood Teams and I'm sure you will agree it is very useful.

Feel free to circulate it amongst friends and neighbours and do take care when using the cash machine!

Regards,

Cllr. Tom Papworth
Liberal of the Liberal Democrat Group
London Borough of Bromley

That's odd. It was there when I posted it. I'll try again!

Attached Files

Cllr. Tom Papworth
Liberal Democrat Councillor
Crystal Palace Ward

c/o Members Room
London Borough of Bromley
Civic Centre
Stockwell Close
Bromley BR1 3UH

Email: tom.papworth@bromley.gov.uk

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Excellent bit of advice! Thanks Tom.

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for posting Tom :).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Very useful heads up. Basically, by seeing the scam in action in this little powerpoint, it shows you how not to fall victim to a situation that looks like it could be very common. Don't let anyone see your pin number, ever.

But also, this presentation might be handy recipe for starting your own life of crime!

As forum pedant (one of several), I would like to suggest that perhaps the bad guy should be called a 'Good Samaritan' in quotes.

#5 muten_roshi

muten_roshi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Don't let anyone see your pin number, ever.

I'm not sure why people do this, I guess it's unfamiliarity / lack of knowledge as to the risk? Or it may just be the fact I'm a nerd and can envisage a few ways people can choose to be dodgy. I recall once in Sainsbury's WN covering my pin as I entered it at the counter and the girl serving actually commented on it, essentially saying that no one ever covers their pin. I'm sure there was a period when one of the supermarkets in West Norwood was flagged as somewhat dodgy due to a high rate of fraud on cards used there but this may just be my imagination.

#6 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

You still can't get cash back at any of the supermarkets in WN, I believe - at least they never offer it to me when I'm in there. I'm always very surprised when I am offered it elsewhere as I'm so used to never being given the option in WN!

#7 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

The attachment wont open up on my laptop, which very annoyingly is becoming a reoccuring theme on my work one too!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: police, crime, theft, security, safety