• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

one piece that gets me every time is the Firebird by Stravinsky. So if there was a track that summed up Crystal Palace...what would it be?

I'll stick with the avian theme - Bob Marley Three Little Birds :)

#17 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

How about Transmission by Joy Division for Crystal Palace (heh heh)

#18 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Vowed never to post on this forum again but we are all entitled to change our minds and I'll make an exception for Transmission by Joy Division which could with careful thought make one of my tracks on a Desert Island. Nothing to do with Crystal Palace though, albeit I like the tenuous connection.

#19 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:33 AM

Ooh. I'll see your chime and raise you Belfast. Cracking reflective post night out come down choon

Easy. Raise you Papau New Giunea by FSOL:

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#20 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Ok elmo. Ill fold. You've just taken me back about 18 years. I'm now sitting on a beach in Brighton watching the sun come up wondering how the hell I got there in the first place.

#21 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

Charlie, glad you changed your mind.

Thought of another! Mr Sandman - The Chordettes :)

(anything with the lyrics 'and lots of wavy hair like Liberace' has GOT to be legendary).

#22 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Many years ago I had a ring tone, not that it was called that then, on my answer phone:

The Doors - Light My Fire

That would do nicely for a desert island and also would fit the CP theme (remember remember the 30th November, 19 hundred and 36).

I think I'd also take the Brandenburg Concertos and possibly some battenburg too.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#23 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:22 PM

If we want to talk joy division then love will tear us apart again takes some beating. As does the whole of substance by new order which got played endlessly on my aiwa Walkman (auto reverse no less remember that ?)

#24 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Some Joy Div, yes... though I'm not sure if I'd take Atrocity Exhibition or The Only Mistake, as it might make me even more miserable, particularly with no garden (assuming the desert island were literally that). Perhaps New Dawn Fades would be the most appropriate.

#25 chrissyb

chrissyb

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Oh dear - references to the Aiwa walkman takes me back to a rather disspointing Christmas pressie when I thought I might get a Sony walkman but instead got an Aiwa 'radio player' with headphones. With orange foamy bits on the headphones and a terrible sound.

Anyway FSOL also reminds me of a brilliant gig I went to when I was around 18 by the New Fads (Fast Automatic Daffodils) in Glasgow. I was a bit clubby and baggy back then (sigh), and the Stone Roses/Happy Mondays played at my first week at Glasgow Uni!

I also went to see Northside, 'Guru' Josh, 808 State...so goes without saying I'm off to see the Roses this summer.

#26 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

Not wishing to boast, but I did have a Sony Walkman, with auto reverse and dynamic mega bass. In fact it remained in good working order until just a few weeks ago - I'd potter about in the garden with it on. I suppose it's a tad late to claim a refund.

#27 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Oh dear - references to the Aiwa walkman takes me back to a rather disspointing Christmas pressie when I thought I might get a Sony walkman but instead got an Aiwa 'radio player' with headphones. With orange foamy bits on the headphones and a terrible sound.

Anyway FSOL also reminds me of a brilliant gig I went to when I was around 18 by the New Fads (Fast Automatic Daffodils) in Glasgow. I was a bit clubby and baggy back then (sigh), and the Stone Roses/Happy Mondays played at my first week at Glasgow Uni!

I also went to see Northside, 'Guru' Josh, 808 State...so goes without saying I'm off to see the Roses this summer.

I fear we're separated at birth. Been to see all of the above in my time however my disappointment at seeing the roses live will haunt me forever. They were truly awful. I try to ignore it and listen to the cd. Am now humming LSD to myself

#28 chrissyb

chrissyb

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

The Roses had better pull out all the stops this year - I'm not funding their pensions for any old nonsense!

#29 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I hope so - like so many of us, I bought the Stone Roses LP when it first came out. But after a few plays I didn't think they were that good. Sorry to break up the love-in, or perhaps it will just strengthen your bond... against wicked uncle Andreas.

Now, some Can for the desert island would very much be in order. Delighted to see that Bookseller Crow had some supplies recently.

#30 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

How very dare you Andreas. A timeless classic that will stand all tests.

But right up there has to be johnny hates jazz. I loved those boys in the third year. That's year nine to you young cats. (1986) listened in tandem with introspective by pet shop boys. My god did I grow up musically three years later. Twisting my melon man