48 replies to this topic

#31 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Johnny hates jazz? they must have had -ooh - all of three songs? Still I bet you can remember all those words SLR!!!
You can't beat the Pet Shop Boys. The 'Disco' album is just plain and simple 'of it's time'. So Eighties it's fantastic.

Should we expand this thread a little into 'The first record you ever bought - single, and album?' (with your own cash!!)

I'll kick things off with Album: Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement.
First single: Pump up the volume: Marrs.

still love both of them!!!

Johnny hates jazz? they must have had -ooh - all of three songs? Still I bet you can remember all those words SLR!!!
You can't beat the Pet Shop Boys. The 'Disco' album is just plain and simple 'of it's time'. So Eighties it's fantastic.

Should we expand this thread a little into 'The first record you ever bought - single, and album?' (with your own cash!!)

I'll kick things off with Album: Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement.
First single: Pump up the volume: Marrs.

still love both of them!!!

#32 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

I wish that I could turn the clock bring the wheels of time to a stop. Back to the days when time was sooooooo much beeeeeter.

First single. Every little thing she does is magic. The police. 99p. Woolworths. Dagenham heathway.

#33 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Well, not wanting to gatecrash, but the first single that I bought with my own cash was from Manton's newsagent's, Benhall, Cheltenham, ex-juke box, also, I think, 99p - although it might have been 79p, come to think of it (life was, even then, cheaper in the provinces):

New Musik "This World of Water"

And first LP (actually cassette) was Madness "Absolutely"
opposed to taking terrapins.

#34 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

The first record you ever bought - single, and album'

1st single - The Monkees, Last Train to Clarksville
1st album - some years later - Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, so memorable I can't remember the name. The first of many such disappointments!

#35 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Don't remember ever buying any singles, but I definitely remember my first album bought with own money - Tracey Chapman's debut album. It's still one of my favourites, and a kinda cool first album - provided you don't look too closely at my second album (Bonnie Tyler - Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire)...

#36 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Think the roses were just the right thing at the right time - inspired songs performed by a bunch of young mank scallys just on the point of getting really good - theres nothing remarkable about them or their tunes really - but reckon for a lot of people the timing - the context - the look just resonated in the late 80s - the 2nd album wasnt that good really - the bootleg of studio sessions before it (garage flowers) is pretty rank - but think it just came all together with their debut album and singles and b-sides around then. Ian Brown never could really sing in tune - Mani was a standard bass man - Reni's drums and harmonies and J Squires guitar were pretty good though IMHO. Anyway one man's meat is another man's poison

#37 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Stone Roses tickets arrived today... Well chuffed.

Fist single: Stan Ridgeway - camouflage
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#38 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

The first record you ever bought - single, and album'

album:
L.A. Woman by the Doors
It turned out to be a bit heavy for me, considering I was about 10 years old. Nonetheless, I played it on my plastic record player, somehat baffled by the lyrics....

#39 SimonC

SimonC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

1st Album: Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

1st Single: You're So Vain - Carly Simon

#40 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Knowing Me, Knowing You by ABBA
Jesus Built My Hotrod by Ministry
Granadaland by Wedding Present
Holy Thursday by David Axelrod
In White Rooms by Booka Shade
Born Slippy (Nuxx) by Underworld
Funky Credentials by Kobold
Soul Train by Swansway
First ever single - Waterloo by Abba
First ever album - Sheer Heart Attack by Queen
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#41 chrissyb

chrissyb

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

That's an eclectic mix! So is anyone going to see the Happy Mondays then - or is it all about the 'Roses?
I was chatting to a colleague about Hallelujah just being THE madchester track of the early 90s - more so even than Roses offerings...

#42 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

As a Manc can I just say I bloomin hated the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and Inspiral Carpets and Oasis and pretty much every band from Mancland apart from The (sainted) Smiths and The Buzzcocks.

#43 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

As a fellow Manc, The Smiths helped me to survive my teens and Morrissey was a deity as far as I was concerned. I still loved the Stone Roses and Inspirals though. I could always take or leave the Happy Mondays - liked some of their stuff but there was so much good music around at the time, you could afford to be picky :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#44 chrissyb

chrissyb

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

As a Manc can I just say I bloomin hated the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and Inspiral Carpets and Oasis and pretty much every band from Mancland apart from The (sainted) Smiths and The Buzzcocks.

Ah - I imagine you would not be a fan of Northside then...

#45 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

I bloomin hated the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and Inspiral Carpets and Oasis and pretty much every band from Mancland apart from The (sainted) Smiths and The Buzzcocks.

I agree, though the Roses, Mondays and Carpets all did one good song each; She Bangs The Drum, Step On and Dragging Me Down respectively. I'm off to see the Buzzcocks in May at the Brixton Ac...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.