• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Petulka

Petulka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I want to get rid of an old mattress only to find that Bromley council charges for the collection! I believe other councils have 1 free collection a year.
Would anyone know how to get rid of it without having to pay?
Many thanks.

#2 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Sadly, dumping it on the pavement outside your house then ringing Street Services to 'complain' is the only option if it won't fit in your car to be taken to the dump!

#3 Petulka

Petulka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

I would hate to dump it on the pavement so I may have to pay. Where would I find a dump and how does it work? Do I just turn up and leave it there? Thanks

#4 Petulka

Petulka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I have posted it on freecycle.org and someone has just collected it! It is quite a useful website, I have given away free furniture there before.
Sorted!

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

When we bought our last mattress, we deliberately bought it from John Lewis as they'll take away your old one for £20. I think Bromley has a minimum fee for collection that's quite high. To be honest, you can put most things outside your house and someone will relieve you of them within a day or two anyway!

Glad you got sorted so quickly anyway.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

http://www.bromley.g..._of_bulky_items
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#7 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

By the way,the Bromley dump, for which you need to request a permit, is in Churchfields Road on the our side of Beckenham. Gets busy so go early.

#8 domwah

domwah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

U need to move to Southwark! They collected a whole garage load...from my garage! For free! And I can do it every month! :) failing that i leave it by the estate bins and it just disappears. Lambeth by comparison changed the very convenient Vale St dump into a recycling centre. Nothing against them, but a horrible experience when you're clearing lots of random stuff, most of which never seem to be allowed to leave. Grrrrr.....
Croydon also were okay but not as convenient for bulk pick ups. And less annual allowance than southwark.

#9 happymundays

happymundays

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

If you can get car with roof rack or someone with van take it to the dumpsite free (domestic) proof of address (croydon) or £3.00 at elmers end recycling center(domestic) open today till 1pm I think. If you get through snow!

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Would a sprung mattress have any scrap metal value?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: collection, bromley council