• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Jamesl thinks the this section should be restricted to discussion of news items that are directly related to Norwood. I think that would stiffle the range and flow of topics and discussion and am interested to see what everyione else thinks?

If you look at other forums you will see a wide range of news - national and international- being disussed alongside local news and issues.

But who cares what they do on other forums... who would like topics to be restricted to Norwood only issues and who would prefer a wider subject range?

#2 Canon

Canon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Like it the way it is :ph34r:

#3 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Heres what I just posted against the thread concerned

Posted Today, 12:47 PM
Its an issue I have raised before - discussions about ethical issues to me are something you would ideally chew over in a pub - and therefore the "tavern" section seems the better place for me for it to be. But I guess it is a topical issue and technically the heading suggests its news items aswell as local items so I reckon technically it can sit here but from a housekeeping and ease of use point of view I think the "News and Local Issues" would be better off not having ethical debates cluttering up what is already a busy selection of discussion threads on matters of local importance to which the forum has potential real influence over as opposed to this thread where realistically we can spout our twopenneth but its less than likely to change national policy

I think that was my longest ever sentence on here!

I think the question on here has been put with an unfair slant on what Jamesl was proposing - he was suggesting as I describe above having national issues discussed on another section of the site and leaving this section for matters of local significance - there is no indication of that in this threads opener - and therefore in my mind frames the point in a way designed to achieve the response hoped for

#4 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think the question on here has been put with an unfair slant on what Jamesl was proposing - he was suggesting as I describe above having national issues discussed on another section of the site and leaving this section for matters of local significance

No unfairness or slant Chewy.

Jamesl proposed that national and international news be discussed in the Tav therefore he thinks that this section - news and local issues - should be restricted to discussion of news items that are directly related to Norwood.

Good to see that cannon does not.

#5 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

CiT M. You know perfectly well the slant you attempted by implying that I was trying " stiffle the range and flow of topics and discussion". What bit off

I made it perfectly clear that I have no issue with threads about politics, the environment etce tc. My point was about where on the forum they are best placed - not what the threads were about and in my view it is the tavern because :

(a ) having them in the News and Local issues section clutters that section up when , in my view, its purpsoe is to be local information resource

(B) The tavern rules are more relaxed so, just like in the pub, it is the better place for a bit of banter about politics etc

Like a newspaper the forum, in my view, works best when people can go straight the section that most interests them, rather than having to sort the wheat from the chaff by threads posted randomnly wherever one chooses.

#6 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

CiT M. You know perfectly well the slant you attempted by implying that I was trying " stiffle the range and flow of topics and discussion".

Jamesl read the OP again. The question was a response to the follwing post:

Shouldn't this go to the tavern - it is not really "local" news or or local issue is it ?

I made it perfectly clear that I have no issue with threads about politics, the environment etce tc. My point was about where on the forum they are best placed - not what the threads were about and in my view it is the tavern because :

Moving national and international topics to the tav would restrict and stiffle discussion and topics in News and local issues section. Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree.

#7 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Gotta agree with Jamesl, I was quite surprised to see threads on general issues like poverty, biodiversity and others in the News and Local Issues section. That's not because I don't care about these topics, it's just that it makes a key section of the site into something of a soapbox. I agree that broad issues are best discussed in the Tavern.

Anyway, usually the mods would suggest moving a topic to the relevant section - do you guys have a view on this?

#8 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

Anyway, usually the mods would suggest moving a topic to the relevant section - do you guys have a view on this?

One for the Tav methinks :)

#9 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

I never notice or care what section any post is in as I just click 'view new content'!

#10 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

I cant get too emotive about it - it works as is but would be better as James suggests IMHO -

however if de-cuttering was the number one aim I think for me a separate thread for CitM / JamesL 's long-winded spats would make some of the more interesting threads more accessible!

#11 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

a separate thread for CitM / JamesL 's long-winded spats would make some of the more interesting threads more accessible!

Dear Chewy,

I'll have you know that I will not be indulging in any more mudbaths with Jamesl - however much you (or he) would like me to :ph34r: :

Posted Image

#12 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

awww I knew it - deep beneath the hostility there's mutual respect and love! Hallejulah !

lujah even

#13 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Don't worry Chewy.
My post rate started to decline some months ago and will no doubt continue to do so because it’s been pretty clear for some time now that there are different boundaries for different posters on the forum , in terms of who is allowed to say what and in what terms, which is IMHO probably the biggeste single reason why quite a few regular posters have just stopped posting and why there’s a need to fill the vacumn from what was once a vibrant news and local issue section with increasingly non local content.

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

The site has been pretty healthy in the last few months - but we have learnt from painful experience that there is no size fits/suits all and that we can't suit everybody all the time. C'est la vie.

We could consider having a local news section and a general news/issues section I suppose ...... but topics of national and international relevance are welcomed. As Chewie says though, long winded spats between members played out on the forums are not welcome.

#15 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Firstly, news and local issues includes all news items that may be of interest, not just local ones.

Is that the official view of Virtual Norwood Summit Lover or just your opinion as a poster? :) Having looked at the description of the forum on Virtual Norwood.com and the subtitle of the News and Local Issues subforum which is News, Business, Campaigns, shop closures, business redevelopments it seems clear to me that this subforum is for local issues pertaining to the topic areas. As Nanazola said topics like Biodiversity, World Poverty etc. are general issues and should perhaps have their own subforum or else be discussed in the Tavern. I personally don't think that would stiffle the range or flow of topics - just put them in another place. So yes, it would be nice if the you could consider separating out General Issues/ National and International News from Local News if that is possible please. Perhaps we could put it to the vote if MattVN is amenable.

"On our moderated forum we have over 2,000 registered members discussing local issues on a wide range of topics including":