• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

I never notice or care what section any post is in as I just click 'view new content'!

Me too, then I click on My Content, see what people are saying in threads I've been posting in. I belong to a few online forums, and every one is a little bit different.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#17 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

One compromise solution might be to have a separate thread for each of the main posters. So we could have:

CitM's Corner
Jamesl's Jaunts
Charlie's Chuckles
Dazza's Diatribes
Summit Lover's Sense and Sensibility

etc
opposed to taking terrapins.

#18 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

and on the subject of chuckles

I see Tim Vine has been awarded the best one liner again this year and it goes.............

conjunctivitis.com - now thats a site for sore eyes

- nothing to do with anything - prob should be in the tavern but hey ho - made me laugh

#19 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Fully agree with Jamesl's comments.

#20 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

And since the thread is about where threads should be started can we please have some clarification on why nattional news issues are allowed in the news and local issues section when the forum guidleines suggest that" 3/ Topics about local politics should be discussed in the Virtual Norwood Tavern section of the forum"

So if local politics should be discussed in the tavern, as per the guidleines which we are repeatedly asked to respect, why should national ones not also go there ?

#21 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

I don't see any reason why national issues without an obvious local dimension shouldn't go into the tavern. It helps those who use the sections to navigate and makes no difference to those who use more direct means such as My Content.

Also, it gives the "front page" of the forum a clearer focus. I think in a scurrilous mood I posted a status update a couple of weeks ago to the effect that the Sixth Form debating society had taken over News and Local Issues - a bit unfair, but sometimes it feels that way.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#22 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Perhaps the subforum could be called the "Moral Maze"

"Combative, provocative and engaging live debate examining the moral issues behind one of the week's news stories."

Now that would be a perfect fit?

#23 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

I kind of like having the occasional wide ranging discussion in the News section - it keeps me looking at the list of other topics as I dip in for my regular dose of procrastination. The Tavern is too much - I only go there when I really want to avoid work.

I think there have been too many postings of 'discussion topics' though....a few, now and then, is good. Not one a day, though.

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

And since the thread is about where threads should be started can we please have some clarification on why nattional news issues are allowed in the news and local issues section when the forum guidleines suggest that" 3/ Topics about local politics should be discussed in the Virtual Norwood Tavern section of the forum"

So if local politics should be discussed in the tavern, as per the guidleines which we are repeatedly asked to respect, why should national ones not also go there ?

We'll await Matt VN's opinion.

#25 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

What's this? We'll have no trouble here!!

#26 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Usually access the site through the 'View New Content' button so content of sections not that important to me. Just had a look a the 'News and Local Issues' section and I've got to side with those suggesting this section should be for 'Local News and Local Issues". Stuff like the Oil War & Benefits cutback topics would be better off in the tavern.

#27 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Chewie Tim came 2nd last year with ' Crime in multi storey car parks, is wrong on so many levels' !

Dazza

PS How about a people taking things too seriously section !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#28 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Chewie Tim came 2nd last year with ' Crime in multi storey car parks, is wrong on so many levels' !

Dazza

PS How about a people taking things too seriously section !

I once bought a Bonnie Tyler satnav. It was rubbish. Kept telling me to turn around, and every now and then it fell apart.

#29 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Am quite happy with it the way it is now, to be honest. I don't think that too much should be moved too soon to the tavern as hardly anyone uses it in comparison.
Many of the subjects that have been used as an example of not belonging in News and local issues, like biodiversity, was split from another subject in that section.
Some of the so hot they are 'pinned' subjects go through weeks or even months of no activity so do need more subjects to add a little movement.
I went through my years as a viewer (or lurker) and my first six months as a poster without even going on the tavern threads, so I think you will lose viewers if you do that.

#30 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

I agree on the pinned threads Hermy. They make the board look cluttered. When a local issue or campaign was hot it was really great to have it pinned because it stood out from the rest of the threads but now there are so many threads that are pinned which just seem to languish there it might be better to let them drop down the boards. Cinema in the area, CP Stadium redevelopment, Crystal Palace Park Community Stakeholder group, Crystal Palace Park Masterplan could all potentially be unpinned until there is something new to say which is important for the community to know about, discuss and/or rally behind. Cinema in the area has had almost 2,000 views generated by a couple of posts in the past week or so even though there is nothing new to say but for the moment it could be allowed to float in the main News and Local Issues section. Resources like who your local councillors etc. are could remain pinned.