• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

I went through my years as a viewer (or lurker) and my first six months as a poster without even going on the tavern threads, so I think you will lose viewers if you do that.

I see the point but I am not sure having national political/national topics in the main news forum does much to convert lurkers to posters 9which is waht any forum need s to saty vibrant). I can't see any "new " members for example making their first post on such threads

Equally this thread has been moved to a different, less obvious place , overnight and without debate, and people seemed to have had no difficulty finding it at all. And if topics more suitable for the tavern were started there in the first place I am sure that those who like them would soon gravitate there.

#32 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

The Tavern was set up to house conversations about 'non-serious' issues such as what people are watching on TV, listening to on their iPod, cooking for dinner etc. Now, I acknowledge that seriousness is subjective but I don't think housing debate on national news/current affairs is going to be that helpful. One reason for starting this area was in acknowledgement that not all members joined the forum to engage in serious debate. Some just wanted to get to know other local people through posting about fun things.

In terms of splitting national news/current affairs from local news, I always took the 'News' part of 'News and Local Issues' to mean news from anywhere in the world. Some issues are always in the news to some degree, so how do we define what constitutes news in terms of discussion? Does it have to be related to a breaking story? Anyway, I'd be fine with separating out 'local issues' to be honest and think both areas could be very successful.

I concur with the posters who've mentioned the 'stickies' cluttering up the forum. It drives me mad and I've raised it before in the mod forum. To my mind, stickies are for forum guidelines and signposting, not for regular threads that someone has randomly deemed more important than others. In a democratic forum, the 'important' threads will be raised to the top purely because people want to discuss the issues raised in them.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#33 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

I concur with the posters who've mentioned the 'stickies' cluttering up the forum. It drives me mad and I've raised it before in the mod forum. To my mind, stickies are for forum guidelines and signposting, not for regular threads that someone has randomly deemed more important than others. In a democratic forum, the 'important' threads will be raised to the top purely because people want to discuss the issues raised in them.

Agree that there's too many 'stickies', but don't agree that important threads are raised to the top 'in a democratic forum'. Several of the stickied threads are very important but only get a lot of posts when an announcement has been made, so they'd soon disappear to page 4. The stickies encourage you not start a new thread and I'd like to keep all posts on one subject in a single thread. To clear it up you could create a 'Major Topics' subgroup at the top with the main threads inside, or have the mods create a single sticked post with links to the main threads with instructions not to create a new thread?

#34 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Agreed about not duplicating threads but moderation can take care of that (given enough modding resource and an active forum owner) and I don't believe that stickies are the answer. Having 8 stickies at the top of one section is pretty unusual tbh and pushes most of the content well below the fold.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#35 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

I view the forum same way as Gekko - News and Local Issues for news and local issues and the Tav for fun.

News and local issues has been running like this for as long as vn but it seems to me that a number of posters have ganged together to have a right old moan and groan. And that's what I have beef with - the whinging.

Comments made today about this thread being moved without any consultation came across as arrogant and high handed. Those sort of comments would have been fine directed at a local authority official or KICC trustee but not a volunteer Mod who has been keeping VN going almost single handedly for ages now.

If posters expect a Moderating Team to be at their beck and call then perhaps they should pay much higher subscriptions so the post can be salaried?

Re clutter - the only way the front pages will look any different is if there's a limit on pinned threads. The same number of threads will show regardless of where they are posted.

Re rest of this I say live and let live - but perhaps the Mods could have a xxx strict rules and regs section where posters of a certain disposition could gravitate and navigate to their hearts content and not be distracted or upset by threads in wrong places, sixth form style debating, bad spelling/grammar and other such heavy duty stuff.

#36 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

I agree there about the Tavern being for more light hearted fun. I sometimes (although not too often now) go on Sydenham Town forum where non local news and debates/ discussions end up in the Tavern area where I don't quite think it would work here.
I still say keep it as it is or as a second option have a seperate thread on the main page between News and Local issues and the next one down (items for sale? off the top of my head) for non local news and issues. But best to keep out of the Tavern.

#37 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

I too would support a general unpinning of all threads apart from those of enduring and background community interest such as councillors' contact details.

Hold your horses, this isn't a ganging up - far too much else to do for that sort of thing, but a number of people clearly do think that news and local issues should be with the emphasis on the local. That said, others disagree. Perhaps as a compromise a separate section in the main section of the forum called something like 'wider news and issues' with 'news and issues' made into 'local news and issues'. Clearly there will be some boundary issues along the way, but we can cross that bridge when it comes.

I wasn't quite sure how this thread evolved into a discussion of the Mods and subscriptions. But just to say that I think Summit Lover and the fellow Mods do a superb job in what can be quite thankless circumstances. So a big thank you. [add picture and appropriate icon according to taste].
opposed to taking terrapins.

#38 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

But just to say that I think Summit Lover and the fellow Mods do a superb job in what can be quite thankless circumstances. So a big thank you. [add picture and appropriate icon according to taste.

Thank you Posted Image

#39 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

I moved this thread to the forum help section as it didn't seem to be a news or local issue - more a forum one. Apologies to anyone who had a bit of difficulty finding it again.

Have un-pinned some of the pinned topics - we can always re-pin them if required. Have left the local councillors etc. one as requested, the library campaign as it is a hot topic, the travel problems one as it is helpful for people to find it quickly to warn others re commuting nightmares and the new openings/closings one as it is constantly added to as new things happen and it is good to have it in one, easily found place rather than lots of new threads.

#40 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Many thanks Summit Lover, much appreciated! And have you noticed, it's SNOWING!
opposed to taking terrapins.

#41 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

[Rushes to the window]

Lawks! So it is!

#42 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Not settling much though at the moment.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Not settling much though at the moment.

It is in our back garden!

#44 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

We don't have gardens round these here parts. I only have ovett close and Westow street as a barometer as it were

#45 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

Sighs. The words I used were that the thread was moved "overnight and without debate", not "without consultataion", to this section for the forum. I meant that a thread about forum structure was moved as a matter of routine housekeeping and without fuss to the most appropriate section - the forum help section. If I had meant "without consultation" in the terms you assign I would have used that expression. This entire thread was generated by a simple question, not a demand, about whether national news and national politics threads ought to be put in the tavern.

As for whinging and being hevay handed, sThis entire thread was generated by a simple, politely put question, not a demand, about whether national news and national politics threads ought to be put in the tavern. Subsequently I and others have simply expressed their opinion about forum structure, something the guidelines actually encourage (to quote from them " The moderation team and the VN community welcome comments for developments and improvements "). Whether you can deal with it or not, a member expressing a different opinion to anothers is the right of every member of the forum, with the only cavaet that you do so within the guidelines , which includes "respecting the views of other menbers"..