Photo

To root.... or not to root. Calling all geeks!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Dear all,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I love to bits, but I would like to rid it of some of the pre-loaded apps as they are annoying me. I have read a fair bit about rooting, but am still wary of giving it a go. It sounds like a fairly simple process, but there are also 'health warnings' along the way. I am not planning to do anything fancy post rooting, just get rid of the apps.

So..... are there any IT experts out there who might have a view on the pros and cons of rooting? Any advice much appreciated :)

#2 MimSilvershed

MimSilvershed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

I just rooted my HRC Desire, running Gingerbread. Should have done it months ago - I'm now running Cyanagenmod 7, and the phone is flying along. Have partitioned my SD card so I have more space, and my battery life has doubled.

Just read round A LOT before you start, and back up!

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I've just upgraded to Gingerbread - but all my searches don't mention successful rooting of a Galaxy Tab GT- P1000 with Gingerbread upgrade :( Wondering whether to try to do it via my pc with SuperOneClick.... anyone tried this?

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

If I was an Aussie I would have mistaken the title Of this thread as something well off forum !

Edited by St. Lukes Railings, 09 February 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

was thinking the same thing. Isn't there something about Sellotape too and the Aussies?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

If I was an Aussie I would have mistaken the title Of this thread as something well off forum !

Please SLR ..... I am a laadeeeeee!

(ps - how did you manage to edit? I thought it was something that members found they couldn't do since MattVN's upgrade?)

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

I think with any software mod, the key is to do a lot of research and if in any doubt, don't do it. As already suggested, back up all your data. The worst case scenario is that you brick your device. Don't mod software unless you wouldn't be heartbroken to render a device unusable. The chances are this won't happen but it's a possibility, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

I've considered jailbreaking numerous devices (as you know SL, I work in digital media and am pretty tech savvy). I've always decided against it though. My rule of thumb is that I'd probably jailbreak a Kindle or Nintendo DS for kicks but I wouldn't jailbreak my iPad as it's too expensive to replace.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Please SLR ..... I am a laadeeeeee!

(ps - how did you manage to edit? I thought it was something that members found they couldn't do since MattVN's upgrade?)

Of course you are SL how could I forget. For some reason I can edit from my iSheep but not from my laptop / pc. Weird. All hail Steve jobs

#9 MimSilvershed

MimSilvershed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Gekko's right - you've got to be prepared to brick your device. I know I was working on my phone, not a tablet, but I waited until it was out of contract...