#1 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hello there
I'm slightly perplexed and perturbed about what has happened to VN in terms of ads etc.
I logged in today to the Tavern and just underneath the first thread was an ad along the page pushing a selection of ahem - lovely eastern ladies to me - age, dimensions - you name it.
What is that about - can someone explain?
I've attached a screengrab.

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Can't see the screengrab cb. I don't see the ads as a mod but I think that Matt has set things up that non mods/sponsors do. Bit surprised about the subject matter though - was it obscene? :unsure:

ps - like the avatar. Looks like little squidlets!

#3 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

I get those two chrissyb, flash cars and single women in my area looking for something it makes me feel a bit sort of underworld, all thats missing is the advert for a penthouse in Spain.

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

I've emailed Matt to see if he can investigate.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 chrissyb

chrissyb

what shall we make today?

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Hiya not sure what happened re the screengrab I'm afraid - I saved the pic as a jpg at work now.
The images are not indecent as such - but they make me squirm as they are just a series of pictures of the faces of Eastern women, their names, and their 'vital statistics'.

Ah - my avatar is Itsy and Bitsy (spiders) from the fabulous Paperplay 1970s children's programme.
Take a look - you'll be hooked. They are very chatty spiders. Squeeeek Squeeeek (and Squaaak Squaaak) pretty much sums up the chatter. Apparently my sister tells me I was in a trance every time it was on telly and inconsolable when it ended!

#6 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hello there
I'm slightly perplexed and perturbed about what has happened to VN in terms of ads etc.
I logged in today to the Tavern and just underneath the first thread was an ad along the page pushing a selection of ahem - lovely eastern ladies to me - age, dimensions - you name it.
What is that about - can someone explain?
I've attached a screengrab.

I've been getting them aswell, I had thought it had something to do with me googling flights to the far east recently and some cookie had been following me about.
I was going to say before but thought that I would just be accused of going on a dodgy website and having tracking cookies.
(P.S. Am rather taken with Cynthia from Ho Chi Minn City but won't click on the link)

#7 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

anything come of this gekko?

#8 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Yes, I just noticed them to. Somehow I had logged out of my account and accessed the site like a "normal" lurker, and all these adds appeared. Quite off-putting to be honest. If I wouldn't know they disappear when you loggin etc, I wouldn't use the site anymore.

#9 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

I haven't seen the mentioned ones for ages but still do get ad's on here.

#10 mao

mao

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

You can use Ad block plus . It blocks those annoying ads.

#11 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

the ads I get are related to sites previously visited - i.e the day looked at tvs tvdirect.com and low and behold there it was on the top of te VN page across the ribbon on the screen - so it seems to be senistive to whats been viewed - so anyone with dodgy ads beware!

#12 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

You can use Ad block plus . It blocks those annoying ads.

Thanks, will have to try that.

the ads I get are related to sites previously visited - i.e the day looked at tvs tvdirect.com and low and behold there it was on the top of te VN page across the ribbon on the screen - so it seems to be senistive to whats been viewed - so anyone with dodgy ads beware!

Thats what I thought at first, Chewie , as I was looking at flights to Asia and thought somehow it had latched onto that. But it seems like everyone was seeing the same ones. Saying that I do get some which are relevant to sites visited.

#13 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Interesting.... What does that tell us about chrissyb and Anthony's last google searches? :P ha ha ha

#14 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

I have been desperately searching for help with a larger organ but all that comes up is pictures of Hammonds, how does that happen? :blink:

#15 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

your pressing the wrong keys - boom boom