• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

makes me wonder too misspoddy, havn`t had an ad yet about how to make my second million or my first one come to that- strange.

Edited by Anthony, 11 March 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#17 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

The ads are provided by Google and provide the site income that almost covers the running costs. They bring in less than a pound a day (occasionally a little more).

The ads are hidden from sponsors although most of the time this type of contextual advertising is useful in my opinion (providing ads related to the content on the page), I admit sometimes they get it wrong.

Google do have a strict policy with the types of ads allowed through their system and if something gets through their net, they usually fix it (I think that there's a way to report the ads via a link next to the ad itself).
As other users have said sometimes your search results affect the ads you see through your journey across many unrelated sites (which have Google ads installed). I find this a little creepy and annoying.

The amount of traffic and simultaneous users that VN has been getting recently may mean more costs (the site recently went down for several hours partly because we maxed out resources on our current server). This will mean more costs and perhaps an extra ad placement (but at the very least the ads will stay - for many sites they are a necessary fact of life).

If you see any inappropriate ads the most affective way may be to report them to via the link in the ad itself, otherwise if you can email me the ad title, text and the url (link) - then I can block that specific link through my Google publisher account).

Thanks

Matt

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#18 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Mao that was the tip, installed and abracadabra gone.(sounds like Tommy Cooper)

#19 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I'm getting adverts for the RSPB, National Trust and Readers Digest ;) I thought that you had to click on the advert for VN to get some money?