5 replies to this topic

#1 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Hi all,

Considering growing some veg this year - have about 4-5 sq m of reasonably sunny southwest-facing dirt bordered by a wooden fence, plus a few assorted tubs, and wondering if any of you green-fingered types had recommendations as to what does/doesn't grow well around here? If it helps, we're on the top of the hill, towards the southern end (All Saints School etc.)

In the past have tried some small-scale tub stuff - cherry tomatoes (bit hit-and-miss with recent summers), bird chilis (on a window sill, decent amount of kick!); attempted some little gem lettuces & rocket last year but the slug onslaught was too much, despite catching dozens of the things in beer traps.

Was thinking along the lines of spuds & sprouting broccoli for the main bit of the beds, and runner beans & sugar snap peas to climb the fences. Then maybe a few strawberries & tomatoes in tubs, and cross fingers for a bit of sunshine.

Any thoughts? Especially looking for things that will easily thrive around here.

Cheers!

#2 bblue

bblue

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

My thoughts following a couple of years of veg growing on an allotment
  • Strawberries and Tomatoes are fun to grow as they're so tasty and nice and easy (but take a bit of watering). I'd say plant as many plants as you can so you get plenty (very popular to share and are pricey to buy int he shops, so good value to grow).
  • Potatoes take up loads of space and i never think they're particularly fun...
  • Broad beans and
  • Runner beans and sugar snap peas are my faves and are definitely easy to grow without much attention. They have lovely flowers which keep flowering all summer and don't take up much soil space, and grow lovely and tall so would be pretty against a wall or fence. Sweet and tasty beans picked young are yum raw, or frozen for later in the year
  • Courgettes are great as you get lots from each plant. Take up a bit of soil space but have lovely big yellow flowers.
  • Sprouting brocolli is delicious and if you leave the brocolli to sprout the flowers make lovely cut flowers for the house, but it takes a long time to get to that stage - plant early in the year for late summer yumness.
You might be able to see a theme with stuff we grow - easy to look after!

Have fun and a tasty summer :)

#3 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thanks - good idea re strawberries, kids will love that.

#4 bblue

bblue

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

The friends who we share our allotment plot with have two kids who loved the sugar snap peas last year as well as the Strawberries :)

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Good thoughts bblue - thanks for sharing. I grew radicchio from seed a few years ago in pots and they were very successful - kept my lunch box going for a couple of months. I use it as a lettuce but it can also be grilled or roasted, and it is something you can not buy in CP. Need to keep an eye out for slugs though and parachuting snails.

#6 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Potatoes, if you only have 1 plot then grow them in bags as ideally you have to alternate the plot with other veggies - this is due to the fact that you need to regenerate the soil and avoid potato diseases

Tomatoes ok - keep an eye on blight

Strawberries perfect but be carefull as they spread a lot. Also, plants might last 2/3 years then production decreases - so keep the new plants that steam out of the old ones. Keep and eye on slugs and insects they like this fruit

Pumpkins are great too, I have 2 plants in two large pots (50cm diameter)

Beans and peas are easy to grow and you might be able to grow them against the fence as (1) it's warmer and they grow faster (2) save space on the plot - you might struggle with quantities sometimes

Salad/radicchio etc easy to grow in pots too - cehck for cut&grow species

Regenerate the soil at the end of the season

Courgette - I love them and you can eat the flowers (loads of recipies online) - I like them just in batter and fried or you can stuff them with goat cheese

Carrots good too ... had a bad year this year but better luck last year

Onions and garlic ... let's not forget those

If you have some space grow some rhubarb - I love the leaves and I am growing a plant in a pot - so far so good and I have also made 3 jars of jam!

I think that's all for now ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!