• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TOPNOTCH

TOPNOTCH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hello, I'll be moving to Westwood hill next week! I've got a very active little, 1 year old boy but no car, can anyone give me and hints or tips on what there's to do nearby?

I know we're very near Crystal Palace Park and not too far from the Horniman Museum, but what else is going on?

Any suggestions would be welcome - thank you!

#2 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hi,

You're in luck. The farm in Crystal Palace Park is brilliant for active small people, and the playground too once they get a bit bigger. There are loads of toddler groups on the Crystal Palace triangle - Peter Pan & Monkey Music at the Phoenix Centre in front of Sainsburys, Waggle & Hum at the library, stay & play at the Heshima Centre behind Sainsburys etc.; there are activities at the National Sports Centre in the park - baby swimming (though it gets booked up way in advance) & Toddlers World which is a gym-oriented soft play kinda thing. Finally there's a one-o-clock club in the park, although it's currently under threat of closure afaik. Sydenham Wells Park has a playground too with an under fives' area.

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Bump!

#4 TOPNOTCH

TOPNOTCH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks wulfhound, that's really helpful. We'll investigate - thank you!

#5 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

The playground across the street from the Horniman is great even for the very little ones as it's a HUGE sandpit. Mind you, I say that and just remembered the one in CP park has one too now, doesn't it???

#6 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

It does. the new Horniman playground is really nicely done though, and the animals will be back in Horniman Park in a couple of months.

If you're at the top of Westwood Hill, there are also great playgrounds in Norwood Park (with water play in the summer!) & Westow Park, both of them newly renovated to high standards thanks to the hard work of local campaign groups, both within a mile of the big tv transmitter. Probably not worth the hike to either of those from the bottom end of Westwood though, especially with a buggy.

#7 TOPNOTCH

TOPNOTCH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

Uh ho, lots of sand to eat then!!!
Yes, we'll be at the top of Westwood Hill, Norwood and Westow Park look to be quite a walk - maybe not in real life and not so bad in the spring and summer!