• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 gord_onj

gord_onj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Today I tried repeatedly to log in to this website and a forum page. The previous password was rejected three time. I then spent 45 minutes wasting my valuable time going thru the ridulous procedures involved to activate 'forgot my password' and wait for three emails to be sent to me before I could access the website. On receipt of the password "Virtual Norwood" supplied, accessing my PROFILE andf 'Settings' in order to reset the password to what it has always been. The ridiculous system then informs that it is alreasdy in use. I tried to submit a complaint thru "Contact Us" but the security there was so hopeless I could not proceed. I attempted to reply to an email message (shown below)sent to me by "Virtual Norwood"; but that was returned by postmaster and being undeliverable. I now depart from this website and I shall not return again.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOD OFF, I have wasted too much of my valuable time.Your security systems are ridiculous.I DO NOT LIKE WASTING MY VALUABLE TIME. THIS RIDICULOUS WAY OVER THE TOP 'SECURITY' OF THE "VIRTUAL NORWOOD" WEBSITE IS THE BIGGEST TIME WASTER OF ALL. I HAVE WASTED MORE THAN 45 MINUTES OF MY VALUABLE TIME IN ATTEMPTING TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD BECAUSE THE 'SECURITY' OF THE SITE REFUSED MY ACCESS REPEATEDLY. I HAD THEN TO ENDURE THE 'FORGOT MY PASSWORD' SILLY ROUTINE, WHICH INVOLVED COMPLYING WITH THE REQUEST TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD; WAITING AGES FOR THREE EMAIL MESSAGES TO BE SENT TO ME BY 'VIRTUAL NORWOOD'; THEN LOGGING IN AND ACCESSING MY PROFILE 'SETTINGS'; AND ATTEMPTING TO RESET THE PASSWORD AS IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN PREVIOUSLY. ONLY FOR YOUR STUPID SYSTEM TO THEN REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS; ADVISING ME THAT, THIS PASSWORD WAS ALREADY IN USE. IN ATTEMPTING TO SUBMIT THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR 'CONTACT US' PROVISION (THIS PROVISION) THE SECURITY IS SO LUDICROUS THAT I HAVE SUBMITTED THIS MESSAGE THREE TIMES ALREADY; AND SO FAR IT HAS NOT BEEN ACCEPTED. THE "SECURITY CHECK" AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE IS SO DAMNED DARK IT CAN HARDLY BE READ. I SHALL NOT BE VISITING "VIRTUAL NORWOOD" AGAIN. SADLY, I MUST LEAVE YOUR 'SECURITY OFFICER' TO PLAY THESE SILLY LITTLE GAMES ALL ON HIS OWN. A,B,?,D,E BELOW MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. IT PROVIDES NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER AS TO WHAT THE 'CONSUMER' IS SUPPOSED TO DO. Gordonj.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hi Gordon,

I'll alert the forum owner to the issue and ask him to investigate.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

With the greatest of respect, Gordon J, most websites will not allow you to reset your password to an old password, which THE PASSWORD AS IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN PREVIOUSLY technically is. Also, when you get a password retrieval email from a website, it's automated, there's no one sitting there sending them out, and there's no point in replying to them. Why not just accept your new password, and use that instead? You could have saved a good 40 of those valuable minutes.

That OK Gillw?

Edited by nikdevlin, 14 March 2012 - 04:51 PM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#4 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

He is 84. I think he deserves a little respect.

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure that being 84 excuses the rant. If there's a problem with the forum, just say and we can ask Matt to investigate. No need to starting telling people to 'sod off' ;). However, I've alerted Matt and he can look to see whether there is an issue or not. I do understand the frustration, particularly as there have been a few issues with forum functionality. However, it does help if you can describe the problem calmly and in detail.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

I believe there is still an issue with the edit function, given that Nik was able to edit his post after I had posted mine. Could you raise that with MattVN too, Gekko?

#7 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

The edit function has been working fine for me for the last week or so. Before that, it was a bit shaky, depending on what browser and OS I used...

#8 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

The forum doesn't have a problem but I know it's frustrating reseting passwords and waiting for the confirmation email to arrive (so you can click a link to allow a new temporary password).

The trouble is in this case it appears that the "reset password" procedure was started multiple times by the user, which resulted in several temporary passwords/links being emailed to him - therefore by the time he checked his email the first few links were redundant (because he had reset the password again).

I want to help when these problems happen, but this member finally got access and they chose to rant and say they're not coming back - why rant and waste more time?

About the A,B,?,D,E security question - this is an ever-changing system/software generated question, although I didn't write the question I would guess the answer is C.

If the site didn't have all of these procedures (security procedures and reset passwords steps) we'd be over run with spammers and fake auto generated accounts. Sorry.

Re: the edit function, members are not prevented on editing based on someone having posted after them. It is all time based. Members have a window of a few minutes to make edits after they post. I will try to confirm the exact windows soon. I believe sponsors have a bigger window.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for clarifying Matt.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Nikdevlin - I don't believe you have a brother who grows groundnuts in Tanganyika.... ;-)

#11 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

I've been watching Ealing comedies today; it's one of the last lines of The Happiest Days of Your Life...

#12 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

84 its your god given right to be miserable ,mad & rant all you like at that age ! Rant you guys dont even know what it means until you hear me rant if i ever reach that age!

I would be angry & unpleasant all the time knowing after paying my taxes all my life to see it going to a bunch of slackers !

Dazza

PS Getting there already !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

....PS Getting there already !

Oh yes ..... can see you now Dazza Posted Image

#14 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

He said that he was leaving and not returning so he wont be reading any of this either , being 84 is no excuse for anything except being 84.

#15 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

In my experience of forums, people who publicly flounce off in high dudgeon will lurk for a couple of days, just to see what effect their little rant has. However, they're unlikely to post again, especially if, as has happened here, it subsequently transpires that it's not really the fault of the forum, but their own impatience and/or ineptitude.

Edited by nikdevlin, 15 March 2012 - 12:14 PM.