• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

OK, so it might not be the best topic for me to start at the moment, seeing as I'm rather ill with this respiratory infection thingy, and therefore rather raw, emotionally, but over the last few days, a few things have made me suddenly, unexpectedly tearful; sometimes unhappy tears, sometimes happy. Today, that terrible coach crash in Switzerland made me burst into unhappy tears listening to the lunchtime news, but also, five minutes ago, watching the Beeb's superlative Synth Britannia documentary (again!), the opening notes of OMD's Messages caused much more happy tears. I'm a sucker for electronic music, always have been, and it was a lovely, iconic song for me at age 17, so there's a little bit of pining for long-lost youth there too.

What about you? It doesn't have to be sad stuff, as you can see...

Oh and, here's that song, by the way:-
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Beautiful boy by Mr Lennon used to get me a bit melancholy when my boy was 1st born !

Dazza

PS ND not a kraftwerk nut per chance ?
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, you big ol' softie you! :)

Yeah, massive Kraftwerk fan, absolutely massive. When I saw them at the 1997 Tribal Gathering - the only time I've ever seen them - I was in tears too. Mind you, I was by no means sober!

#4 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

I was all Bauhas'ed up in those days...

As for filling up - I do so rather embarrassingly whenever I see someone cry. Pavlovian response innit. I would even cry if I saw a clip of Hitler crying :blink:

#5 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

I was on that cusp between New Romantic and Goth, still find it very difficult to wear any other colour but black!

But yeah, I know what you mean about other people crying. And actually, you've just helped me identify something; other people's sadness makes me cry, my own happiness makes me cry. Not sure what this says about me!

Ooh look, a picture of Hitler crying:- http://www.cruzine.c...o-one-helps.jpg

Edited by nikdevlin, 14 March 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#6 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Agree about the coach crash in Switzerland. Just horrific and makes me well up thinking about all those, young and old, who lost their lives.

Sick children.

Old men crying.

Listening to my gorgeous nieces in Albania telling me on Skype that they love me and miss me.

Things baby related right now are still a bit raw. I had 3 miscarriages last year, and going into Mothercare to get a pressie for my friend's new baby boy made me well up a bit...

#7 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Lone buglers playing the Last Post and lone pipers playing Amazing Grace, both at Remembrance Services.

#8 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Bad tears watching the News tonight, about Switzerland and Syria. Good tears watching Shelina do another great job on Masterchef. I blame the medication.

#9 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

This does it for me everytime. Where's my hanky - sniff.

#10 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I wept buckets when I saw that in the cinema as a kid! Now, I've just got some dust in my eye...

#11 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Something that will probably make me fill up this evening; our bees have Foul Brood, and we'll have to destroy them tonight, once the FERA guy has been. You're not supposed to get emotionally attached to a big box of stinging insects but...

#12 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Practically anything can set me off (and it only gets worse as you get older) but I'm particularly susceptible to anything sad about animals or children. I cried buckets at Toy Story 3, even the second time I watched it, but the kids around me were all dry-eyed. The beautiful Chinese lantern scene in Tangled activated my tear ducts too ..

aka Pie

#13 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

The very last scene in Titanic when Leo and Kate walk hand-in-hand down the stairs to applause from the ballroom - the people who had in life condemned their forbidden love.

I know, I know.

#14 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

Tank Park Salute - Billy Bragg / Stay free - M Jones/Clash / The Lark Ascending - R Vaughan Williams

nb Messages OMD - loved that - think Ive got it on 10 inch somewhere - grey cover!

#15 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Practically anything can set me off (and it only gets worse as you get older) but I'm particularly susceptible to anything sad about animals or children. I cried buckets at Toy Story 3, even the second time I watched it, but the kids around me were all dry-eyed. The beautiful Chinese lantern scene in Tangled activated my tear ducts too ..

Don't, I watched Up on Monday and cried my eyes out over the beginning showing scenes from the Fredricksens' marriage...

[media][media]

Edited by ClaireyM, 11 April 2012 - 03:13 PM.