• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Something that will probably make me fill up this evening; our bees have Foul Brood, and we'll have to destroy them tonight, once the FERA guy has been. You're not supposed to get emotionally attached to a big box of stinging insects but...

Nik - really sorry to hear about this - what happens now? Can you get another colony? Some one in the TT group was looking to trade honey for homebrew wine and beer btw? There is a big group of bee enthusiasts that meet at the Sydenham allotments, are you in touch with them?

I signed up to the FoE Bee Cause last week and am waiting for my free bee friendly seeds which we are going to plant along the verge.

#32 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

The good news is that, according to the FERA guy, they don't have Foul Brood; what happened is that they lost the Queen to varroa shortly before the season started, so it started with no Queen hence no brood (eggs and larvae), and as their numbers declined, there were fewer than it takes to keep the hive clean, so it smelt funny, so we thought it had FB (one of the early indicators of FB is a bad smell; normally the hive smells lovely).

The bad news is that some of the workers have gone a bit funny, think they're Queens, and are laying drone eggs (workers can only lay male eggs, only a Queen lays females), and, if we were to introduce a new Queen, would kill her immediately. So we're on the look out for a new Nucleus (a mini-hive of five frames of workers and brood, plus a Queen); once we have news that we can get one, and a probably delivery date, we will then have to destroy our existing lot, clean out the hive, and, when the Nuc comes, install that in the hive.

To destroy them, you place a saucer of petrol in bottom of the hive, and the fumes kill them, within minutes. This will break my heart. It may sounds daft, but there's a beautiful purity, and innocence, a purposefulness that we love about a hive full of honey bees, and seeing even one die always makes us sad. But every beekeeper has to accept that this kind of stuff happens occasionally, we've had two good years, and, after a brief hiccup, hopefully we'll have many more. We may even have honey this year, last year's was lovely!

We haven't met the Sydenham crew, but we are members of the Country Park Beekeper's Association, indeed we have a meeting there tomorrow, so we might well end up with offers of Nucs or swarms from them...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#33 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

This Titanic stuff isn't making me tearful, but my God is it bloody creepy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01fq7lb

Edited by nikdevlin, 14 April 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#34 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

OK, so now it is tearful! There're just a few minutes before the back is broken of that beautiful floating city, and it snaps in half and heads to the the bottom of the Atlntic, and the Beeb is doing a superb job...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e/bbc_radio_two

#35 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Fairytale of New York, because of Kirsty MacColl.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#36 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Fairytale of New York, because of Kirsty MacColl.

God yes!

#37 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

hey Nik - reckon this should be retitled "things that make you fill up the thread you started with your own postings!"

#38 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Well yes, but my missus has been sick in bed all weekend, so I do have a lot of time on my hands!

#39 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

hey Nik - reckon this should be retitled "things that make you fill up the thread you started with your own postings!"

Blimey CO - you can be a right curmudgeon sometimes :unsure:

#40 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

well 4 out of the last 5 was pushing it a bit! - its a good thread though!

Here's one for me: Timothy Spall's Maurce big speech in Secret's amd Lies

#41 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

John Hannah's reading of WH Auden's poem 'Funeral Blues' in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Edited by Summit Lover, 15 April 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#42 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Seconded - that catch in his voice gets me every time! I listened to that Radio 2 Titanic 'Live' programme, Nik - thanks for drawing my attention to it. Devastating. Some stunning music too. Just got the last few dying moments playing in the background now.

#43 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Is it sad for me to nominate a few Only Fools and Horses moments? How about the moment Damien is born, and Del gives the "I'm a bit of a dreamer" speech, or Rodney and Del getting trapped in the lift, or Rodney confronting Del about what his father was like (and admitting he knows they're only half brothers).
Not a dry eye in the house when any of those scenes are shown here.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#44 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

Timothy Spall again - Auf Weidershen Pet as Barry - when he asks Wayne what its like to be in love - ahh bless - he's local you know -lives in Forest Hill / Honour Oak - maybe he posts on here - maybe its me!