19 replies to this topic

#1 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Has Mr Paxton had a scrub of late? He was gleaming in the sunshine this morning

Er, sorry about that. He was definitely the right way up on my computer!

Attached Files

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hey jb - What an auspicious day this is! Paxton's Bust has indeed been cleaned by a professional heritage restoration company. Bromley will be pleased that someone has noticed. ;)

(-؛ ʍʇq oʇoɥd ʇɐǝɹƃ

Edited by charlie, 21 March 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

I bet he would be crying if he could see the landscape through his eyes on his bust !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 jbphoto

jbphoto

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

On a slight tangent, I read today that Ally Pally is about to get a new masterplan by Terry Farrell Architects. Lets hope it gets further than ours has.

Check out my Interior Photography Blog at http://jamesbalston.com

#5 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

On a slight tangent, I read today that Ally Pally is about to get a new masterplan by Terry Farrell Architects. Lets hope it gets further than ours has.

Are they also proposing selling some of the park for housing? If not, I can imagine they will be able to do better than we have.

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Better implies something has actually been done ! Couldnt do any worse than CP would be more of an apt statement !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#7 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Ah yes, Terry Farrell, designer of one of the ugliest buildings in London:-

Posted Image
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ha Ha - I love that building or should I say it has grown on me in my old age ;-) Not very keen on TF & Partners as masterplanners - suprised they got through the Expressions of Interest Stage - still when you submit as many as they do, you are bound to win one every now and again. Good luck Ally Pally! Hope the tender was heavily weighted on quality not price.

Loads of people do rate them though so perhaps Ally Pally will get the masterplans to beat all masterplans. :) It should be interesting to see how it progresses as Ally Pally Trust/Haringey have had a lot of bad luck in the past and this looks like a fresh start.

Edited by charlie, 21 March 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#9 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Ah yes, Terry Farrell, designer of one of the ugliest buildings in London:-

Posted Image

That is a TOP building nd - I work nearby and love gazing at it

I fantasize about having my office in the circular room in the middle towards the top - spinning around on my huge leather chair and counting paperclips :)

#10 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Don't get me wrong, technically, I don't actually dislike it. I do in fact have a soft spot for it, despite it being a neo-vernacular snap-together monstrosity with no architectural merit whatsoever. It has a massive presence, it's aged very well, and it looks nicely, well, Secret Police; in short, it does its job perfectly. You want to get me really frothing, architecturally speaking, point me at the hideous nonsense that is Number One Poultry. Now I really do hate that, on so many different levels.

Posted Image

I would like to point out here that I work for one of London's premier structural engineers, and often have to work on hideous nonsense. I'll say nothing about the massive, tacky, overdone, £650m tasteless piece of crap I'm working on at the moment, suffice to say it's just around the corner from N1P above...

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

Let's turn this on its head nk - which buildings built in the last 20 years or so do you rate? :)

#12 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

....despite it being a neo-vernacular snap-together monstrosity with no architectural merit whatsoever. It has a massive presence, it's aged very well, and it looks nicely, well, Secret Police; in short, it does its job perfectly. ....

Lovin' your critical style! Jonathan Glancey - STEP BACK! :D

#13 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm sure Mr Paxton wouldn't mind us broadening the discussion, but as this is turning into architectural critique, walking down the hill this afternoon I decided I definitely don't like the Inverted Megaphone sometimes known as the Shard. When are they going to put the handle on it?
Tadpole - my favourite word

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm sure Mr Paxton wouldn't mind us broadening the discussion, but as this is turning into architectural critique, walking down the hill this afternoon I decided I definitely don't like the Inverted Megaphone sometimes known as the Shard. When are they going to put the handle on it?

Oh I like how that is shaping up too - makings of a great skyline alongside the gherkin etc.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Summit Lover, 21 March 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#15 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

...which buildings built in the last 20 years or so do you rate?

I love the Gherkin, it's graceful and well proportioned, and wears its engineering well. I love Peckham library, it has style and grace, and something you don't often get in architecture, a sense of humour (I should declare a slight interest here, it was built by my company, though before I worked there). I like the slightly bonkers Evelyn Grace building in Brixton (I'm a big Zaha Hadid fan), I like the Rowing Club at Henley (I know, not exactly in London, but it is a great building), I love the revamp of Tate Modern and I love the Millennium Bridge.

But if you want some of my favourite buildings of any modern period in London, I'd have to start with the Hoover building in Perivale, Broadcasting House on Portland Place and The Royal Festival Hall. I also have a soft spot for the Barbican and for Goldfinger's Trellick Tower, though I know it's flawed, and his Metro Central on Elephant and Castle. I rather love the Isokon up on Lawn rd in Hampstead too, though the refurb hasn't been handled that well, dumbing it down quite a bit.

Plus I rather like how the Shard is shaping up!

Edited by nikdevlin, 21 March 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paxton, Park, Crystal Palace