• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

It was stupid but when in Vegas .............

Attached Files

#17 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

They did exhibit the problem I always find with homemade burgers which is a tendency to fall apart (a dangerous liability on a bbq where there is no possibility of rescuing the bits). I only just managed to get them off in one piece.

If you get the mesh clamp with handle thing (ours holds 4 burgers) we find this the best way of cooking burgers and anything that might fragment Cap'n. So simple to pick up and turn also on the coals. Unclamp and delicately separate burger from meshwork with a palette knife. Eat with relish, both types of.

PS bought burgers always disappoint us, even the supposed gourmet ones, but had some very good ones from Waitrose deli' counter last week. Had no problem telling a porky to say they were home made! :D

PPS had a burger not unlike that in your picture Charlie in Santander, not quite so big, but getting there. Can you imagine what happened crossing the Bay of Biscay after?
Tadpole - my favourite word

#18 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

I second the lamb/mint/feta burgers being lovely. We tried them last week and they were delicious.

They did exhibit the problem I always find with homemade burgers which is a tendency to fall apart (a dangerous liability on a bbq where there is no possibility of rescuing the bits). I only just managed to get them off in one piece.

Good to see a taker on my lamb/ mint/ feta burgers receipe( or did you already know about them, Captainmcdan?) NickD was also going to try them. Also good cold.
Will be doing them again at the weekend, have already bought mint plant.

#19 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Yep, I'm going to make them on Monday. Will report back...

A good way of being able to rescue burgers that are crumbling is to put tin foil on the barbecue and cook them on that...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#20 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Those burgers do sound good - am going to to get some feta at the weekend - one of the huge tins from Penge Food Centre.

We had plain old lamb burgers last night cut through with lots of chopped mint and parsley, plenty of pepper, some garlic and ground cumin. Really tasty. Ate them with a hot guacamole on the side.

Have never used egg to bind a burger. Ainsley, my barbecue hero, uses a couple of spoons of cream. :blink:

A really clean barbecue grill and slightly greased helps prevent food sticking and breaking up. :)

#21 captainmcdan

captainmcdan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

The mesh clamp with handle thing sounds like an excellent idea. I have one I've never used somewhere. Tin-foil would be good in an emergency but I like to finish burgers off over direct heat so they caramelise a bit.

It was your recipe Hermit, it was good, but we were far too hungry to wait for them to cool down.

#22 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

sounds like Hermie is the Burger - Meister!

#23 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

sounds like Hermie is the Burger - Meister!

Hermie the Burger Meister has a nice ring to it!

We made burgers on Sunday evening to have whilst watching the footie - they hot the spot, unlike the England team.

:( :( ( the two Ashleys)

#24 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thread should be retitled well the end bit anyway 'A thread dedicated to Summit Lover '

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#25 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thread should be retitled well the end bit anyway 'A thread dedicated to Summit Lover '

Dazza

Eh? Because of my Hermit Burger experience?

#26 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Tried the black olive option in some burgers I made at the weekend and it worked very well.. A bit more depth to the meat. lovely.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#27 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Perfect burger... same as my fryup but in a bun with a quarter pounder added.
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#28 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Eh? Because of my Hermit Burger experience?

I'm sure - who could ever forget this: :)

We tried the Hermit burgers too with mixed results. On the plus side the burgers were absolutely delicious! On the down side:

1) we attempted to construct/cook them at around 01:30 a.m. when.... ahem..... considerably 'refreshed'
2) we were too refreshed to manage to accommodate the feta within the burgers so had to rest it on top towards the end of grilling;
3) we managed to set the hard-wired smoke alarm off and then COULDN'T GET IT TO BLINKING STOP so eventually R smashed it off the ceiling with a claw hammer!

There is an obvious moral to the story...

Obviously!

Edited by charlie, 28 June 2012 - 10:34 PM.