• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

I was always surprised to think someone lived in the tower of the church where my parents got married (Gipsy Hill), and now someone's converted the public toilets on the Parade into a one bedroom flat (see linky here). Anyone got other suggestions? What about one of the TV Towers, the reservoir underneath Crystal Palace Park, or the exchange at the end of Church Road. Maybe you could do better?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#2 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

How about this:- weird happy-clappy religious organisation, one that has been investigated several times for improper financial conduct, buys the cinema and - without planning permission - converts it into a church, complete with turnstiles.

Too far-fetched?
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

How about converting the 'tea rooms' into a useable building !

No doubt the scaffolding surrounding the building will get listed status soon as it has been in situ so long !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

The building on the corner of Westow Hill and Westow Street, the name of which escapes me right now. It should get turned back into a pub......

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

How about converting the 'tea rooms' into a useable building !

No doubt the scaffolding surrounding the building will get listed status soon as it has been in situ so long !

Dazza

Is that the assembly rooms behind the WHite Hart, Dazza? We'll get on the case re listing the scaffolding.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#6 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Shows how long since I've been there, the last tea rooms I knew was a portakabin at the back of All Saint's School's Playing fields, by the gate into the churchyard.

I was thinking about suggesting someone turn the Queens into a hotel...
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

....I was thinking about suggesting someone turn the Queens into a hotel...

Very good ;) Funnily enough they seem to be doing a lot of work to the hotel - scaffolding up for months and loads of rubble thundering down chutes (thankfully not at night but I pity those on night shifts living nearby). A new kinda covered patio thingy at the front has a huge sign up saying 'Balmoral Hall' or something equally pretentious.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Very good ;) Funnily enough they seem to be doing a lot of work to the hotel - scaffolding up for months and loads of rubble thundering down chutes (thankfully not at night but I pity those on night shifts living nearby). A new kinda covered patio thingy at the front has a huge sign up saying 'Balmoral Hall' or something equally pretentious.

Ha ha - always wondered why they called it the Balmoral Suite. Note to self: der-brain

#9 lauraclark

lauraclark

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hi everyone - I was just wondering if people would mind clicking on my entry to the Architects Journal Small Projects 2013 competition? One of the awards goes to the "most viewed project" so if people could click that would be amazing! Thank you!!

http://www.ajbuildin...display/id/5770

#10 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Done! Good luck! :)

#11 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Done :)

#12 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Has anyone ever seen the inside of the converted building toward the top of Gipsy Hill (the kinda-church looking place on the left when going up)? I remember people complaining about the windows being plastic. Are there any pix to see what they did inside? Just curious really, doesn't look like people live in there yet.

Hi everyone - I was just wondering if people would mind clicking on my entry to the Architects Journal Small Projects 2013 competition? One of the awards goes to the "most viewed project" so if people could click that would be amazing! Thank you!!

http://www.ajbuildin...display/id/5770

Done.

Btw, Laura, wanted to ask you, who made those amazing shelves? They are absolutely fantastic!

#13 lauraclark

lauraclark

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thank you everybody!! The shelves I made on site – the off the shelf ones are soooo expensive. I bought oak block worktops, and chopped them into three – giving shelf widths of about 200mm. Then we chemically fixed 12mm threaded rod into the wall and fixed each shelf back on to the rods. It was a very cost effective way of achieving really long floating shelves, which I have always loved.

#14 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thank you everybody!! The shelves I made on site – the off the shelf ones are soooo expensive. I bought oak block worktops, and chopped them into three – giving shelf widths of about 200mm. Then we chemically fixed 12mm threaded rod into the wall and fixed each shelf back on to the rods. It was a very cost effective way of achieving really long floating shelves, which I have always loved.

wow, brilliant! if now i would know what "threaded rods" are i would be a very clever woman.... :D

#15 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

A very long bolt, I'm thinking.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.