• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

So what should we do about the state of British horse racing? Last month at least 23 horses died as a result of injuries on racecourses , with five dying in the first two days of the Cheltenham festival. I cannot believe the it has been allowed to continue unchecked but perhpas this will change after Saturday's harrowing scenes.

"The deaths and injuries to the animals seem to be regarded as, at best, nothing more than inconvenient consequences of the race and at worst ‘just one of those things’. The brutality of last year’s competition in particular – where only 19 horses finished out of a field of 40 – was compounded by the sickening sight of the exhausted horse, Ballabriggs, being whipped to the finishing line to win the race.
The central failing of the Grand National, as with all steeplechase racing, is that the horses are not physically designed by nature to leap over high fences. Their bodies are not strong enough, nor are their legs sturdy enough. Every time a horse jumps over an obstacle, especially with an added human load, it puts tremendous pressure on its two front legs as it lands."

Posted Image

so should it join the list of The Banned along with fox hunting, bear baiting & cock fighting or could it be made safer ie fewer competitors, lower fences etc or should it only take place on flat tracks or should the cruelty continue?

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I used to have a flutter on the Grand National, but I have stopped in recent years. I can't begin to enjoy it as I am waiting with a sick feeling in my stomach waiting for a horse to inevitably fall, be badly injured and then be killed :( Maybe I am just getting soft in my old age, but I just think that such races are cruel - that 'Deathwatch' site makes very depressing reading.

If races were made much safer then I might consider having a bet again - can't see that happening somehow.

#3 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I dont think we should be looking at racing per se. We should be looking at duty of care to the horses post race. ie re homing the horses post leg break rather than putting them down to avoid any costs/loss of revenue

#4 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Horsey types, feel free to correct me, but I believe a horse with a broken leg cannot be saved because, due to the animal's weight, it cannot sustain a cast?

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

SLR - In the case of Synchronised, wasn't the point that the horse wouldn't have survived anyway so had to be put down? How do you deal with those situations other than by implementing better safety measures to prevent such incidents occurring in the first place?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Horsey types, feel free to correct me, but I believe a horse with a broken leg cannot be saved because, due to the animal's weight, it cannot sustain a cast?

Think that's largely true GillW, although I am by NO means an expert. If they lie down they are prone to colic I think which is enormously painful and frequently fatal (again, please someone correct me if I am wrong).

The only reasonable way forward as far as I can see - unless the racing community just accept the death rates (I certainly don't) - is to make the races less hazardous.

#7 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I may be wrong, of course Gekko. I just cant see how in this day and age a horse has to die of a broken leg.

#8 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

This is quite illuminating: http://www.guardian....roken-leg-horse

#9 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

It is illuminating. I had no idea that horses weighed about half a ton. I thought (rather shameless prejudice I have to admit) that it was a Grauniad special, but no it is coroborated by a few quick Google searches.

For local owners of horses, by the way, here is a useful guide to calculating the weight of your beast:

http://www.towinghor...ses_weights.htm

Edited by andreas, 17 April 2012 - 09:27 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#10 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

How about if they put a curtain round the jockeys and blow their brains out if they come off and are writhing around on the floor with a broken something or other - see how that goes down with the tweed jacket fraternity

#11 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

A big racing fan myself but also get upset when a horse is put down.

Racehorses are treated like kings & queens & want for nothing & i am sure if you ask them in racehorse heaven what animal they would want to come back as I bet they would rather come back as as another racehorse than a dog !

The figures highlighted by Cit M is rather exxagerated & is not the norm as it was a excpetional month for these accidents however more dogs are killed by their owners every week & countless more ill treated by their owners ! Perhaps that cause should be championed 1st !

They say it is the sport of Kings & it is but the horse is the King in this case !

Dazza

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#12 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

The figures highlighted by Cit M is rather exxagerated & is not the norm as it was a excpetional month for these accidents however more dogs are killed by their owners every week & countless more ill treated by their owners ! Perhaps that cause should be championed 1st !

That wasn't an exageration Dazza - it was what happened and thankfully it was, as you rightly point out, an exception not norm. But nothing is being done to address the killings. I am not aware of any other legal sport where 23 competitors died in one month due to injuries they'd received on the track.

I'm not aware of any reports of dogs being casually killed by their owners let alone seen weekly death stats - is there any evidence? If that is indeed the case then it should be championed alongside, not instead of, racehorses' plight. I'm not convinced that the horses are treat like kings and it's all relative ie what does a horse think kingly treatment is?

Is there a horse whisperer in the house?

#13 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

"A 30-year-old woman collapsed and died while running in the London Marathon She collapsed at Birdcage Walk, near St James' Park, on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course, a statement on the marathon's official website confirmed. The woman was given medical attention at the scene but died on Sunday afternoon, organisers said The fatality occurred with the finishing line only one bend away. Birdcage Walk borders St James's Park and is the last road that runners have to travel before reaching Buckingham Palace where they turn onto The Mall on which the finish line is located.

The death was the tenth since the London Marathon began in 1981. Five of the previous fatalities were a result of heart disease in runners apparently unaware that they had a problem. Four of these were cases of severe coronary heart disease." http://www.google.co...91335055688433A

#14 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

When are we going to do something about these pointless deaths! Its an abomination of a sport !

Edited by Dazza, 22 April 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#15 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

When are we going to do something about these pointless deaths! Its an abomination of a sport !

Pointless? London Marathon runners raise some 40-50m for charity each year. Big point I reckon.

I reckon countless lives are saved by running the marathon to. Not just through the huge amounts of charity raised for medical science and causes like shelter. Not to me mention the runners themselves. My bro ran it for the first time in 3:06 at 37 yrs old. He only started running a few years ago and up until very recently stopped smoking heavily after 2 decades and his alcohol consumption has plummeted to. I reckon it will put 10 years on his life and for 1000s of others to.

I love a bit of horse racing but events particularly like the Grand National need to be made a lot safer. I dont think that would take anything away from the event.