• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Klang! Round two of Boris vs. Ken! With a few others in the fray for fun!

To get it off to a good start, here are portrait (in knitting) of our potential leeders (from here) Attached File  FOURCANDIDATES.jpg   249.36KB   0 downloads

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Is this meant to be serious or a bit of fun Ziwa? I like Boris btw cos he's wearing my favourite colour navy.

I would like to start a discussion and a poll on the mayoral candidates together with an exit poll for 3rd May- I think we used to have a sub forum as part of News and Local Issues to discuss elections. Could the moderating team confirm whether this can be in News and Local Issues or whether politics can only be discussed in the Tavern please.

Edited by charlie, 18 April 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#3 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Is this meant to be serious or a bit of fun Ziwa? I like Boris btw cos he's wearing my favourite colour navy.

I would like to start a discussion and a poll on the mayoral candidates together with an exit poll for 3rd May- I think we used to have a sub forum as part of News and Local Issues to discuss elections. Could the moderating team confirm whether this can be in News and Local Issues or whether politics can only be discussed in the Tavern please.

News & Local Issues.

#4 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Klang! Round two of Boris vs. Ken! With a few others in the fray for fun!

To get it off to a good start, here are portrait (in knitting) of our potential leeders (from here) Attached File  FOURCANDIDATES.jpg   249.36KB   0 downloads

Great knit-pic Z :D

I think Londoners would be as safe in Joe Quimby's hands as any of the other candidates:

Posted Image

Mayor Quimby: All right, I'm in charge here.
Chief wiggun:Oh, run along, Quimby. I think they're dedicating a phone booth somewhere.
Mayor Quimby: Watch it, you talking tub of donut batter.
Chief wiggun: Hey, I got pictures of you, Quimby.
Mayor Quimby: You don't scare me, that could be anyone's ass. Now beat it! I'm calling the shots.
Chief wiggun: I think that sash is cutting off the air to your brain! The town charter says, in an emergency I run the show!
Mayor Quimby: Well, we'll just see about that! Let's go to Town Hall!
Chief wiggun: Fine!
[then]
Chief Wiggun:Should we take one car, or should I follow you?

Mayor Quimby: Order! Please rise for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Homer: Get to the money!
Mayor Quimby: In a moment. First, let's review the minutes from our last meeting.
Abi: Get to the money!
Rev Lovejoy: Get to the money!
Garnpa Simpson: Get to the moneeey!
Mayor Quimby: Very well. We will now hear suggestions for the disbursement of the $2million.
Lisa Simpson: Don't you mean $3million?
Mayor Quimby: Of course. How silly of me.

#5 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

News & Local Issues.

Then surely this thread should be in the tavern.

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Discussion of the elections can take place in either section and should be dictated by the tone of the discussion. This looks like a Tavern thread to me so I'll move it now. Loving the knitted candidates :).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Have to say the likenesses are frighteningly good - especially Ken :ph34r:

Posted Image

#8 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

Boris on Bush:“The President is a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who epitomises the arrogance of American foreign policy”

Boris on Ken: “But here's old Ken - he's been crass, he's been insensitive and thuggish and brutal in his language - but I don't think actually if you read what he said, although it was extraordinary and rude, I don't think he was actually anti-Semitic.

Posted Image

Ken on elections: “People say a lot of silly things during an election campaign, and then afterwards they have to work with the reality of what voters have done,”

Ken on power: "When you get into politics, you find that all your worst nightmares about it turn out to be true, and the people who are attracted to large concentrations of power are precisely the ones who should be kept as far away from it as possible."

Posted Image

Wonder what next month's turn out will be - here's the data from last three elections from http://www.london.go...tions-may08.pdf

Electorate Ballot papers
London 2008 5,435,612 2,457,918
London 2004 5,197,792 1,920,560
London 2000 5,089,300 1,752,303

Edited by citizen M, 19 April 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#9 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

The ballot papers for Assembly (yellow and orange papers) and Mayoral (pink paper) candidates look like this:
http://www.londonele...P=EMCNEWEML1643
Please make the effort to vote this Thursday.

#10 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hope the rain doesn't keep people away. :(