12 replies to this topic

#1 flash1969

flash1969

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

VNers,

Come home to find cats have brought in a young thrush or blackbird. Feather's all over the place, but it is still alive and chirping away.

She is in a box at the moment, but very shaken. Do I release her back into the garden/local park, take to Vet?

Any advice much appreciated

:)

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hi flash1969, I found this ADVICE on the RSPB website. Good luck - hope the bird survives.

#3 therat

therat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I remember as a child about 40 years ago finding an adult lapwing with a broken wing, in a field. Picked it up off the ground, and took it to PDSA -- who (although it showed no obvious signs of distress) took it from me and said they would "put it out of its misery". Didn't strike me then as the right thing; surely bones heal, and the creature could have been nursed back to strength in the meantime... given the time, or the money -- but it was a wild bird, not somebody's highly-valued pet.

#4 catwoman

catwoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Always take injured wildlife straight to the local vets ( Paxtons SE19 / SE25 in our case ) they will assess, and if possible heal the beastie. ( Direct advice from Paxton's owner and head vet Helen Spencer, when I took in a fatally injured bird a few years ago )

If you try to release something that's already injured, they'd be prey to foxes etc,

Edited by catwoman, 24 April 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#5 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Do you think this would apply to the mouse my cat brought in the other day? We fed and watered him (the mouse) and released him back into the wild but maybe he's been someone's dinner by now.And I wonder what the vet's fee would have been?! :o
aka Pie

#6 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

You should nip this in the bud now - things could get a bit tasty for your cat...

Posted Image
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#7 dcsmobilevaleting

dcsmobilevaleting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

I hate my cat bringing in mice and rats. I hate to see dead animals I have to flight them off her with either the hose or water in a spray bottle last week she had 4 and I saved 2 and let them go! I cry when they die! I'm a sad git!

#8 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Here's the stats on our cute but murderous pals, the kitty kats, in perfect comic presentation:
http://theoatmeal.co...s_actually_kill

#9 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Here's the stats on our cute but murderous pals, the kitty kats, in perfect comic presentation:
http://theoatmeal.co...s_actually_kill

Posted Image

Well...... the human population growth is dangerously unsustainable according to some :ph34r:

I have three murderous moggies, who have killed zero animals in the last few years. The last time it they did was when my brave cat (the other two are complete wusses) helped me rid my flat of a mini plague of rats. It was me and Lily against the marauding horde and eventually we won!

Funnily enough, when the Croydon pest control man paid a visit he said he had recently bought 2 cats as he was trying to see off rats that had invaded his house after rising water levels dislodged rats from their normal habitats.

#10 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I dread hearing the 'hmnnnn' noise that enanates from Basil when he's caught something - almost invariably mice. His sister doesn't bother anymore, thankfully.
Rachel
My link

#11 Magnolia

Magnolia

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have two (loud) bells on my cat's collar. As far as I'm aware no birds or mice have been caught

#12 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Our kitten got more than he expected last night .....

Attached File  150359_125374967610382_2091365784_n.jpg   13.17KB   1 downloads

#13 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'd definitely take the bird to the vets.

This is a sore subject in our house today though. Margot brought in a mouse or rat (not sure which) last night and it's now escaped behind the units of our brand new kitchen. Got to go home tonight and try and get the bugger out :(. She rarely kills them, just brings them in to play and then we have to try and catch them!
Mel, Forum Moderator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: animals, vets, cats, birds