Olympic Statues 2012 - marmite time!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

OK - what do folk think of the Olympic Statues (and I am talking London and Weymouth)?

London first:
Posted Image

Initial thoughts - gruesome! I don't know though, maybe it will grow on me like the NSC....

Secondly - Weymouth (Littlemoor, a literal stone's throw from where I grew up)

Posted Image

Jurrasic stones from the Jurrasic Coast apparently ..... not sure about this one ..... it's either rather good, certainly unusual or completely laughable I guess, depending on my mood :huh:

#2 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

I think they're all as ugly as sin, but structurally very interesting.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#3 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

In last Sunday's Observer, Tim Adams tries to like the London sculpture, but doesn't quite get there.

http://www.guardian....it-anish-kapoor

Agree that it would have been great to have added a slide.

Edited by andreas, 11 May 2012 - 03:58 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#4 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Actually like the Anish Kapoor thing. Wish it was as tall as the Shard. Or taller by a metre. That tiara-like thing in the background - is it some sort of stadium? Dull as a something that is dull.

The Weymouth thing had the Buckethead family laughing recently when we almost literally stumbled upon it in the middle of a roundabout. But generally liked. 2 out of 5 of us like Marmite
Tadpole - my favourite word

#5 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

The London Statue looks like something *really* demonic from Rollercoaster Tycoon... (Those that play this will nod with acknowledgement and chuckle)
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#6 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Millions of pounds of tax payers money to create a tower of crap - £15 to walk up it ? Where are the emergency access points to assist people who have panic attacks - cardiac arrest - labour - multi - tude of ailments !!! Its a disgrace and Mittal must be p*ssing himself thinking th great British public would welcome it and PAY for the privilege of walking up it ! SORRY ? Have Londoners not paid enough in Billions of taxes to fund this load of B*LL*X !

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Millions of pounds of tax payers money to create a tower of crap - £15 to walk up it ? Where are the emergency access points to assist people who have panic attacks - cardiac arrest - labour - multi - tude of ailments !!! Its a disgrace and Mittal must be p*ssing himself thinking th great British public would welcome it and PAY for the privilege of walking up it ! SORRY ? Have Londoners not paid enough in Billions of taxes to fund this load of B*LL*X !

erm...... I'll take that as erring on the negative side :)

#8 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

SL -your spot on - having first hand "experience" of working in the build up phase i am sorry to say all is not what it seems on the shiny TV and newspaper spin stories - still an awful lot wrong and pray to God that a "Spectacular" does nt happen but i would nt place a bet on it . If it goes well then we have been very lucky indeed - if it goes wrong who will the public blame ?

Anyway on a better vibe im off to watch some finnish bird play blues in patricks tonight and the jazz in G and G 2moro !

#9 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

OK - what do folk think of the Olympic Statues (and I am talking London and Weymouth)?

London first:
Posted Image

Initial thoughts - gruesome! I don't know though, maybe it will grow on me like the NSC....

Secondly - Weymouth (Littlemoor, a literal stone's throw from where I grew up)

Posted Image

Jurrasic stones from the Jurrasic Coast apparently ..... not sure about this one ..... it's either rather good, certainly unusual or completely laughable I guess, depending on my mood :huh:

Very close to these Littlemoor Lithodendrons is a fantastic chippie (and fishie) on the less than inspiring estate near the Co-op, so two reasons to take a detour when wending Weymouth way - whey hey!.
Tadpole - my favourite word