Photo

Hello all! A potential South Londoner posting :)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 power_blade

power_blade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hi :) I am currently residing in London, in the West. I am looking to move though (a culmination of disgustingly high rent, a tiny flat and itching for new scenery) and I have spotted a couple of potential areas I'd like to move (East Dulwich and Gipsy Hill). However my knowledge of London is limited as I have only lived here for two years. Any opinions/experiences on these areas would be most welcome!

As a brief introduction, I am looking for an area that has half decent transport links to central London - particularly early in the morning/weekends due to work commitments - bus is fine. From researching I know that trains don't start before 7am so I am aware buses will be my best option. Safety is also a big thing for me. As a criminologist-in-studying (and procrastinating ^_^ ) I know that it's all down to perception, but generally I would like to feel 'safe' walking along the streets/standing at the bus stop early in the morning. It also seems that Gipsy Hill doesn't have a large supermarket nearby (except Iceland/Costcutter). Any residents have some alternatives or supermarkets that they regularly go to? I am hoping to have some form of transport to rely on so that I can be a bit more flexible when it comes to shopping, commuting, etc...

Lastly, being relatively new to London I sometimes find it difficult to meet people. Everyone seems to have their own things to attend to and I'm not the most extroverted of individuals (until you get to know me...then I just don't shut up :D ). Any suggestions for local groups/classes/festivals etc. suitable for a young woman will be welcome!

Anyway I've rambled on enough I think :blink:
Thanks!

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hi Powerblade,

And welcome to VN :) ED is quite expensive and probably more like the part of London you are aiming to move from in that respect. I am not sure what part of GH you are referring to but I know a few people who live just off GH and who seem to like it just fine.

Many people in GH shop at the top of the hill in Crystal Palace which has a decent sized Sainsburys, as well as a good sprinkling of independent shops eg a fabulous cheese/meats shop and an Italian deli. CP mainly has restaurants and pubs/bars though.

Safety wise we are better off than some parts of London so not too bad overall. I walk to/from GH station on a daily basis without any problems and I think the trains run before 7. There are also very good bus links in the area (CP is a major terminus) and CP station also has the 'Overground' link into the tube system.

Recently a fair few young people have moved to the area and it is quite vibrant. Personally I found VN a good way to meet people locally and we will do another VN Social soon. I love the CP area but I guess I am biased having lived here for so long.

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Welcome to VN! The best way to see our area at its best would be to come and seems in all our finery on 16 June, when the whole community will be turning out for the Crystal Palace Overground Festival! http://crystalpalacefestival.org/ i

#4 power_blade

power_blade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thank you Summit Lover and GillW :) I think GH is probably my most likely choice as it will be cheaper, and it doesn't look very far from ED anyway (I have been there once or twice and love the shops and cafes, bars etc so good to know it's within easy traveling distance!). And also great that Crystal Palace has some decent bus links too. I'd definitely have fancied the festival, but just remembered I'm going away back home for a week during that period, which is a shame! I will have to come and check out Gipsy Hill at some point, might as well while we still have some sunny weather ^_^

#5 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi power_blade,

Gipsy Hill, like the rest of this area, is a rich and diverse neighbourhood. The Triangle is where people from the surrounding neighbourhoods congregate for range of activities and is host to vintage markets, independent shops, bars and restuaurants but it also has a number of high street names ie Sainsbury's, Iceland, Poundstretcher, Cafe Nero, Barclays, HSB plus a plethora of Estate Agents, fried chicken shops and places of worship. Something for everyone!

If you're thinking of the Gipsy Hill area you might want to get in touch with the Gipsy Hill Resident's Association gh-ra@hotmail.co.uk and ask to be put on the contact list - they can keep you informed of local issues and events.

Good luck with the move :)

#6 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Here's a shout out from the other side of the hill! If you live on the Penge side of CP park the transport connections are considerably faster and you've got a range of stations to use (Penge East, Penge West, Crystal Palace, Sydenham). Trains start at 5am. We live on the 176 bus line, so 24 hour service to all kinds of useful connections in London, via East Dulwich if you want to jump off along the way. Top of the CP hill puts you on the 3 or N3 bus line - also nonstop service.

The CP area in general is really good for community spirit. We've got lots of local activism fighting to save our library, to improve our parks (there are a bunch of good one), to make our area better overall. Add in the good restaurants, the views, the interesting areas to walk...its a winner.

#7 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Hi powerblade, my wife and I live in a beautiful ground floor flat in a lovely 'baby gothic' building on Maberley Rd (the same building VN user lucysmith lives in, fact fans), due South of the park. Maberley Rd is spot on in terms of nice housing, handy links (11 minute brisk walk to CP station which has a variety of ways of getting into town, plus the 410 bus), and proximity to two supermarkets, Tesco on Annerley Hill which is admittedly only an Express, and the big Sains up on the Triangle, which is a 15 minute walk along some very nice roads. We're also near South Norwood Park, a little gem of a place. I prefer this side of the hill, it's very green, it's quite quiet and it has some gorgeous buildings. We have lovely neighbours on both sides and above, we've got a garden big enough for two beehives, and I honestly can't think of anywhere else I'd rather live in London!

Edited by nikdevlin, 31 May 2012 - 12:30 PM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.