58 replies to this topic

#1 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ok. Thinking of buying in Penge. So far my list of pros is:
- property prices can only increase as squeezed middle can no longer afford East Dulwich etc etc. so good investment
- good transport links
- sense of community
- proximity to Crystal Palace park/triangle
- affordable houses
- good Victorian terrace/cottage stock

Cons:
- a bit scruffy
- Zone 4
- safety

Welcome all views...

#2 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

You've got it pretty much spot on. Those roads at the top of Penge have some nice Victorian houses... A sleeping giant.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#3 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Transport isn't bad either. Fast train to Victoria and 3 stops to Herne Hill from Penge East for Thameslink.
n.b. West Norwood has all the same positives and better transport links and in zone 3, although fewer intermediate sized Victorian houses.
Rachel
My link

#4 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Thanks. Lived in W Norwood for 13 years so know it well. 2 bed terraces seem pricier and not as nice. Also have fallen in love with CP and want to be as near to the triangle as I can afford whilst still having a good garden and own a piece of land to the core of the earth. Not a fan of being a leaseholder.

#5 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

Fair enough. I didn't realize WN was more expensive. I lived there myself for 9 years before moving to Sydenham two and a hlaf years ago
Rachel
My link

#6 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

You can knock "safety" off the list. We've lived in Penge nearly 11 years now and I'd describe it as being as safe as anywhere. No worries at all on that score.

And to the Victorian housing stock, you can add good 1920s housing (the "Chesham" house). Also, good services (doctors, dentists, hairdresser - Ego - and tradesmen), shops (butcher, fish shop, Penge Food Centre, Lidl and a new Aldi about to open), and eating places/cafes/takeaways (Antep Mangal, Casbah cafe, Friends of Flavours, Belash, new Alexandra Nurseries).

Give Penge a go!

#7 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Oh, and even if it's not an issue for you now or ever, the schools are OK too (even though we were disappointed when Harris took over Cator Park)

#8 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hey thanks guys. Put in an offer on somewhere today. Fingers crossed.

#9 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

Great news lucysmith! We'd love to have you as a neighbour!
Penge is where its at. The transport is much faster than most of CP (Penge East is 10 minutes faster than Crystal Palace) and the Penge West connection is great in all directions. The 176 bus gets you in and out of town in good time, to good places.
The shopping in Penge is useful and cheap and open late hours.
Being close to CP park is a huge thing - easy to go for a walk that will be interesting and refreshing every time, no matter what the weather.
Scruffy - yes, but I think less than W.N. I also think the safety is about the same as other areas around here. It ain't Richmond, but its not too bad for personal safety.

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Good luck with the offer Lucy. It's great to see you on VN again. There's a VN Social in the works for next month so hope you'll be able to come along.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Blimey, that was quick! Good luck!

#12 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks everyone!! I feel so happy to be back in Norwood and thinking about settling down again (particularly after the exile months in Streatham!!). I would love, love, love to come to the next social and wherever I end up I intend to be a full and active member of the community.

#13 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

And PS this thread now says we have officially made Penge HOT!

#14 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

Offer declined. Going to sleep on it and look at some more property over the weekend.

#15 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hello people - fingers crossed all goes well I will soon be a resident of Penge. May well join the Penge & Palace WI!