• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Next meeting 7.30pm this Tuesday - with a speaker from the Museum on the history of the Crystal Palace. :)

Edited by GillW, 10 June 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#17 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Wow! Great. Thanks!

#18 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Are you going, Gill? I may attempt to come. I have wimped out the last few times.
Rachel
My link

#19 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Am on a deadline, but if I can get my work done on time, yes!

#20 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Just found this link http://www.findanewh...-se20/guide.fap

'Twas the Penge murder of 1877 what done it.

#21 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Indeed! There's an interesting VN thread on that very topic (and I'd offer to find it if the search weren't so unwieldy on here!).

A few outtakes from the article...

While tall and impressive Victoriana holds sway here new developments include the transformation of a railway goods yard into flats and studios.
That's my street and that means I do live in Anerley, not Penge, after all! The post office has it as one and the council the other!

SE20 is not overly endowed with many facilities and shopping is a lop-sided affair.
:(

Penge has a reputation as the Empire of the Takeaway and a stroll up the high street confirms the fact. Its few restaurants are limited to a plethora of Indian establishments but things are changing. A new square was unveiled in 2001 and the Blenheim Shopping Centre has helped to change matters.
:wacko:

It's obviously a bit out of date because the market has gone and the CP Bowl's stage has rotted - but we have since acquired the marvellous Penge Food Centre and Pretty Little Cupcakes -- and, of course, our brand-new Alexandra Nurseries :D

#22 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yes, it must be a long time since there were 50 stalls in Maple Road market. And it's even longer since Beckenham could be described as a "shopping nirvana".

#23 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Found it. http://www.virtualno...__fromsearch__1

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Thanks everyone!! I feel so happy to be back in Norwood and thinking about settling down again (particularly after the exile months in Streatham!!). I would love, love, love to come to the next social and wherever I end up I intend to be a full and active member of the community.

Hi Lucy

The next VN Social is on Friday 20th July - Grape and Grain Pub, CP from 7 pm. Hope to see you there :)

#25 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Great. Thanks. There is a chance I may be up North that weekend, but it's in the diary. Probably going to hang out in Westow House this Friday night if anyone wants to say hi.

#26 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I live at the other end of Penge (Kent House station) and about to move back to CP (2 weeks to go and counting). I must sound like a snob but I do not like Penge High Street at all. There are some nice places worth saving (the amazing butchers, the Penge food store opposite Sainsbury’s, the catering shop next to it and the curtains shop), but all the rest needs to be kicked in shape and revamped.
There are great houses at the bottom of the bridge (I am excluding Thicket Road as that’s Crystal Palace for me) but it’s turning into commuters’ zone with no character.
The area is not violent at all just a little bit run down as I believe the shops reflect the local demand for goods. At one point there was the 98p shop competing with the 99p shop!
I have heard that many houses are owned by local churches who rent them out to people from the parish in need, this is of course great but it (partially) explains why there is no turnover of owners and the lack of income boost.
At the moment people who can afford tend to move towards Beckenham or Crystal Palace – I think when we reach saturation there we will see a boost of the area.
I agree that transport is better than CP and the 176 bus is a great saviour.
There are 2 decent pubs: the Kent House (beyond Kent House station) and the Bridge Taver - both of them were a trek for me so went very sporadically.

On a personal point, I lived in that area for 4 years and it's ok but after 2 years I start "missing" CP (apparently I am a Palace boy). The area is too suburban for my liking with very little character and even if CP is 5 minutes in the bus I tended mostly to stay at home (or in town) as by the time you wait for the bus and get there and back you waste what it feels a lifetime. I missed the buzz you get in CP and the community spirit. However if you want a house I can understand that CP is quite pricey at the moment with limited stock of properties, unless you want a garden flat but I appreciate it might not be the same for most.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#27 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Penge high st is country mile better than South Norwood high st though !

Dazza

PS LSPE your a snob ! But apparently so am I which I take as a compliment coming from coucil stock !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#28 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

I understand what you're saying LSPE, but I suppose it depends on what you want from an area (which might, in turn, depend on your age and life-stage). It's true Penge isn't an entertainment centre, though I'd argue you could also add the Moon and Stars (great beer) to your list of pubs.
And of course, the high street is shabby - but maybe that's the price you pay for not having it filled with chain coffee shops (a price worth paying, in my view!). The high street could certainly be more proactively managed, to encourage investment by companies who seem to assume now that the local demographic is entirely at the bottom level.
If they do think that, they are very wrong - they should come and listen to us when a group of us Penge-ites get together! Alexandra Nurseries seems to be giving the lie to the idea that Penge is inhabited by a bunch of low-lifes with no money to spend on anything other than Big Macs and fags. Actually, Penge is popular with creative types - count the number of musicians getting off the late trains. When we moved in, we thought we'd have the only grand piano in our road. Wrong! There are at least three.
At a wedding recently - in North Yorkshire - I found myself, by a bizarre coincidence, sitting next to a young woman who also lives in Penge. She's roughly my daughter's age (and, like me, a former Notting Hill resident), and she told us how much she likes the area. It's a much misunderstood place!

Edited by NickJ, 08 August 2012 - 12:41 PM.

#29 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Dazza please do not tell me we have something in common ... it freaks me out ! ;-)
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#30 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

You like women wrestling too ?
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig