• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well I am going to make Penge officially ROCK. Moving in on 1 Sept peeps so watch out!! I have a car so CP is a quick drive for lovely restaurants etc etc and I've just joined the Palace and Penge WI and they are a fantastic bunch of ladies. Positive Penge. xx

#32 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Congrats Lucy .....

Dazza ... no .... !
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#33 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Excellent, Lucy - you won't regret it!

#34 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Congrats Lucy .....

Dazza ... no .... !

:-D

#35 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'm a first-time buyer currently renting close to the 'nice end' of Penge on Thicket Road. Whole house-hunting, I considering Penge as an option. There are some really nice streets close to East Penge station and towards CP park. Ironically, one of the nicest is the 'murder street' Mosslea Road. The prices were very attractive compared with CP, and Penge is actually quite good for food shopping, with Lidl, Aldi, Wilkos and various smaller shops around.

But I find Penge has a rather depressing atmosphere. I can't really put my finger on why that is. The place just seems a bit shabby with all the pound shops and suchlike. I know that sounds snobby. I like a good bargain myself, but those poundshops and cornershops all sell the same tat and make the road bland and generic.

As for safety: people on the forum have said that it's as safe as anywhere else around south London, but that's not saying much! Walking down Penge High Street can be quite intimidating, even in brought daylight. But hopefully it will undergo a gentrification in the coming years. Quite sad to think that Penge was once a sleepy pretty little country village.

#36 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Another Pengeite writes:

I've lived in Penge 16 years and have found it utterly safe.

Positive things about Penge:

1. Value for money in housing
2. Transport - I live between 5 and 12 minutes walk away from 3 different railway lines into London, tram to Croydon, Overground to East London and countless bus routes all over South East London.
3. Alexandra Nurseries
4. Shops - Twang Guitars, the drapers, Murray Bros Butchers, 2 fishmongers, Casbah Cafe, Anteep Mangal restaurant, Wilkinsons, supermakets (Penge Food Centre, Sainsburys, Lidl, Aldi)
5. Moon and Stars pub - loads of seating and about 10 real ales on every night - and the Bridge House if you're a yummy mummy type.
6. Proximity to Upper Norwood - amazing for pubs and restaurants.
7. Crystal Palace Park
8. The Watermen's Almshouses - beautiful buildings right in the centre of the area.

The High Street is maybe shabby and there's a few too many takeaway joints and not enough good restaurants for my liking, though it's interesting how many toffs from Beckenham still end up coming down to Penge from time to time to buy the practical things they can't find in their local hairdressers, cafes, estate agents and restaurants...

At the end of the day I think its name is the worst thing about the place. Rename it Penge-sur-mer as Wogan did and it suddenly sounds exotic, or at least less miserable.

#37 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

I know what you mean about the name - when we first moved here, I used to say my home was "near Crystal Palace", or "this side of Beckenham", or whatever.

Since then, though, I've learned to embrace the name. After all, it is a historic name with ancient meanings (look it up, those of you who don't know its origins!).

Penge and proud... let's love that name!

#38 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Penge is actually a fantastic name. It is derived from the celtic meaning 'edge of the wood'. It used to have hogs in it and the oak trees were planted to give acorns for them to eat. I think one improvement would be to get rid of that horrid metal thing outside the Crooked Billet and replace it with an oak and some nice wooden benches.

Penge and Proud

Yours,

Duchess of Penge

6 days to go until I am an official resident and I am SO excited!!!! Look out for me. Am only a few doors down from Alexandra Nurseries.

PS - This is a really good book setting Penge in the context of London and you can borrow it for free at Upper Norwood library
http://www.amazon.co...45818112&sr=8-1

Edited by lucysmith, 24 August 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#39 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Your enthusiasm is infectious :) LOVE LOVE LOVE the Alexandra Nurseries, from whom I buy a plant a week just to have an excuse to enjoy another vast slice of their sublime Victoria sandwich cake. :lol:

#40 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

See you there then, Gill! 3 days and this garden will be mine! http://www.needaprop...m/sales/3781996 So I will need to get cutting back, weeding and planting. Esp. bulbs! Fun!

#41 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

It looks fantastic, Lucy - great garden, too! Good luck with the move. :)

#42 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

That is indeed a great book, Lucy. I was even moved to seek out the author after reading it and email him my congratulations.
Good luck with the move!

#43 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks everyone! Three more sleeps til I get the keys. As I type I am surrounded by boxes (for the third time this year!) No more gipsy woman travels for me for a while.

#44 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Five minutes from me!

Looks very nice!
Rachel
My link

#45 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

And 5 mins from me too. You're just behind Alexandra Nurseries there so that's your cake and coffee sorted... Those little cottages are lovely though.