Best Gym in the area?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Not quite sure if this belongs into Household Services, but even though it is GREAT news I am considering joining a gym, I still don't think it's great enough to make it into the NEWS bit of the site..... Not yet.

I tried LA Fitness for a while as I love the Aquagym, but the place is not the cleanest and the daily fungus fight got the better of me and I stopped going...
I am looking for a gym where I can do a bit of cardio palaver, but also join classes and Aquagym. Is CP sports centre gym any good?

I know that there was a similar thread somewhere a few years back, but can't find it, sorry.

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

This might not help you misspoddy but IMO the best gym is an outdoor one - http://www.miraclefitness.co.uk/. No sweaty machines, manky showers or queues. There's another thread going at the moment on the NSC and Beckenham Spa so check that out too - http://www.virtualno...the-better-nsc/.

Edited by gekko, 13 June 2012 - 09:40 AM.
Added link

Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Can you remind us of the days and times of the CP Park Miracle Fitness bootcamps, Gekko? They really appeal, but I seem to remember they were on Mondays, when my band rehearses.

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sure, the days/times are:

Monday - 19.15-20.15
Wednesday - 19.15-20.15
Saturday - 09.00-10.00

I can't remember what the current price is, but it's come down quite a bit over the past few years and is probably cheaper than a peak-time gym membership at somewhere like Fitness First. I would say that for many people, even if you could only get to bootcamp twice a week, you'd still be working out harder and more efficiently than if you went to a gym three times a week. That's because the trainer doesn't allow you to stop when you feel tired and ensures you are using the correct technique and breathing patterns in order to work the muscles effectively.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Sounds good! And is it obligatory, as it used to be to attend two sessions or more a week?

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

There's a flat charge per 4-week bootcamp period so once you've paid you can go to as few or as many sessions as you like. The charge is discounted if you sign a 12-month contract; otherwise, you pay on a month-by-month basis and can stop at any time. If you can't make a session in Crystal Palace, you can go to one at Brockwell Park or Brockley instead (I think they are Tuesdays and Thursdays but you'd need to check). There used to be a break between bootcamp periods but they now run back to back apart from a few one-week breaks throughout the year.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks! If you remember how much you pay, do let us/me know.

#8 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yes, I hear about it and think it sounds good, but evenings done't work for me at all... :-(

#9 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Oh Lordy.... you energetic lot depress me. I am soooooo slothful and can't abide the thought of gyms/boot camps etc. :(

Mind you, I worked out how far I walk each working day a while back - just under two and a half miles so maybe I ain't all that bad Posted Image

#10 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

SIgned up for CPSC Gym, £43.80 a month for EVERYTHING they can offer: Gym, classes, swimming. I will report....

#11 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Miss Poddy,
Any feedback on this? Thinking I need to do something myself...
Rosehip

#12 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

I am a new joinee, so can give you my first impressions. Much better equipped than my previous gym, Beckenham Spa (with whom I've maintained a joint membership, for the moment, through the UK Fitness Network), with more and better machines (that have TV and radio that works and, much to my amusement, the facility to play digital games, including backgammon!) and plenty of space. There's a Vario room full of machines that offer a varied-movement cardio workout (rather hot - though nothing like the boiling greenhouse of an entrance hall - but there's a button to turn-on air con manually that I've just discovered!), another just of spin bikes and a third, called the iPod room, that's blissfully free of piped music. I was a given a great, non-techy induction by a trainer, who are more readily on hand to offer guidance than those at the Spa, who are always on cleaning duty when I visit in the early mornings. At that time, incidentally, the NSC is fantastically empty, which is how I like it, but they were still open to my suggestion of sunrise Pilates, yoga and spin, which I used to or still do go to at the Spa. The facilities are clean and smart if not glam, which suits my functional approach, and the price is good - I'm paying £50 for my joint membership, though may soon wean myself off the Spa if it works out well at the NSC. It might be best to join when the Brazilians have decamped, as classes are currently suspended - I haven't, therefore, tried any yet, so can't comment on that aspect. And the best thing? I get to walk to the gym through the park, rather than driving, which always seemed a bit counter-intuitive :-) Hope that helps!

#13 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Same here. Except Olympic madness, I can't fault he gym at CPSC. It's huge, clean, friendly and mostly empty. Equipment is all brand new and works well, changing rooms are huge and clean. For 20 quid you can have all that, for £43,80 you can also come to any class you want. I have so far been to the water workout, which is good, but not as hard a work out as the one at other gyms, but works fine for me as I go there after an hour and a half of gym and don't need to be shouted at anymore... The Core Work Out Class does what it says on the can. Very good, very hard. Haven't done any of the yoga or pilates classes as I do that somewhere else, but I'm sure they are good too.
I am very happy with my membership and ended up going much more than I thought, which is actually every day except Saturdays. Love it!
So Rosehip, GO FO IT! :P

#14 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Thank you both. My bingo wings will thank you :-)

But one quick question - is there any secure bike storage at CPSC? I went to look yesterday but obviously all covered up at the moment so can't see. Agree with GillW that it always seems a bit mad to drive to the Gym but a bike ride would be a speedy solution.

#15 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

I can't fault he gym at CPSC. It's huge, clean, friendly and mostly empty. Equipment is all brand new and works well, changing rooms are huge and clean. For 20 quid you can have all that, for £43,80 you can also come to any class you want.

So does the £20 include as many visits as you like to the gym and is there a joining fee? Would be quite interested.