WordPress web creator - good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone used/created their websites using WordPress?
Just wanting to get an idea from users / businesses if its worthwhile learning it or not.
I'm branching out into the world of websites and need to get to grips with the techie side of things or just to leave it to the developers.
x
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm a product development manager, not a dev so I'm sure someone with more in-depth coding experience will be along to advise shortly. I have used WordPress though and it's great if you need to build websites but don't have much technical know-how. There are zillions of templates out there (free and paid) and you can tweak them using the WordPress CMS or by editing the code if you are comfortable with that. There are also numerous plugins that work with WordPress, including social media software. If you need to create complex sites, you'll no doubt find it limiting but it's a good place to start if you don't have much experience of web development.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Gekko
You're right - I'm no coding guru and I want to start creating basic visual websites - I have the graphics know-how so thats no problem making them look gorgeous so I will have play and report back.
My other half is into coding etc (not for her main profession) so she can always give a hand if I need to step up a little in what the website does.
Hopefully it can't be too hard... or can it!? ;)

#4 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi Twinkle,

Nick built the Picture Palace Campaign website on Wordpress. I am no techie but everyone I have been speaking to recently seems to use Wordpress - it is one of the leaders and fairly easy to get to grips with if you are so minded. We are getting Pylon Designs to take a look at ours to make it more more user friendly and graphically visual as it is very text heavy - they may be able to give you some advice. They did say that one of the best things about our site was the strong visual - YES your wonderful logo and artwork - so you can definitely make a website look gorgeous.

As Gekko said there are loads of plug-ins for WordPress. Give it a go!!!

#5 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm all reviatlised after my holidays and need to get back into the design a bit more than I have been doing of late so WordPress here I come.... be gentle with me...

#6 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

The first website that I built I used a site called moonfruit which was handy at the time as it was easy to use but I soon found it too restrictive and moved onto wordpress.
I picked it up from scratch and had my site built in two weeks spending a couple of hours a night learning it. Everytime I got stuck I just googled and there often was a youtube tutorial on the subject (often by some american called brad, chuck or larry)
I find it very handy and use several of the google docs embeding features so we can have a spreadsheet for results visable that several of us can update from our own computers or phones. Also use a google forms gadget for membership.
I'm not the most technical person and on computers a bit of a plank so I'm sure that you will have no problems with it.
Funny how this subject came up as the only thing I struggle with is artwork and were looking at help for that part from a designer so will PM you, twinkle.

#7 Jaytag Computer

Jaytag Computer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

A very belated reply to this post - apologies!

We develop all our client websites on Wordpress. It's a good quality open source content management system that is extremely easy to customise. There is a wealth of support information available, and there are lots of existing free themes and plugins to extend the site as you see fit.

We've steered away from Drupal and Joomla now as the menu interfaces were confusing for our customers for the first few sites we developed.

If you did want to have a chat about how its all done (or talk about our development process) I'd be happy to!

#8 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thanks JayTag - I'm having 'a play' as we speak - If I do get slight;y bogged-down with the techie side of things I will drop you a line.