• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ok, thought I would start a thread where we can start to look at things we or freinds/ relatives/ neighbours do that we start to question whether they are normal or not normal?
It could be a routine that we have got ourselves into or some habit that others might question to be a bit odd, so we will put it to the panel here...

Right, I'll kick off. I really like my sleep, like really like it and subsequently hate having to wake up in the morning. A few years ago I set my alarm clock wrong and ended waking up an hour before I needed to, so you can imagine my relief at going back to my bed for an hours kip.
This led me at first to setting an alarm clock an hour early every morning so I could have the pleasure of going back to bed.
It has now got to the stage where my first alarm goes off over two hours before I need to get up with half hour alarms set at intervals in between positioned at random places around my flat. I average about four of these a morning before getting up properly and please note that this is an everyday occurance.

Ok, now its over to the panel to state whether it is...............................normal of not normal?

(p.s. and also hopefully add your ownnormal or not normals)

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

easy not normal only have to look as far as your moniker to work that out !

My turn I dont take anyone seriously no matter how clever or learned they think they are! Unless money is concerned then they have my full attn ! Weird or wot !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

I'm right handed, but eat left handed with the fork in my right hand... when growing up I always found it easier that way round. But it really annoys the etiquette police.

it's one of my little rituals that whenever I eat out in a restaurant I swap all the cutlery over!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#4 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

I'm very right handed, except for when I play the guitar; though I'm not a particularly good guitarist, I am hopeless if I play it right handed. In the days when I used to wear a watch, I had to wear it on my right wrist, with the face on the inside of my arm, ie on top of the veins where the doctor takes your pulse. But when i started to work with computers, the face of the watch would bash against the desk when I used the mouse, so it's years since I've worn one.

I have to change the wallpaper on my PC at work and on my iPhone every day (from a huge collection of scifi imagery), but my laptop at home can have the same wallpaper for months. I hate having any files on the desktop, instead setting up folders within the hard drive.

I love seeing a digital clock reading 11:17, and get quite upset if i see it and it says 11:18.

I wear sunglasses whenever I'm outdoors and it's daylight, whether the sun is shining or not.

The only clothes I have that aren't black are a series of garish Hawaiian shirts.

And I like to arrange spare toilet rolls mathematically, especially square or triangular numbers.

I am, though, quite OCD...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#5 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm very right handed, except for when I play the guitar; though I'm not a particularly good guitarist, I am hopeless if I play it right handed. In the days when I used to wear a watch, I had to wear it on my right wrist, with the face on the inside of my arm, ie on top of the veins where the doctor takes your pulse. But when i started to work with computers, the face of the watch would bash against the desk when I used the mouse, so it's years since I've worn one.

I have to change the wallpaper on my PC at work and on my iPhone every day (from a huge collection of scifi imagery), but my laptop at home can have the same wallpaper for months. I hate having any files on the desktop, instead setting up folders within the hard drive.

I love seeing a digital clock reading 11:17, and get quite upset if i see it and it says 11:18.

I wear sunglasses whenever I'm outdoors and it's daylight, whether the sun is shining or not.

The only clothes I have that aren't black are a series of garish Hawaiian shirts.

And I like to arrange spare toilet rolls mathematically, especially square or triangular numbers.

I am, though, quite OCD...

Thank you, thank you, Nik. I feel quite "normal" now after reading your OCDs!!!

I've got far too many to list :huh:

#6 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, only in alphabetical order.

#7 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Like :lol:

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Ha ha Charlie likes this too. :D All perfectly normal!

Charlie also likes talking in the third person and feels especially happy when the clock says 11.11 as she turns the light off for bed.

#9 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

I like to worship satan - satan bedsheets are my fave but have a pair of pants made of the same stuff - also like being dixlesyc

#10 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I like to worship satan - satan bedsheets are my fave but have a pair of pants made of the same stuff - also like being dixlesyc

I once knew a dyslexic devil worshiper who sold his soul to santa..................

#11 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

I knew a dyslexic atheist who didn't believe in dog.

#12 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Back on topic, I once knew a dentist who had beautifully manicured nails.

Eventually I summoned up the courage to ask him, "Do you file your nails?"

"No", he replied, "Of course not. I put them in the bathroom bin just like everyone else does."
opposed to taking terrapins.

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Back on topic, I once knew a dentist who had beautifully manicured nails.

Eventually I summoned up the courage to ask him, "Do you file your nails?"

"No", he replied, "Of course not. I put them in the bathroom bin just like everyone else does."

Ahem...... this topic is turning into 'epically excruciating jokes'!

I can't go to sleep if any cupboard or wardrobe draws are open in my bedroom - stems from a childhood fear that Queen Victoria was crouched malevolently in an upper compartment of my wardrobe in my then bedroom, face grey/white and clothes all covered in dust. The compartment in question henceforth became known as 'Queen Victoria's Cupboard' in my family. All perfectly normal as far as I am concerned.

#14 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Wow, that's an interesting one, and not unlike my aunt Agnes who couldn't sleep if a wardrobe door was open because Mrs Haversham from Great Expectations was in there. She saw David Lean's film when she was very young, and was terrified by the dusty old lady.

I have a few bedroom OCDs too; my alarm clock always has to be 10 minutes fast, there need to be Indian basil essential oil, ear plugs and Wayne Rooney style nasal strips within reach, my Big Lebowski teeshirt must be under my pillow, even during the summer when I don't wear it, and the bedroom door must be wide open.

In the kitchen, I get worse; knives have to be on the magnetic rack in order of size, point upwards, sharp side to the left. The chopping board has to be scrubbed between ingredients, and any utensils have to go onto the dirty utensil bit beside the sink as soon as they're finished with, and washed as soon as possible. The tea cupboard has be ordered by size. Mugs must be in the mug cupboard by size, upside down, with their handles to the left. Saucepans must be... well, you get the picture.

I'm not even going to mention my CD racks...

#15 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

OCD racks? :P I'm a fellow pedant - when I've a moment I'll detail my own 'must-dos'!