• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hate Munch, love Hirst. Brannagh is pretty meh at Wallander; original is best.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#17 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

The profit motive.

Am intrigued by this. Leads me to question my self employment which has been most of my working life. Wonders, should I seriously overate this too or should I just go for break even - or even make a loss, after I've provided a good service and or product that is? Hummmm.....

Munch is just too all over peoples' walls for about the last 30 or 40 years - therefore a bit overdone, but you gotta give it to him - he prevails
Tadpole - my favourite word

#18 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

Actually, the Damien Hirst exhibition is really worth seeing. I know he's sold out recently (profit motive and all that) but some of his bits and pieces are thought-provoking and strangely beautiful. Also, do try standing in front of one of his spinning thingy-me-jigs and concentrating hard... the floor starts to spin around you, the best bit of fun this side of Chessington World of Adventures.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#19 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Sir Kenneth Brannagh's attempts at playing a Swedish detective. Painful.

Amen to that. Got all excited when I saw that Wallander was back - then realised it was the 90-minute wade through "moody" landscapes, unfinished sentences and wooden acting that is the Branagh version. Made a story about serial killer of East European prostitutes about as moving as a cheese & egg barm from Roy's Rolls. Bring back the rightful Wallander, Krister Henriksson!

Edited by Nanazola, 09 July 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#20 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

I think Sir Ken is our best actor! - a real actor who can play many diff roles in many diff ways - Shackleton / Frankenstein / Wallander / Heydrich - a Belfast boy who's done good and if you;ve have read his auto-biog isnt a luvvie at all - go the Ken!

#21 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Haha Nana, brilliantly put! Chewie, I do like Ken Brannagh in other things, I just find his Wallander stilted and wooden. The key thing was I didn't care about any of the characters in his version!

#22 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Sean Connery. Not just overrated, in the wrong job altogether. How the hell has he got away with 'acting'* for so long?

(*any role that involves using a Scottish accent, e.g., Russian submarine captain).

Edited by Sidney Ruff-Diamond, 10 July 2012 - 07:24 AM.

Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#23 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

The quest for cash should be a quest for fulfilment and happiness. I've got nothing against profits per se, just needs to be tempered sometimes, hence it's overrated.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#24 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Amen to that. Got all excited when I saw that Wallander was back - then realised it was the 90-minute wade through "moody" landscapes, unfinished sentences and wooden acting that is the Branagh version. Made a story about serial killer of East European prostitutes about as moving as a cheese & egg barm from Roy's Rolls. Bring back the rightful Wallander, Krister Henriksson!

Having read a few of the Wallander novels a few years back Krister Henriksson never quite hit the mark for me, being so far away from the character the author conjured up in my mind's eye. Branagh comes a little closer - although his character portrayal is very closed off - but Rolf Lassgård knocks both of them off the pedestal IMO, both in acting ability and portrayal of the moody and damaged Wallander character.

#25 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Apple pie
champagne
Rachel
My link

#26 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Agree, and very much disagree!

I adore champagne, and have been known to pay £60 for a bottle of Billecart Salmon, the loveliest sparkling wine in the known universe. High days and holy days obviously, and the fizz I usually drink is £10 Prosecco, but a good, high quality demi-sec or even doux champagne is a very fine thing.

#27 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

Andy Murray ! Cant understand all the adulation heaped on him, when he performs in the Davies cup he is just plain ordinairy as far as i am concerned 2nd best at the moment !

If you want to see a supreme sports star at the top of their game watch Wiggo in the Tour de France he is currently race leader & favourite to win the tour this year in the 99 years of this competition no other English man has won this !

4500 kms in 3 weeks some over mountains that you can walk up without assistance when they crash they can be doing in excess of Kms an hour & just brush themselves get back on their bike to finish the stage tough hombres for sure !

Dazza

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#28 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Agree 100%. Surely the Tour is the most demanding sporting event on the planet. And it's not the only event they do in the season.

#29 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Doing the olympics immediately afterwards, if Wiggo not injured a London gold is guaranteed in the road race event which he blew the field away yesterday in the same road trial test which is exactly the same distance as the olympic course !

Go wiggo !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#30 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Agree re champagne. English fizz is where it's at for me. Chapel Down Brut or a bottle of Nyetimber and you're good to go.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter