Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

It is bucketing down now....the sky is falling on us. :(

#17 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

I absolutely love the tennis and am sad Wimbledon is over. Also sad that Andy Murray lost but it was a great run this year and we mustn't forget the fantastic men's doubles final on Saturday evening. Congrats to Jonny Marray!

Exactly Gekko - got back Saturday, early evening, after a lovely day and the doubles were on and a great fight back to two sets all! All to play for and a magnificient win by a pair of very modest young men to set us up for Sunday's finale. Andy Murray started well and should have had Roger in the 2nd set; if so it would have been over in three........ sniff.

The end of Wimbledon always brings on the tears - never fails. Still there are always many 'Reasons to be Cheerful'.............. glass half full and all that - stiff upper lip. ;)

#18 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Tears? Golf bores me to them.
Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#19 hild

hild

Gardening Geek

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

The last World Service transmission from Bush House today - that made me tearful, but then afterwards a gentleman in full kilt played Lilli Bulero (the World Service 'theme tune') on bagpipes outside the main reception, and then I stopped being just tearful and started quite frankly bawling like a kid. A very sad day!

#20 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

The last World Service transmission from Bush House today - that made me tearful, but then afterwards a gentleman in full kilt played Lilli Bulero (the World Service 'theme tune') on bagpipes outside the main reception, and then I stopped being just tearful and started quite frankly bawling like a kid. A very sad day!

So true :(

#21 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Now it's a general thread, has anyone mentioned peeling onions?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#22 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

A little boy of about five fell down the steps on the Number 3 bus last week, and it made me cry, and I was upset all the next day.
Love The Triangle...

#23 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Now it's a general thread, has anyone mentioned peeling onions?

don't suppose anyone has, Andreas, but this thread can be anything you want it to be. Of course.

#24 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

The last World Service transmission from Bush House today .....

Yes indeedy. After living in the UK for a while, I've been surprised at how it seems people here are unaware of the remarkable 'soft power' diplomatic effect of the BBC World Service and the BBC generally. My feeling is it would pay back hugely to INCREASE the support for, and reach of, the BBC. Instead the discussion gravitates towards cutting it. That strikes me as killing a goose that lays golden eggs.

#25 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Well there we go, a sad end to the thread. Which was about Wimbledon, for those who appreciate it. Anyhow, Andy Murray will definitely be back!

He'll be back AWS but a week later in 2015! (sob) The only consolation is that the end of summer will be delayed by one week. :)

#26 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people.

Mahatma Gandhi
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#27 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

"I was beginning to wonder what a girl had to do to get arrested."

Breathless Mahoney
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#28 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Les Mis apparently! not that I've been to see it yet, but I cried at Life of Pi when Richard Parker didn't turn around, softie that I am.
aka Pie

#29 GillyMS

GillyMS

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Les Mis absolutely! Saw it last Saturday and was definitely a little watery ......

#30 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

The radiator in the toilet out of action and it is -3°C at 3:00a.m. Brings tears to the eyes!
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph