• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hello

A friend of mine has a beautiful, old plum tree (no idea what kind, they look like oversized cherries and are sweet and delicious) but the tree, over the last decade, has decided to grow more horizontal than vertical. They've propped it up but are worried it might end up falling over and hurting somebody. The tree is really amazing and it would be a terrible shame to loose it. I suggested a proper tree surgeon might be able to help the tree into a more vertical direction by clever pruning etc. Does anyone know a really really good one? Not the kind that just comes and chops the hell out your trees with a chainsaw and hopes they will survive... :unsure: .

Ta
mp

#2 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Jane who runs The Plot gardening company used to have a good tree surgeon on her books.
http://www.theplotga...gcompany.co.uk/

She writes a great gardening blog and is a lovely person. You do some times have to send her several attempts at contact. Email is the best way.

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

I would recommend AFS Tree Surgeons on Church Road.

Professional service, pleasant and friendly and competitive price. They do not chop the hell out of your trees either although they are quite good at pointing out "chopped the hell" type jobs done by others. :lol:

#4 Sunshine

Sunshine

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Robert Threadgold from Capital Trees should be able to help.

There is another thread on here that recommends him.

I used him recently and would highly recommend him.

#5 Canon

Canon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I agree with Sunshine about Robert, we have him booked to prune our pear tree.

#6 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have used Robert Threadgold from Capital Trees Limited as recommended in here and once again VN has been proved the BEST place to get a local tradesman

we had to get rid of a Sycamore tree that was left to grow wild by the previous owners, Nice neat job. He also looks after any local authority permission when needed

Tel: 07730 666 396
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#7 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

We used AN Rowland from South Norwood (a few years ago now) who were very good and were recommended.

#8 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

We have used both AFS and AN Rowland and would recommend them both. Prices were fairly comparable as I recall.
aka Pie

#9 lemurtrees

lemurtrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Hi Sam here, I'm the tree surgeon mentioned above who works for Jane @ plot gardening Company, I've recently set-up on my own and am looking to build my reputation.

I live in Penge and would be keen to do some local work and get more feedback on here. Please get in touch if you have any tree work that needs doing.

Sam

sam@lemurtrees.com

Lemurtrees.com

#10 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

Sam has just removed 2 huge trees for me in Crystal Palace, his quote was very reasonable, he was always  punctual, very tidy & worked fast! 

I can't recommend his work highly enough, thanks again Sam!

The above message was sent to me as a report instead of a reply so I pasted it here.

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#11 burntsmell

burntsmell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hello!

Just seeing if there are any updated recommendations for Tree Surgeons and Gardening Services?

We have 4-5 medium trees from 15-25ft and various hedge and weed maintenance of a small cul-de-sac. I understand AN Rowland came recommended. We are also looking to obtain quotes from:

All Tree Services

Oakland Tree Services

Undercut Tree Services

Treecare Ltd

TreeStar Ltd

Has anyone had experiences (good or bad) with these companies or have any new recommendations?

#12 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

We had Sam from http://www.lemurtrees.com/ round on Monday evening this week to assess our sycamore tree which had split in two over the weekend.  Sam came over with just 30 minutes notice as we were concerned about the health (and safety) of the tree half that was still standing.  He returned the following morning to fell the remaining half and again on Wednesday when he had another man with him to clear it all away from the garden.  We asked him to chop the trunk into fire logs for us which he did.  He also stacked them at the top of the garden.  Sam is qualified and fully insured and used to work with Jane at The Plot Gardening Company before setting up on his own.  He was very receptive, reliable and fairly priced and we intend to use him again to prune our other trees later in the year.

#13 kidcongo

kidcongo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

I can also recommend Sam, he took down a eucalyptus for us that we were worried about in the winter storms, at very short notice.
Quick, friendly and reasonbly priced.

Some of the above probably isn't true

#14 Tracy S

Tracy S

• Sponsors
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Another thumbs up for Sam. We have an olive tree that needed some attention Sam came over promptly, was polite, friendly and knew his stuff. It's great being able to use small local businesses too.

#15 BlueBottle

BlueBottle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

We have used AFS recently and are very happy with their services. Good advice, seem very knowledgable and honest. Tel: 020 8653 0513. Will definitely use them again.