• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darcey

Darcey

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi, I've lived in the area for 10 months and I've been lurking on the forum but never posted before. I hope this is not in the wrong place...apologies if it is!
I'm in the process of purchasing a flat in the Spinney Gardens development, and I was wondering if anyone on this forums lives there (or knows someone that do) and can give me any advice or recommendations. The little information I found on the web was largely positive but any comments and advice from residents are most welcome...I'm a first time buyer and very stressed out and terrified of making a terrible mistake :unsure:
(I have been thinking of going there and start knocking on people's doors but I'm too shy!)
Many thanks in advance for any help

#2 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Hi Darcey,

I don't know anyone who lives in Spinney Gardens but it looks well kept. CP is a great place to live and I am can heartily recommend it. I have lived here for 25 years plus and find the area friendly and vibrant, as I am sure you will too.. Why don't you drop onto the VN Social on Friday evening from 7pm in the Grape and Grain pub? Great way to meet new people in the area :)

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hello Darcey and welcome to VN. I don't know Spinney Gardens but just thought I'd say hello and, as Summit Lover says, do pop along to the VN social on Friday.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 Darcey

Darcey

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thank you both for replying. I think this area is great, I lived in central London before moving to CP and aside from the obvious advantages, there is no community spirit and people come and go. I thought I'd miss being central when I moved but I didn't at all, on the contrary I fell in love with this area and decided to settle here : )
The social event sounds great I will go if I can. : )

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi Darcey, welcome to Crystal Palace and VN!

I too moved from central London to CP about ten years ago, and had just the same thoughts as you! It's great to have that sense of belonging - and space - here. I fell in love instantly.

The area is full of lovely and distinctive little niches and enclaves - Spinney Gardens is probably one of them, nestling under the CP Parade in the shelter of the arches of the former "High Level" railway station. At the risk of teaching grandmother to suck eggs, I'd suggest taking a stroll around with a friend one weekend afternoon when people are out and about and asking them about how they feel about it. Another great thing about living round here is that most people are very happy to stop for a chat.
opposed to taking terrapins.