• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Wondering if any of the local hostelries are showing live Olympic coverage on big screens? Hoping to catch the road cycling tomorrow, figure it's better enjoyed with a big screen and a cold pint than trekking through S. London's no doubt gridlocked roads to see 5 minutes of actual cycling from the back of a crowd.

#2 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Patricks bar on Westow Hill are showing the Olympic opening tonight and had the football yesterday so i guess their showing most of the other stuff .

#3 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Anybody else lovin' the opening ceremonies?

Its a huge hoot! Top entertainment! Best of Britain, all done in song and dance....

#4 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Relived. Not shabby at all

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

It's great - creative and intelligent. Expresses the diversity and complexity of our nation very well.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

WOW - Gold all the way. Having a bit of a breather at M!

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

The final flame cauldron was a beauteous thing.

Fantastic fireworks....

...but I'm finding Macca bit much. An old saw, singing a signature song that is speaks not at all to the event.

#8 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Ha ha agree - Hey Jude........

"Bold, Bonkers and British" or words to that effect as said by Gary Linekar.

Or Fab'dabi'dozi" as said by the Krankies.

#9 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, I had a hint from a friend who works for Heatherwick that the torch would be a thing of beauty.

And Muhamed Ali! That was me shedding an unexpected tear.

But God yes, a terrible, awful, hideous, draggy, boring dirge of a song, sung by a man long since past his sell by date, to end an otherwise superb show (well, except the Victorian bit at the beginning). The Beatles' very worst song.

Edited by nikdevlin, 28 July 2012 - 12:01 AM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

or "Darn good show" as said by Charlie ( who will not be up at 6am, 7am.... to commentate)

The Beatles very worst song.

yes

Compelling viewing judging by the lights still on up and down our street. :)

#11 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

When all's said and done... a fine show, warmth, intelligence, creativity and eccentricity came through as well as the professionalism that Brits can show when they need to. Whether the finer points of some of the earlier stages came across clearly across the globe, we'll wait to find out...

A sense of relief that the beginning of the Games happened well.

Edited by andreas, 28 July 2012 - 12:09 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#12 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yep, good show.
I was hoping some of you would be able to explain why 'Hey Jude' was not an irrelevant, self-congratulatory choice, but NikD's observations concur with my initial reactions. Pity. Otherwise I loved it - even the Victorian schtick.

We're off to catch the cycling racing this afternoon - probably will go to the street events in S. Ken, then watch them zip by on Brompton Rd. Will be after the 9 (!) circuits of Box Hill so should have separated them out a bit.

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Haven't seen it yet as my partner didn't want to stay in to see it :( Am trying to avoid all references to it (jolly hard!) until I see the recording on Monday!

#14 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yep, good show.
I was hoping some of you would be able to explain why 'Hey Jude' was not an irrelevant, self-congratulatory choice, but NikD's observations concur with my initial reactions. Pity. Otherwise I loved it - even the Victorian schtick.

I think you summed it up well re Hey Jude. My heart sank when Macca appeared. Danny Boyle had done well up until then not to wheel out all the old has-beens so not sure what went wrong. To think they cut other parts of the entertainment and kept Macca who was terrible at the Jubilee, which should have been a warning.

Enjoy the cycling - I'm watching on the box and it's definitely hotting up. Team GB keeping a level head ready to pounce later on.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#15 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

I didn't mind Macca singing that "...and in the end..." bit from Abbey rd (my favourite Beatles album by far), but he should have just left it there. Have just been flicking through the whole thing - including the bit at the beginning that wasn't broadcast - on iPlayer, and reminding myself how beautifully well done Abide With Me was. Loved how warm and intimate it was.

But yes, a super celebration of Britishness that kicked the Beijing show - cold, impersonal, nothing about the individual - well and truly into touch.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.