• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#16 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

I loved it, didn't mind Macca either, found the commentary a little intrusive at times.
Love The Triangle...

#17 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

I didn't mind Macca singing that "...and in the end..." bit from Abbey rd (my favourite Beatles album by far), but he should have just left it there. Have just been flicking through the whole thing - including the bit at the beginning that wasn't broadcast - on iPlayer, and reminding myself how beautifully well done Abide With Me was. Loved how warm and intimate it was.

But yes, a super celebration of Britishness that kicked the Beijing show - cold, impersonal, nothing about the individual - well and truly into touch.

yeah - abbey road - best beatles album by far for me - spesh side 2 - coming thru the bathroom window with mean mr mustard and polythene pam only beacause the sun king carried that weight in the end with golden slumbers never giving any money!

#18 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

Some might say Abbey Rd heralded the invention of prog...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#19 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Ai Weiwei wrote nice praise for our Olympics opening ceremony.
He should know - he was part of the Beijing opening planning committee until he withdrew in protest. He also helped design the 'Bird's Nest' stadium.

#20 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

I loved it, didn't mind Macca either, found the commentary a little intrusive at times.

Yes, and who was the woman doing the voiceover (as opposed to commentary) who sounded about 12?! Her voice lacked weight and gravitas, I thought.

A friend of mine was a moner so I watched it with huge excitement (though I didn't spot him among the throng!).

Thought this from UK Uncut re the tribute to the NHS was pertinent: "The NHS is a public institution of which we are incredibly proud. The Government will use the Olympics to show how much it cares about the health of the nation. But this is a lie. If it really cared, it would not be dismantling the NHS, destroying the welfare system and privatising the public institutions that provide universal access to healthcare and opportunities to succeed for all. If it really cared it would, instead, be stopping systematic corporate tax avoidance, cutting subsidies to the financial sector and implementing radical reform of the financial system."

Edited by GillW, 29 July 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#21 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

The Opening Ceremony to end all Opening Ceremonies! So many images will stay in my mind forever:

The cauldron lighting best of all
The Industrial Revolution being celebrated as well as mourned
'Abide with me' sequence with Emeli Sande and Akram Khan - just beautiful
Tim Berners-Lee appearance
The doves on bikes (though the sinister Come Together song stopped it being sublime)
The section with the kids going out and meeting up. Anything specifically by/for/about The Young People is usually a heart-sinker, but it was great
The Bond sequence
Beckers driving the speedboat

I agree about Macca though. Why top the flame-lighting with a poorly orchestrated singalong? Kinda ruined the moment it had all been leading up to. Classic British self-sabotage perhaps?

#22 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

A friend of mine was a moner

I bet he'd be charmed with that description! I meant miner, though I've since found out he was actually a factory worker!

including the bit at the beginning that wasn't broadcast

Nik, I can't find it on iPlayer, though I'm dying to see it, having read the Times commentary from yesterday - I see it actually started at 8.12pm! Could you post a link?

#23 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Here you go:- http://www.bbc.co.uk...ening_Ceremony/

#24 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hmm, that seems to start at just after the 9pm countdown, after the green-and-pleasant-land bit, rather than an hour earlier, as described in The Times (I've cut and pasted just the pre-9pm stuff):

Ashling O’Connor
Last updated at 12:01AM, July 28 2012
London’s long-awaited opening ceremony broadcast to the world
8.12pm A digital countdown clock displaying 20:12 is projected from the stands using an innovative “pixel paddle” system fixed to the back of each seat. This technology is the main element of the show that organisers were worried about leaking out. It allows Danny Boyle to give his production the feel for the spectacular that Beijing so easily acquired with £100 million versus the £27 million budget at his disposal. It also explains why he was so keen to start the show in fading daylight at 9pm.
The Red Arrows fly past, trailing red, white and blue smoke above the stadium. With most of 65,000 spectators in their seats, the scene is set: across the rolling rural landscape, circled by the running track — disguised as the M25 — an English country idyll is laid out. Farm workers herd 70 live sheep into the ring, ten chickens and nine geese strut around as maids tend to three cows, sheepdogs frolic, a water wheel turns gently and groups of milkmen do their rounds. Cottonwool fluffy clouds hang in the air. A shire horse ploughs a field as more of the 10,000-strong volunteer cast emerge to take part in a game of cricket and football.
8.20pm Frank Turner, a folk singer, old Etonian contemporary of the Duke of Cambridge and grandson of the former BHS chairman Sir Mark, performs his “weirdest gig” from a replica of Glastonbury Tor.
8.35pm Danny Boyle addresses the crowd and thanks the volunteer cast: “I don’t believe in God but I believe in the people who do — this is their show, they really are the best of us.”
8.46pm Ban Ki Moon, Secretary -General of the UN, calls on people to lay down their weapons.
8.55pm The livestock is cleared off to appease the animal rights activists at Peta who complained about their use in the show. The dutifully plodding horse remains, however.
8.56pm The London Symphony Orchestra’s On Track project warm up their instruments, all wearing colourful trainers with their usual black attire. Children with balloons numbered 1 to 10 walk in as sections of the crowd perform the “sea silk manoeuvre”, passing a blue canopy over their heads to create the illusion of the sea. On the big screens, to the classic soundtrack of Elgar’s Nimrod, there is a homage to the coastguard along with clips from the Shipping Forecast. A 50-second countdown begins, made up of speed limit signs, a dartboard, street signs and door signs, including 10 Downing Street.

#25 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

Weird! That link was to the whole thing earlier. Also, it had a timed and annotated scrubber so you could find stuff quickly.

#26 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

There is an interesting backstory developing here. And I am sure that somewhat bleary-eyed yesterday morning I saw an article on the Telegraph website suggesting that the Olympic rings were being sent up into the stratosphere to beam down photographs at the end of the evening...

And was the first track of the music montage really called what I think it was?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#27 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Did anyone hear the Tardis during the Opening Ceremony - thought I heard a nod to Doctor Who.

#28 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

I was delighted to hear one of my favourite Romantic Boy Anthems being used for the torch montage:-

#29 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Oh yeah !!! I absolutely loved this bit of the Opening Ceremony - David Beckham speeding up the River Thames with the torch to the tune of "I heard Wonders" - He looked sooo happy. Blinkin shame it has been removed from You tube.

Thanks for identifying the tune NikD. :)

Looks like the BBC has been using various tunes from the Opening ceremony for their highlights too - loved the Arctic Monkeys ( wasn't sure at first but it has grown on me - massively)

The Bond sequence
Beckers driving the speedboat

Double GOLD!

#30 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Weird! That link was to the whole thing earlier. Also, it had a timed and annotated scrubber so you could find stuff quickly.

Thanks for checking, anyway!