• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#31 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

The Opening Ceremony to end all Opening Ceremonies! So many images will stay in my mind forever:

The cauldron lighting best of all
The Industrial Revolution being celebrated as well as mourned
'Abide with me' sequence with Emeli Sande and Akram Khan - just beautiful
Tim Berners-Lee appearance
The doves on bikes (though the sinister Come Together song stopped it being sublime)
The section with the kids going out and meeting up. Anything specifically by/for/about The Young People is usually a heart-sinker, but it was great
The Bond sequence
Beckers driving the speedboat

I agree about Macca though. Why top the flame-lighting with a poorly orchestrated singalong? Kinda ruined the moment it had all been leading up to. Classic British self-sabotage perhaps?

I love your list! Agree completely.

And this is a good point too:

Thought this from UK Uncut re the tribute to the NHS was pertinent: "The NHS is a public institution of which we are incredibly proud. The Government will use the Olympics to show how much it cares about the health of the nation. But this is a lie. If it really cared, it would not be dismantling the NHS, destroying the welfare system and privatising the public institutions that provide universal access to healthcare and opportunities to succeed for all. If it really cared it would, instead, be stopping systematic corporate tax avoidance, cutting subsidies to the financial sector and implementing radical reform of the financial system."

What was missing from the show was more about science. Tim Berners-Lee was a masterstroke - but a bit more of that would have pointed out that the thing that the UK really excels at is scientific innovation, and that is something that really changes the world. Darwin, Wallace & evolution, the structure of DNA, etc etc - it should have been in there.

#32 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

Is this VN's official Olympic thread - if so there is a nice bit on analysis in the Independent as to Why Britain lost out on cycling gold in the men's road race.

I thought Lizzie Armitstead's Silver in the womens road race was immense. Brilliant tactics and she nearly had Marion Voss on the finish. The race was gripping especially in the rain.

Does anyone know what the breakaway group were saying to each other as they were clearly sharing the work but not knowing how far behind or how close the pelaton was.

Edited by charlie, 30 July 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#33 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Will change the thread title a little to reflect that this has seemingly morphed into the Olympic thread.

Just watched the opening ceremony (which I had recorded as my other half didn't want to watch it :( ). Loved it - pretty much blown away by the whole thing (except mazza). Glad I was watching it on my own as I had major eye leak throughout - well done Danny Boyle!

#34 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

No one seems to have liked the Macca bit! A tad misjudged, sticking him on, I think, especially singing that dreadful dirge, one meant to be a message to Julian Lennon about his parents getting divorced. Nowt to do with the Olympics at all, although I suppose it meant people of all nationalities could go "Nah, nah nah, na na na na" together.
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#35 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

....Glad I was watching it on my own as I had major eye leak throughout - well done Danny Boyle!

I hear ya, sister! Me too!

#36 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

It was Abide With Me that set me off. I do rather love that hymn, despite being an atheist!

#37 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Well worth watching again the highlights of the opening ceremony if you can over the coming week, such wit and beauty and yes, I concur, there are moments when even AWS had a tear in his eye again (and it wasn't just a response to the pink clouds and Michael Fish).
opposed to taking terrapins.

#38 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

Am not terribly drawn to purposefully watching the games (am a bit ashamed to say) but Elmo is doing a great job of keeping me informed on twitter and fb - great pics! Having said that, whenever I walk past a screen with the games on I am transfixed (the courts/arenas look colourfully pretty too :)
Posted Image )

nb - felt sorry for Tom Daly, both with last result and with the twitter business. Sometimes social media has a lot to answer for in terms of giving a platform to witless bullies :(

#39 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Tom Daly is keeping his facebook page updated with some lovely pics from the Olympic Village and from the Opening Ceremony.

https://www.facebook...omDaleyOfficial

#40 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

I felt for our men's gynmnastics team yesterday. They were delirious to get bronze medal for first time in a century - then promoted to SILVER - then, following a complaint from the Japanese team, back down to bronze. Does anyone know what the issue was?

What with that and SNAFU with starting gun in women's 200m swimming final, still a few technical wrinkles to iron out!

#41 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

...felt sorry for Tom Daly... with the twitter business

What the kid actually said was "you let your dad down i hope you know that". And while it's a bit tasteless, it's hardly bullying. And as for arresting the kid (for 'suspicion of malicious communications'); ridiculous!

#42 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

That would definitely be a case of online bullying in my book, but I am astonished that the witless perpetrator has been arrested. I would have though a twitter account being suspended and some stern words would have been adequate.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

A bit of Olympic fun - which Olympiad body type are you? Evidently I am a weight litter :-o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19050139

#44 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Ha - I did this earlier with a colleague at work :D.

I got Heather Watson and Zara Phillips so quite pleased with that!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#45 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

The twitter fiend threatened to find Tom Daley and drown him in the pool, and other such comments along those lines.

Am utterly transfixed by the Olympics, being quite a sporty person anyway, but I am loving how all my non-sporty friends are watching and getting excited too!

ps I'm a Chinese Archer, and a Brazilian pole vaulter! :lol:

Edited by moc, 31 July 2012 - 01:33 PM.

Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage