Photo

Whats it like living in Norwood junction?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 RetiredMember2

RetiredMember2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

the ripple effect of CP going through the roof will eventually trickle down to South Norwood ( Rebranded something more posh such as 'Norwood Hill' or 'Norwood Lakes' and 'Grangewood lands' )

Lower Norwood?

#62 Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Sidney Ruff-Diamond

Mustn't upset the almighty.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Outer South Dulwich/Greater West Beckenham Borders?

Edited by Sidney Ruff-Diamond, 28 August 2012 - 09:57 PM.

Never eat a piece of cheese bigger than your head.

#63 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Like all of London villages, SN can be split further into zones. In many ways it reminds me of where I used to live in New Cross - There were streets that would rival Hampstead or St Johns Wood and streets that would resemble a LA ghetto, like South Norwood, New Cross has a tatty high street also.

Newcross is currently going through a transistion.... for the bettter it seems.

"South Norwood suffers due to it's high street's having a shabby appearance, but it's residential streets are lovely. I took a walk around Woodside and around the green is lovely, it has a peaceful English village feel, but to go 5 minutes from there on Portland Road and you would never guess such a place could exist!!"

A Sainsbury's Local has just opened (today) on Portland Rd, so I'm really hoping that it sets the ball rolling...

But......It amazes me how different the vibe is when I walk down the hill to Norwood Junction or Thornton Heath..... Quite right!

but and it's a BIG but with things like this http://www.tfl.gov.u...t-factsheet.pdf in the piple line, the ripple effect of CP going through the roof will eventually trickle down to South Norwood ( Rebranded something more posh such as 'Norwood Hill' or 'Norwood Lakes' and 'Grangewood lands' ). Going for Norwood Lakes or Lower Norwood

and in time even Thornton Heath will be re branded ( Thornton north Surrey, The Thornton Heathlands anyone??
I reckon The Heath!

#64 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Am I right in thinking that West Norwood used to be called Lower Norwood anyway? But it was renamed West Norwood as 'Lower' sounded inferior to Upper? How prophetic is that by the way....

The 'Heath' is not in Surrey and like other areas is beyond gentrification. And as for Sainsbury's Local moving into an area it certainly doesnt signify a change for the better (IMHO)

#65 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

You are indeed right SLR.

Following a campaign led by The Norwood Press and a local estate agent, Lower Norwood became West Norwood in 1885.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#66 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

The 'Heath' is not in Surrey and like other areas is beyond gentrification. And as for Sainsbury's Local moving into an area it certainly doesnt signify a change for the better (IMHO)

The current demographics of TH was Brixton in the '80s and IMHO TH is not 'beyond gentrification...' You'll find a lot of the people that bought houses in Brixton sold up and moved to TH.

I'd rather a Sainsbury's Local than a dilapidated building or another hairdressers!

#67 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

I'd agree with Darcy on this one - there is some good housing stock (judge not an area by what you see from the main roads) and actually even on the main roads, there is thriving commerce e.g. what look like excellent greengrocers - though it's admittedly unlikely ever to rival High Street Kensington.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#68 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

The current demographics of TH was Brixton in the '80s and IMHO TH is not 'beyond gentrification...' You'll find a lot of the people that bought houses in Brixton sold up and moved to TH.

I'd rather a Sainsbury's Local than a dilapidated building or another hairdressers!

Maybe we should reconvene in another 20 years then! Are you saying that the denizens of Brixton were pondlife? and TH will have to wait until this pond life moves out? It seems that way from what you are saying!

I'm with you on the hairdressers though but we should be careful what we wish for. I remember a few years ago if a Nando's came to your area you were considered up and coming! oh dear

#69 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

... You'll find a lot of the people that bought houses in Brixton sold up and moved to TH.

They did? Wonder why....was it because of the riots?

#70 kibitzer

kibitzer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

After the Brixton riots, many people moved- the estate at the rear of Gipsy Hill station known as the Berridge Road Estate then a new build, many that lived in the Mayall Road/Railton Road were moved in there following the Scarman inquiry. Others sold up and moved south to Thornton Heath, South Norwood, CP and beyond. Much Government money was invested into the Brixton area where the riots took place, Housing Action and General Improvement Areas were declared and the housing was improved no end - I used to visit those areas to deal with grant applications and other housing matters. Nowadays what was an area of poor private housing looks very much like a conservation area and also prices to match especially with the close proximity to the tube station.

#71 Palace_denizen1

Palace_denizen1

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Norwood Junction and Selhurst is an awful dump

#72 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,296 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

So is the estate behind Gipsy hill !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#73 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

The 'Heath' is not in Surrey and like other areas is beyond gentrification.

Thornton Heath is indeed in Surrey - and was once a go to place for families looking for houses with large gardens particularly at the Norbury/Upper Norwood end - nowhere is beyond regeneration....just depends on how long you're prepared to wait. Crystal Palace is pretty unrecognisable from how it was 20 years ago - although it's strong sense of community and identity has always given it an advantage over SN, TH and surrounding...

#74 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

You might want to check your facts. Thornton Heath is NOT in Surrey and hasnt been for over 40 years. I get fed up with expaining it. It is in the LONDON Borough of Croydon. It's population is served by the MET police, the LONDON fire brigade and it's population is not represented in any of Surrey's stats. Just because the post office couldnt be arsed with amending postcodes, having a CR7 postcode makes you as Surrey as the King of Norway.

Richmond and Kingston are also in this bracket, as is Sutton, Morden, Carshalton, Wallington etc etc

#75 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Not as bad as having to deal with residents of Bromley who insist they live in Kent.
Here's map of Surrey [link (might take a couple few seconds to load)].