• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi all. A group of five of us (one couple, three single people) are doing a US road trip at the end of October. We fly into LA and are looking for somewhere to stay for a few nights before heading out to the Big Sur.

We are primarily targeting Santa Monica/Venice Beach area but are willing to consider other places too. We probably won't have a car for the first few days so will be relying on public transport. Anyone have any recommendations please?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#2 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Santa Monica always been my familys fav - best places we stayed were the Loews and the Oceana both on Ocean Ave but if you want to spend a bit more Shutters on the Beach cant be beat . Also the Georgian has great lobby bar , very 1930's .

#3 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Fab thanks FitzRoy - will check those out.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#4 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Sounds a great trip....

but

... into LA and ...will be relying on public transport.

all I can say is hahahahaha....good luck.
Find a place to stay where you won't mind staying put. Or just get a car.

#5 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

I second Shutters on the beach - it's amazing!!! there are also great serviced apartments around the Santa Monica area that are really good value.

#6 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Just stayed at THE HUNTLEY in Santa Monica. Not too sure about prices (was there for work), but I would guess kinda in the middle. Has the most amazing views and a really nice bar on the top floor. Rooms are comfy (GREAT beds) and modern, but not huge. A total must is the loo in the bar! One wall is window floor to ceiling and all you can see is the sea. Quite something :-)
All in all I would definitely recommend.
The HUNTLEY

If you're driving up Big Sur way I would also recommend staying at Moonstone Beach, it's really pretty down there. We just did San Francisco - Monterey - Moonstone Beach - LA. It's really nice if you have a bit of time without having to rush along. Have fun!

mp

Edited by misspoddy, 20 August 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

That's great - thanks guys. Also, thanks misspoddy for the Big Sur recommendations. Our route will be LA > Big Sur (with stops to be decided) > Napa Valley > San Francisco. There are five of us going and agreeing accommodation has been interesting to say the least. I just hope the holiday is a bit more relaxing than the planning has been :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 belo

belo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

How about staying in West Hollywood? I stayed there and largely relayed on public transport. You can get to Santa Monica in about 45 minutes by bus. But, it means you're also more centrally located for the seeing the rest of L.A. There are a couple of Malls in West Hollywood, but there are also loads of vintage shops on Melrose (vast compared to the triangle's offerings and much, much, much cheaper), lots of small boutiques, interesting bars and restaurants, and the excellent LACMA. You can get the bus up to Hollywood Boulevard to have your photo taken by the Chinese Theatre and all of the stars on the pavement, and then get the Metro downtown or to Pasadena.

This hotel http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/ is opposite the farmers market. My brother lives in L.A. and he has recommended this place to a couple of people.

As to Shutters, that is a beautiful hotel. My budget has only ever extended to cocktails there though! (And they were during happy hour)

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Belo. I think we may have found somewhere now but we do have a hotel in West Hollywood as a backup plus a place we saw on airbnb. Farmer's Daughter looks fun but they don't have availability for 5 people on the dates we need. We've got two weeks worth of accommodation to book so budget is quite tight, especially since two of the party no longer have jobs and one is considering a full time PhD! That means that Shutters is well and truly out of our league although it looks fab.

Can't wait to get the accommodation sorted and just look forward to the holiday. Getting to 'done' with this is proving a nightmare as there's always someone in the party who is having a work/study/family crisis and can't possibly attend to the holiday booking this week/next week/ever!!! At least we have our San Francisco accommodation booked, which is something ;).
Mel, Forum Moderator

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LA, Los Angeles, hotels, accommodation